Scotland v Armenia

Now that we’ve built the team into world beaters, watched them humped, then slaughtered them, it’s time to get behind them again. Is anyone going to this?

I was going to watch on the Telly but I can’t be fucked getting a subscription for Premier Sports. I’d be happy enough to pay for the game but there doesn’t seem to be an option to do that.

6 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Don't cry.

You can't help that your patter is pish.

I'll be going about my day now. Feel free to tag me into multiple more posts and replies but I just can't associate myself further with this sort of boring pish.

Thank you.

No tears, just a little gentle mockery.

I know you prefer direct aggressive abuse, so long as the other guy's on the ropes, but it's just not my style.

1 minute ago, accies1874 said:

This was our route to Euro 2020 and could well be our route to Euro 2024. Definitely not meaningless.

Yeah I know everyone's a bit deflated from last night but this is a very important competition. Not only would winning our group give the safety net of a playoff but it also would get us seeded in pot 2 which would make us favourites to qualify through the main path.

I think goal difference could end up being critical in such a small group so it's important to try and run up a few at home on (on paper) our weakest opponent. I'll predict a 3-1 win. McGinn opens the scoring, Che Adams make it 2-0 early in the second half, then they pull one back, but Grant Hanley makes the points safe from a corner with 15 mins left.

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

Yeah I know everyone's a bit deflated from last night but this is a very important competition. Not only would winning our group give the safety net of a playoff but it also would get us seeded in pot 2 which would make us favourites to qualify through the main path.

I think goal difference could end up being critical in such a small group so it's important to try and run up a few at home on (on paper) our weakest opponent. I'll predict a 3-1 win. McGinn opens the scoring, Che Adams make it 2-0 early in the second half, then they pull one back, but Grant Hanley makes the points safe from a corner with 15 mins left.

Is it not head to head before goal difference as a tiebreaker since it's a UEFA competition? If so it would seem unlikely running up the score v Armenia is going to matter too much unless it's to avoid relegation.

1 minute ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Is it not head to head before goal difference as a tiebreaker since it's a UEFA competition? If so it would seem unlikely running up the score v Armenia is going to matter too much unless it's to avoid relegation.

Head to head, yes, but not inconceivable by any means that we'd finish joint top with Ukraine and have identical head to head records (Especially with away goals being scrapped)

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

Worth mentioning here that the best runner up from League B will be second seed for the Euro qualifiers as well.

1 minute ago, eez-eh said:

Worth mentioning here that the best runner up from League B will be second seed for the Euro qualifiers as well.

Didn't know that. Is that because of Germany qualifying automatically as hosts so only 15 league A teams?

14 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Didn't know that. Is that because of Germany qualifying automatically as hosts so only 15 league A teams?

Aye since Germany won’t be taking up a place in the seeding it will shift down.

They owe us a performance after last night. Not just in this game, but in the three games coming up. Anything less than 7 points will be a disaster. 

4-0 and a bit of pride restored. 

Gordon

Patterson Hanley McKenna Hickey

Gilmour McGregor

McGinn McTominay Christie

Dykes

My thinking is that this game is lowest risk of all those we have coming up in which we can try something a little different.

No Tierney so bin the back 3.
Put McTominay in midfield but with a box to box role (wasn't sure how to indicate that in my line up).
Give Robbo a rest and let Hickey play on the side on which he has more experience. I feel he was hung out to dry a bit last night and the reaction has been way OTT.

12 hours ago, qos_75 said:

They owe us a performance after last night. Not just in this game, but in the three games coming up. Anything less than 7 points will be a disaster. 

4-0 and a bit of pride restored. 

7 points would not be avoiding disaster - if we get that start we'll win the group IMO.

5 points would be bearable, 3 or below is disaster material.

15 minutes ago, Estragon said:

7 points would not be avoiding disaster - if we get that start we'll win the group IMO.

5 points would be bearable, 3 or below is disaster material.

Two wins against Armenia and a point in Dublin should be what we are aiming for, IMO. If it ends up being a point in both of the away games then so be it, but that would leave us probably needing to take 4 points off Ukraine.

Ideally we take 6 points off Armenia, 4 off Ireland, 2-3 off Ukraine. 12-13 points is usually enough to top a 4 team group. 

13 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Alright I'm over the match the other night. 

Anyone in the Armenia team that sticks out? 

Last competitive game was a 4-1 defeat to Germany in November. They played a 5-4-1.

Star man was Mkhitaryan on the right wing but he's retired now. Really not seeing anyone else that can cause us many issues.

11 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Alright I'm over the match the other night. 

Anyone in the Armenia team that sticks out? 

Nobody that I recognise, although as I get older that's saying less and less. They've got a boy on 48 caps that plays for Slovan Bratislava, a lot of players at the same club side (Alashkert) that can be a concern at this level. 

I'm looking forward to it as well. Wednesdays disappointment remains, but this has been a great competition for us over the years - hopefully this is another success. 

A win here, before a wee hard fought draw between Armenia and Ireland next weekend would be great 👍