Scotland v Armenia

47 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I'm not saying Adam's isn't a decent striker but last night he was pants M8, A sharp Adams should be getting a brace last night against a poor Armenian team.
Having Christie and Armstrong supporting him and McGinn playing slightly deeper last night should've gave Adam's the right time and space to play in.

He really wasn’t though.

Armenia’s entire tactic was to attempt to deny people space in the box, which they did by basically never having any defenders more than a couple of yards from the box. It’s tricky to create space in those circumstances, and there was also a few times where Armenia’s centre halves doubled up on him (Ralston’s goal for example). Thought there was another few times where he took up good positions and, with a bit more luck, would have had a tap in (Robertson’s shot - if the keeper knocks that out rather than wide, he’s scoring easily).

He ran the channels well, and one of their defenders almost certainly should have had a second yellow for a foul on him on one occasion when he did. He also pressed tremendously well (as did the whole team) which was a big part of the reason why Armenia were so poor as they usually gave the ball away under any pressure.

His finishing is a concern, and there’s no getting away from that. But the rest of his game is much, much better than any of our other strikers, and he’s obviously a better option than playing Ryan Christie out of position. 

5 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

He really wasn’t though.

Armenia’s entire tactic was to attempt to deny people space in the box, which they did by basically never having any defenders more than a couple of yards from the box. It’s tricky to create space in those circumstances, and there was also a few times where Armenia’s centre halves doubled up on him (Ralston’s goal for example). Thought there was another few times where he took up good positions and, with a bit more luck, would have had a tap in (Robertson’s shot - if the keeper knocks that out rather than wide, he’s scoring easily).

He ran the channels well, and one of their defenders almost certainly should have had a second yellow for a foul on him on one occasion when he did. He also pressed tremendously well (as did the whole team) which was a big part of the reason why Armenia were so poor as they usually gave the ball away under any pressure.

His finishing is a concern, and there’s no getting away from that. But the rest of his game is much, much better than any of our other strikers, and he’s obviously a better option than playing Ryan Christie out of position. 

Have to agree with all of this.   He has a certain tendency of trying to create the optimal opportunity rather than shooting early.  He does that for Southampton as well.  A couple of times we won the ball in their penalty area and the chance was lost.

He isn't a brilliant goalscorer, much in the same way that Miller wasn't.  He, however, is a better player and adds more to our game.

He's still only 25 so there's opportunity to grow, and develop in the position we require.  I also imagine that games against Ukraine and ROI will suit him better given the greater space they'll afford.  A game like yesterday probably suits a penalty-area striker.  The only player we have like that would be Stewart, but unfortunately he hasn't yet been tried enough to start.  Perhaps next week will offer that.

Maybe my Livi bias is kicking in here, but I still think we've performed better with Dykes as a solo forward than Adams. Adams is clearly the more gifted player, but in a one-up-top system then Dykes knows how to play that role very well. He's more powerful than Adams, is a better judge of when to hold the ball up and when to run in behind, and (I can't believe I'm saying this about Lyndon fucking Dykes) is a better goalscorer at the moment.

Adams is clearly the more gifted player however, and if we can find a system to play to his strengths then I imagine we'd be a much better team for it.

I actually think Kenny Miller is a good comparison for Adams, not in terms of talent (Adams is playing at a higher level than Miller did), but purely in terms of playing style. They’re about the same height, neither being a big target man, but instead they play the lone striker role by running for days and using their pace against tired defenders. Neither were hugely prolific, but both would chip in with a solid but unspectacular number of goals. 

7 hours ago, Steven W said:

This was my experience too. Two Wednesday nights in a row I've took the car - never again.

And yet I often I read on line of folks saying how quickly they got away. Back in the house for half ten etc ..

In my experience it's best to park further away and give yourself a longer walk.

20 minutes extra on shanks's pony could save you being stuck in traffic for an hour.

2 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I'm not questioning his work rate i'm questioning his instinct for goal,Clarke knew the tactics of the Armenian's before the game he knew there would be no space in behind knew it would be tight in and around the box if Adams can't find wee pockets or a half yard of space then hes no good for a game like this one which proved to be the case, a bit more guile in and around the box eg.(Christie plus Turnbull) or Ross Stewart should've been the preferred option keeping Adams fresh for Ireland. 
Over the last two games the in game management has been poor,we've got the players on the bench if it's not going to plan.

32 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I'm not questioning his work rate i'm questioning his instinct for goal,Clarke knew the tactics of the Armenian's before the game he knew there would be no space in behind knew it would be tight in and around the box if Adams can't find wee pockets or a half yard of space then hes no good for a game like this one which proved to be the case, a bit more guile in and around the box eg.(Christie plus Turnbull) or Ross Stewart should've been the preferred option keeping Adams fresh for Ireland. 
Over the last two games the in game management has been poor,we've got the players on the bench if it's not going to plan.

I simply don’t agree. ‘Instinct for goal’ isn’t the only measure of whether someone is a good striker, and Adams (usually) makes us a better side despite not scoring very often. I like both Turnbull and, particularly, Christie as players but fundamentally they do a totally different job from Adams. They both massively benefit from having someone else lead the line in front of them, as that opens up the space in which they operate best. I don’t think either could be nearly as good if they were the one leading the line.

I don’t know what you’re on about with ‘game management when it isn’t going to plan’ for last night given it was the most comfortable win we’ve had in a long, long time. Fucking Moldova and the Faroes gave us much more bother. 

27 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

That's a bit harsh.  Game management, if we're judging by performances and results, was bang on.  The defensive changes worked perfectly, and only some profligate shooting by McGinn and the expected pedestrian pace of the last 30 minutes stopped it being 4/5.  There's no reason that playing Stewart for the second half would have resulted in anything different.

With respect to SC, he's capped three teenagers since he came in.  I don't have the data to hand, but I'm pretty sure no one has done that this Century.  He's given a chance to plenty of players, and either dropped those who aren't good enough or not looked at them a second time (Shankland, McBurnie, Burke, Griffiths, Findlay, Palmer, Devlin, Brophy...)

Brown and Stewart need more game time and given a serious chance, but of all the criticisms of SC, giving opportunity isn't really one of them (also, with the caveat that there isn't a whole lot of opportunities now with the Nations League and Euro/World Cup Qualifiers).

4 hours ago, velo army said:

Park your car anywhere between Hampden and Kings Park avenue. My cousin parks where I used to live on Kingsacre Road. It's a 10min walk from the ground and from there you can drive towards Shawfield and from there it's easy enough to hop on the motorway. I got a lift to the Cathedral (was getting my bus) last week and we encountered no delays in getting there from where he'd parked.

We parked at Calder Street and was back in Dalkeith by 20 past 11. 

We parked at Calder Street and was back in Dalkeith by 20 past 11. 

A wise place to park, I was two streets down from Calder Street and it took us nearly an hour to get that far.
I think I will go back to my previous parking space near the bowling club then driving up to the M8 next time.

5 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I simply don’t agree. ‘Instinct for goal’ isn’t the only measure of whether someone is a good striker, and Adams (usually) makes us a better side despite not scoring very often. I like both Turnbull and, particularly, Christie as players but fundamentally they do a totally different job from Adams. They both massively benefit from having someone else lead the line in front of them, as that opens up the space in which they operate best. I don’t think either could be nearly as good if they were the one leading the line.

I don’t know what you’re on about with ‘game management when it isn’t going to plan’ for last night given it was the most comfortable win we’ve had in a long, long time. Fucking Moldova and the Faroes gave us much more bother. 

Being a good team mate is the low end of the scale,keepers make saves,defenders defend,strikers score goals it's the bottom line M8.
I get it there is no i in team hes a 1 goal in 4 games striker it's not good enough.

A wise place to park, I was two streets down from Calder Street and it took us nearly an hour to get that far.
I think I will go back to my previous parking space near the bowling club then driving up to the M8 next time.

Wee tip if you’re parked around about there, drive north up Hollybrook Street, round past the new retail park and get onto the M74 at polmadie from the North side. So much quicker.

On 08/06/2022 at 21:20, Bairnardo said:

The first half was a very good performance. The second has seen us come under no threat of a comeback and has predictably dropped off.

Given the Ukraine game, the changes made amd the dominance so far, I'm having a hard time seeing how the team don't get decent pass marks tonight

OK. I should know not to post when I have a few beers and wines in me…the posts were largely unfair (shite). Time to admit it 🤷‍♂️

I do agree Bairnardo with your more reasoned summary. I watched the highlights today and with a bit of perspective in the cold light of day it was a decent enough performance. With a little more luck we could have scored 2 or 3 more goals. 

Armenia we’re not up too much it has to be said. I don’t expect them to be as bad in Yerevan, but hopefully our dominance last night will give us the edge next midweek. 

Win v ROI and all is well in the world. We really need to if we want to beat Ukraine to top spot.