The McTominay Conundrum

ArabFC

2 hours ago, HailHailHayley said:

Need to get real here, all of those players apart from Shaw would probably get into the Scotland side. At least the squad anyway. So I don't think I'm the one making a silly argument.

Of course he should be in the Scotland squad. We’re relatively shite.

Yip did well. Still think his weaknesses are too big for him to be a regular in this side, but you could see how he's improved even from the Brighton game. He went a few years where the best manager he had was at international level so hopefully having a good one at his club will make a difference.

13 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Was class. He's really started the season well!

Where are we thinking he fits in the side for the upcoming triple header? I’m not sure that RCB will happen anymore with Hendry and Souttar hopefully available, but Billy Gilmour lacking match sharpness might mean McTominay is preferred to partner Callum McGregor in central midfield. 

22 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Where are we thinking he fits in the side for the upcoming triple header? I’m not sure that RCB will happen anymore with Hendry and Souttar hopefully available, but Billy Gilmour lacking match sharpness might mean McTominay is preferred to partner Callum McGregor in central midfield. 

@DonathanIn my opinion it's not about a fixed position for the triple header. Just use him depending on the pre match game plan and adjust based around the game state depending how the games goes - That's what we saw in the last quadruple header and he in my view was good overall in June.

I often get Man United fans saying that Scott McTominay "can't even get into the Scotland midfield"  but I always respond saying this:

image.thumb.png.86f55632def7941552f36174ac45552f.png 

Basically, it depends on what Steve Clarke's approach is to the game. I think he's good wherever he's played and for me is a starter and that's as far as I'd go. One thing I'd note is that when we go to a back-4 it's more often McTominay who plays as the single pivot (#6) and not as you'd maybe expect Gilmour, I thought that was worth adding.

image.thumb.png.7aed5b55f4e247d8418d670bcc90b14e.png

image.thumb.png.553a6f1ed36234bcbb441126d4973f19.png

Edited by 2426255

40 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I don’t see back 4 as particularly likely as long as Tierney and Robertson remain fit. 

I have mentioned before I don't think it's particularly useful to look at it in that way but I won't go into that and to answer your question I wouldn't rule it out totally, but it would be a change from what's gone before if we start with a back-4.

I think we've seen evidence that Scotland would rather start with a back-3, that's quite clear. If games aren't going as planned and we require to take more risks then I think we might see a change during any particular game. 

I don't think the McTominay' s performances in midfield for Manchester Utd will affect the decision though.

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

I have mentioned before I don't think it's particularly useful to look at it in that way but I won't go into that and to answer your question I wouldn't rule it out totally, but it would be a change from what's gone before if we start with a back-4.

I think we've seen evidence that Scotland would rather start with a back-3, that's quite clear. If games aren't going as planned and we require to take more risks then I think we might see a change during any particular game. 

I don't think the McTominay' s performances in midfield for Manchester Utd will affect the decision though.

It won’t affect the decision to play a back three, but it might well get him a spot in the midfield, particularly if Gilmour takes time to settle in on the south coast 

58 minutes ago, Donathan said:

It won’t affect the decision to play a back three, but it might well get him a spot in the midfield, particularly if Gilmour takes time to settle in on the south coast 

Not sure how much club form is factored in. I am aware Steve Clarke has given mixed signals about how much he cares about club form.

If guessing I'd say he'll look at all his midfielders in training at the Oriam and select the combination that best fits into his game plan for each individual match.

The same argument about Billy Gilmour could be made about John Souttar and Jack Hendry who have had ropey starts to the season.

2 hours ago, edinabear said:

Playing really well at the moment. Clarke really needs to play him at centre mid. Mctominay/Gilmour/mcginn. 

Your logic seems to be based on McTominay playing really well. You kind of lose it a bit, therefore, by having the currently non-playing Gilmour over the currently excellent McGregor. Baffling.

17 minutes ago, Delicate Flower said:

Your logic seems to be based on McTominay playing really well. You kind of lose it a bit, therefore, by having the currently non-playing Gilmour over the currently excellent McGregor. Baffling.

I think one of Gilmour (completely lacking match sharpness) or even McGinn (out of form) need to be sent to the bench for Ukraine at home in a couple of weeks. McTominay is on good form in central midfield and has earned the right to start there. McGregor is pretty much unstoppable for me, he’s an absolutely vital ball carrier, dropping deep to support the back three. 

Having said that, Souttar and Hendry are both nowhere to be seen for their respective clubs we are potentially light at RCB which could point to a McTominay start in that role again. I worry that Zinchenko will make absolute mincemeat of him like he did in the playoff.

Robertson has started the season poorly and Tierney is hardly getting a game for Arsenal so I’m wondering if it might even be worth changing the shape to a 4-2-3-1 for this game. Ukraine had the measure of the 3-5-2 and I’m not sure it’s worth playing a system that’s only there as a method of shoehorning them both into the team.

Gordon

Patterson-Hanley-McKenna-Robertson

McTominay-McGregor

Christie-McGinn-Armstrong

Adams

5 hours ago, Delicate Flower said:

It is absolutely impossible to judge the ability of McGregor until he finds some ambition and moves south. He has regularly underperformed in Europe also. Mctominay is playing well at a far higher level.

But the great tactician Steve Clarke will play him at centre half. Baffling