The McTominay Conundrum

ArabFC

I think Scott McTominay was good on the ball against Armenia. I clipped every occasion he had the ball in the 1st half and it showcases the value he brings to the team. I thought he'd had a quiet game originally, but to be fair after re-watching he was clearly more involved than I had first thought.

I think he was one of our better and most consistent performers across the June camp as a whole and the way he breaks the lines with his passing and links with the midfield generally was excellent.

Defensively, I think he performed fairly well in the first half.

Edited by 2426255

7 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

I remember @Satoshi saying he'd start for England.

Funny guy.

There is absolutely no doubt that McTominay would be a regular in that England squad, and would have far more caps than the likes of Harry Winks.

Utterly bizarre you don't see this.

Or have three successive managers started him regularly for man Utd because he is rubbish?

6 hours ago, Satoshi said:

There is absolutely no doubt that McTominay would be a regular in that England squad, and would have far more caps than the likes of Harry Winks.

You said he'd be ahead of Phillips. A regular starter for England who has just completed a £45m move to Manchester City.

Still, Olè gave home game time.

54 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

You said he'd be ahead of Phillips. A regular starter for England who has just completed a £45m move to Manchester City.

Still, Olè gave home game time.

He probably would be, certainly ahead of him in Leeds' dire season last year. Phillips was one of their worst players in the last international breaker, he had a shocker and would roundly criticised.

He's going to city to replace Fernandinho as a squad player, similar to Fabian delph. He's not a patch on Rodri of course (neither is McTominay).

And not just Ole rated McTominay, Mourinho creates the managers player of the year award just to give it to him. Then Ragnick played him regularly.

Of the many internationals to be told they can leave man utd McTominay is no where near that list and will almost certainly be a regular for them next season.

The much maligned Fred beside him is a regular for Brazil.

But still you think last season Phillips would be ahead of him? And the season before that Winks?

Idk what you have against him, it's totally bizarre tbh. McTominays career to date is significantly more impressive than Phillips, and I think it's likely he will make more appearances than him this year.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Phillips missed a large chunk of last season injured, hence why Leeds performed so poorly.

And when he played he had a shocker, including being one of the worst players in the international break.

He's a year older than McTomiany and has 49 appearances Vs his 120 in the League. And 20 of them came in his abysmal second season playing for a team in the relegation fight.

As I said utterly bizarre you think he is better, McTominay had his best ever game against Leeds going head to head against Phillips in bielsa man marking system. He ran the game and scored twice (Phillips rated the worst player on BBC and was hooked at half time). He even outplayed him in the Scotland England euros match.

You can think he's better if you want to, stacks of evidence against such a view though. Do you think winks is better as well? Fabian delph?

McSauce plays his role consistently well for Scotland whether that be in midfield or defence, I don't think it's a conundrum particularly and more a strength that he has that versatility. It works for me, has been a good innovation and I hope we see it continue in future games tbh.

I thought his passing abilities could have improved our ability to find a way out of defence in the Ireland v Scotland game. He still had a good game in midfield though.

Edited by Loominous

Guest Livi1

He’s a box-box midfielder and should only be played in such a role. And it’s a shame that he never is.
For example, for Scotland I’d go with a 4/4/2 or a 4/1/3/1/1 

the midfield 4 would consist of 

Tierney

McTominay Gilmour McGregor (Turnbull)

That is McTominay’s position, where he would be most effective. 

Edited by Livi1

• 3 weeks later...

I have been watching Man Utd in pre-season under Ten Hag and McSauce has been involved more in an advanced midfield role (right sided #8). Thought it was just worth mentioning as I know a lot of people on here think he is better suited to a role which lets him play higher up.

I watched the Man Utd -Atletico Madrid game today. McSauce was playing the same role for Ten Hag he had been playing previously in pre-season.

To give a basic idea of where he would play from: His starting position tended to be on the right side of a double pivot when United didn't have the ball and playing in a more advanced midfield role when Man Utd had possession. Occasionally he would drop deeper to help the centre backs and Fred create a numerical superiority. He was decent today and did his job within the system without being outstanding.

I didn't watch Manchester United under Solskjaer and so I don't know if this is different to how he was being used last season at club level.

1393700673_2022-07-30(6).thumb.png.c103f1efe949d8514ac1127a1f4d0999.png

Not too dissimilar to his roles for Scotland when he is deployed in midfield. There are times where he has done all of the above in a Scotland shirt. I think the fact he has played as a centre back for Scotland brings extra know how and a wider perspective to his game for Man Utd. It's pretty clear to me why he is consistently chosen in their starting XI.

Edited by 2426255

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it was quite interesting to follow up on the role Erik Ten Hag had Scott McTominay playing in pre-season by looking at Manchester United's defeat to Brighton. If you imagine the role John McGinn plays for Scotland then I'd say you'd be in the correct ball park when comparing Scott McTominay's role under Erik Ten Hag. I've only had time to look at the first half*