Scotland v Armenia

19 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

It was some buzz when San Marino nearly scored against us tbh.

I've always found getting bothered about shite teams scoring a goal against you to be a bit weird. I remember folk going on about how embarrassing it was that Gibraltar had scored against us at Hampden, even though we battered them 6-1. Bad teams can still score goals without too much hassle.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

I've always found getting bothered about shite teams scoring a goal against you to be a bit weird. I remember folk going on about how embarrassing it was that Gibraltar had scored against us at Hampden, even though we battered them 6-1. Bad teams can still score goals without too much hassle.

I actually found them scoring against us quite amusing. It was a very attacking lineup IIRC, I don't think Strachan was too bothered about defending in that game.

Considering rotation and reactions to the Ukraine game, I think this is a harder lineup to predict than a week ago.

- McTominay could well replace Gilmour in midfield, but McGregor tends to get rotated these days so may well be again. 

- Robertson could get a rest, though I'd imagine he'll be raring to go.

- While I think Adams will start, there's a (slight) chance Clarke will want to try something new up front like Moldova at home. 

- Clarke's shown faith in Hendry over the last 12 months or so, so is he the guy to come in if McTominay moves into midfield or is it Souttar?

Providing everyone's fit, I'd go with:

Gordon
Souttar Hanley McKenna
Patterson Gilmour McGregor Robertson
McGinn Adams Christie

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The corollary to that is that we can't get too excited when we score against good teams. If we can't moan about Gibraltar's one goal, then we can't celebrate Dave Narey's toepoke that gave us 15 glorious minutes of beating Brazil in 1982.

1 minute ago, Stellaboz said:

Didn't he play one centre back that day?

Tbf he had very defensive full-backs in Hutton and Robertson.

ETA: It's weird thinking of them in the same team. Belong in very much different eras in my head.

Edited by accies1874

1 minute ago, accies1874 said:

ETA: It's weird thinking of them in the same team. Belong in very much different eras in my head.

I had genuinely forgotten all about Alan Hutton until he popped up on Sportscene a few months back.

Not sure why, as I always thought he was great for Scotland.

2 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

James McFadden and Scott Gemmill played together for Scotland.

6 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I actually found them scoring against us quite amusing. It was a very attacking lineup IIRC, I don't think Strachan was too bothered about defending in that game.

Yep it was a back three, but rather than the usual three centre backs with two wing backs, he basically played a single CB and two full backs. I think he ended up having to make a change pretty early on. 

3 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Yep it was a back three, but rather than the usual three centre backs with two wing backs, he basically played a single CB and two full backs. I think he ended up having to make a change pretty early on. 

Ikechi Anya was interviewed after the game and was asked about the goal that was conceded. He sounded gutted to be asked about that.

What happened to him BTW? He seems to have disappeared.

Ikechi Anya was interviewed after the game and was asked about the goal that was conceded. He sounded gutted to be asked about that.
Retired a few years back. Quite an unusual career really, with his 4 years or so for us being quite the high point.

27 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:
41 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Retired a few years back. Quite an unusual career really, with his 4 years or so for us being quite the high point.

Shame, I liked him. I always thought he was younger than he is.

Edited by Richey Edwards

26 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

What book is it?

Home and Away by Karl Ove Knausgaard. It's a book of letters between him and his Swedish pal written during the 2014 world cup. So it's at least a little appropriate for the company. 

There's a Ghanaian lad and one from Slovakia too. High level of diversity here.

Only seen one glengarry too.

Genuinely excited for this game now.

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

Considering rotation and reactions to the Ukraine game, I think this is a harder lineup to predict than a week ago.

- McTominay could well replace Gilmour in midfield, but McGregor tends to get rotated these days so may well be again. 

- Robertson could get a rest, though I'd imagine he'll be raring to go.

- While I think Adams will start, there's a (slight) chance Clarke will want to try something new up front like Moldova at home. 

- Clarke's shown faith in Hendry over the last 12 months or so, so is he the guy to come in if McTominay moves into midfield or is it Souttar?

Providing everyone's fit, I'd go with:

Gordon
Souttar Hanley McKenna
Patterson Gilmour McGregor Robertson
McGinn Adams Christie

As long as we go out strong, I'm happy.  I'd be more than happy with that team.  

The dream would be coasting at half time, with the ability to see new faces and rest key players in the second half.  Unlikely, I know...

8 minutes ago, velo army said:

Home and Away by Karl Ove Knausgaard. It's a book of letters between him and his Swedish pal written during the 2014 world cup. So it's at least a little appropriate for the company. 

There's a Ghanaian lad and one from Slovakia too. High level of diversity here.

Only seen one glengarry too.

Genuinely excited for this game now.

Oh, I've seen that book mentioned on here previously but have not read it. It's meant to be good. Are you enjoying it?

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

I often think fans are guilty of not realising that football managers obviously know a lot more about the game than us, but then you get belters like that lineup.

The village idiot could've pointed out the flaw in the system.