The McTominay Conundrum

ArabFC

Played a role closer to that he played last season under Rangnick and Solskjaer yesterday. Just a short video showing how he helped Manchester United deal with Brentford physically yesterday when he came on at half-time.

7 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

He was good for most of the half but did have a couple of trademark howlers. 

Yep, I included them in the video. it's not my aim to produce a pro-McTominay propaganda piece.

Edited by 2426255

6 hours ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

It's incredible how Man Utd have got to a point where any player is having to throw in tackles like that.  

One would imagine him playing so often may be a part of why Man United have ended up like this.

15 hours ago, craigkillie said:

They were 4-0 down when he came on m8.

They've been outplayed numerous times before when he's been on the park, buddy.

It's genuinely weird that just because he plays for Scotland a load of you think he is not fair game to point out his inadequacies.

1 hour ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

McTominay isn't even a footnote in the book to be written about Man Utd's downfall.

I never said he will be. Him continually playing is a massive part of their continuing slide into obscurity. It looks like one position Ten Haag is actively aggressively trying to sort out.

31 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

They've been outplayed numerous times before when he's been on the park, buddy.

It's genuinely weird that just because he plays for Scotland a load of you think he is not fair game to point out his inadequacies.

I never said he will be. Him continually playing is a massive part of their continuing slide into obscurity. It looks like one position Ten Haag is actively aggressively trying to sort out.

I didn't say they hadn't.  Quite clearly I implied that they are a poor team and he is not the cause.  That's both quite reasonable, and a direct challenge to your daft statement.

The issue here is the focus on a player like McTominay, which is also what the disgruntled minority of loudmouth Man Utd fans like to do.  Interestingly, those pundits/former players/coaches with a view on Man Utd seldom lay any of the blame at his feet.  That much is obvious, because it would be ridiculous.

It's also worth noting that Mourinho, Solskjær, Rangnick, and Ten Haag have played him.  I know it seems somewhat out there, buddy, but they may just know more than you do.

Ten Haag is 'aggressively' trying to source a defensive midfielder.  McTominay isn't and has never been a defensive mid.

He's also trying to find strikers, a back up goalkeeper (and an actual goalkeeper?), more centre halves, and various other positions.

McTominay isn't world class and no one is claiming him to be.  It's not as bewildering as you make out that a Tartan Army Forum might have a slightly more positive slant on a Scottish player than other forums, but equally I don't know your biases or your apparent motivation to emphasise so far in the other direction as to make yourself look a little silly.

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

I think he's quality personally. A lot of people focus more on the negatives - of which there are a few - but for Scotland I think he's been brilliant. I started watching Manchester United this season to see how he is getting on at club level and in pre-season plus the games against Brighton and Brentford he's been pretty good on the whole too.

This is based around anecdotal observations, but the same thing that Man United fans don't like about him I've noticed him doing for Scotland too and that's lose possession either by carrying the ball forwards, running into trouble and turning the ball over or being inaccurate with simpler passes. His vertical passing is really good.

Edited by 2426255

11 hours ago, craigkillie said:

No surprise that as soon as McTominay is back in the team they don't fold like a cheap deck of cards. A dominant display even with his partner not really showing up alongside him.

Even the best teams need a 'water carrier' type player - and I mean that with the greatest of respect. The Galacticos were only able to be Galacticos in the early 2000s because of Makelele for instance. McTominay is nothing like Makelele was as a player, he is much more dynamic, but in some ways I think he performs a similar role. His job is to create the environment for the flair players to play, and he does it well.

I thought he was excellent last night.  He has an element to his game of slightly overplaying it and getting caught with the ball, but he also has a tremendous ability to break from the back and through pressing lines.

I don't disagree with the 'water carrier' comment.  He's the type of player you love to have in your team, but are unlikely to spend a transfer fee on.  Man Utd have had dozens over the years, and the lack of such quality in the last decade (seemingly replaced by overpaid, massive transfers) has no doubt been a contributory factor in their regression.

12 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

I thought he was excellent last night.  He has an element to his game of slightly overplaying it and getting caught with the ball, but he also has a tremendous ability to break from the back and through pressing lines.

I don't disagree with the 'water carrier' comment.  He's the type of player you love to have in your team, but are unlikely to spend a transfer fee on.  Man Utd have had dozens over the years, and the lack of such quality in the last decade (seemingly replaced by overpaid, massive transfers) has no doubt been a contributory factor in their regression.

Pretty much this, he can be very effective when he gets the ball and plays it simple, when he tries to be too fancy he's often found out but if there's space he can certainly get up the park or by a few players. 

Cant believe he didn't get booked though, cost me £120 😆