The McTominay Conundrum

ArabFC

1 minute ago, Mr. Brightside said:

McTominay should play in the midfield three (with Gilmour and McGregror) with McGinn pushed up to a second striker role.

I actually like McGinn deeper. He plays there for his club and is good at timing late runs into the box.

With the physicality and experience of McGinn and McTominay in the midfield we wouldn't have gotten overrun like that on Wednesday. 

Possibly with Gilmour or McGregor in a three. But also possibly with Ryan Jack behind them against top sides. Imagine how solid a three of McGinn Jack  McSauce would be.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

There's no creativity in the attack if we have McGinn and McTominay as the support for a striker. We need someone like Christie with a wee bit more guile.

I agree, and you could do that if we went to the back four. But the other important point here is that we aren't good enough to pick the same team or structure no matter the opposition. 

Which isn't to say I'm blaming everything on that, there were some terrible individual performances the other night.

6 hours ago, SpoonTon said:

I agree, and you could do that if we went to the back four. But the other important point here is that we aren't good enough to pick the same team or structure no matter the opposition. 

Which isn't to say I'm blaming everything on that, there were some terrible individual performances the other night.

The converse of that is to ask whether we are good enough to expect our players to shift systems from week to week and to turn up for a big game in a system they haven't played in before.

I was very much against Clarke shift to a back 3 and was hoping each game that he dropped it.

He perserved and was clearly right to do so and it lead to our first qualification in decades (and some very impressive results)

Given Ukraine are better than us, and just had a 6 week training camp together, had he switched to a back 4 he would probably still have lost and would have been hounded for it.

No easy solutions for a manager.

As for McTominay, as much as I rate him as a player he doesn't fit our system and should be on the bench (being first sub for McGregor or Gilmour were they to drop out or lose form). In defence we should be putting in dedicated centre backs, we have enough decent ones at the moment. 

On 03/06/2022 at 21:57, craigkillie said:

The converse of that is to ask whether we are good enough to expect our players to shift systems from week to week and to turn up for a big game in a system they haven't played in before.

I think we've seen changes of shape within Steve Clarke's system can happen. Given we have seen similar shape changes in other games (Israel, Denmark, Austria) I think Steve Clarke worked through a sliding scale against Ukraine as the game got away from us. 3412 is more defensive and cautious at one end of the scale and we have a few variations until we reach 433 towards the end of the game in our attempts to take more risks.

I don't think the shape is the system, it's a changeable element within the system. 

On 03/06/2022 at 21:57, craigkillie said:

I do not know if Cooper has played LCB before but Hanley and McTominay have played CCB and RCB before

11 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Not having any shouts to bin Hanley, but you'd definitely rather have Hendry in a game like tonight's. 

Indeed Hanley is still a starter for me.

As much as Hendry generally did well, he still needed Souttar to rescue him from the shit after naively trying to get to the ball and not getting goal-side.

33 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Indeed Hanley is still a starter for me.

As much as Hendry generally did well, he still needed Souttar to rescue him from the shit after naively trying to get to the ball and not getting goal-side.

I'd start Hendry in every game like that.  By having a ball-playing CB, you rid the need of Gilmour/McGregor dropping deep to get the ball.  He may have made the odd mistake, but it's not like Hanley has been exactly brilliant in the last few games.

Hanley probably necessary against ROI, given the height and strength of their centre backs at set pieces.  McTominay to start ahead of Armstrong to give us some extra height.

For the same reason, SOD might be preferred for Saturday as well.  Patterson would be useful for his pace on Saturday if he's both fit, and we can use him appropriately.  Ralston/Patterson to be back in on Tuesday.  

9 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

it's not like Hanley has been exactly brilliant in the last few games.

What about his recent performances have you disliked? I haven't really looked at it in lots of detail but I thought the way he covered Scott McTominay and Liam Cooper against Ukraine was immense so I'd be interested to know what made you come to that conclusion.

Starts in midfield.

Gets put into the back 3 at HT

Moves back into midfield ten minutes later.

Grow a fcuking set of balls Clarke and make a fcuking decision other then McTominay must play.

🤬

Starts in midfield.
Gets put into the back 3 at HT
Moves back into midfield ten minutes later.
Grow a fcuking set of balls Clarke and make a fcuking decision other then McTominay must play.
[emoji2959]
Fucking mind boggling decision. Showing himself up as clueless

To be fair I thought Scott McTominay was really good in midfield. That's the best I've seen him play in there which is sad really as it'll be lost in the horror of the game.

Edited by 2426255

On 01/06/2022 at 23:42, ArabFC said:

I’ve been red-dotted more for this opinion than anything else ever on PnB and I’ve often said Mark McNulty has some skills.

But can we all please finally agree that Scott McTominay is not a fucking centre back? 🙏 

Play him in midfield or don’t play him at all.

Until Clarke gets past shit like this we’ll never progress.

We’ll never progress.