Scotland v Armenia

4 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Indeed, I remember in a 2010 world cup North Korea using this tactic managed to successfully hold Brazil for 55 minutes until Maicon scored a pretty bizarre goal that was a keeper error. Ended up 2-1 in the end.

Particularly surprising as the evidence suggests many people in North Korea have chronic parasite problems due to the unsanitary conditions there.

One of the more random things I've read on here lately, but I like it.

I think we struggle to produce goalscorers due to a lack of iron in the diet of Scottish mothers.

7 minutes ago, Steven W said:

This was my experience too. Two Wednesday nights in a row I've took the car - never again.

And yet I often I read on line of folks saying how quickly they got away. Back in the house for half ten etc ..

Is it cathcart road, over prospecthill, then onto the motorway at Polmadie? Even at normal times that's brutal. There's lots of other ways you can go to avoid it. Where do you normally park?

Re the Patterson, Ralston, SOD debate.
There's no need to slate any of them.
They're all slightly different and offer different options to the team, which is a good thing.
Ralston has obviously had a great season and despite antics with Neymar a few years ago, seems to have a relatively sensible head on him.
Patterson is obviously good in an attacking sense, getting us up the pitch and has bags of enery.
SOD if you give him a job to keep tabs on a player (Eg Grealish, Alaba) he will be fine as has been so far.
I'd argue you can use them 'Horses for courses' depending on the game.

Ralston had a nice game, and he showed you pretty much everything he is as a player, both good and bad.

pros: takes up good positions, is athletic and willing and has now learned how to use that

cons: he has absolutely no crossing ability whatsoever

He’s earned a shot to get minutes against a better team to show what he can do. 

4 minutes ago, Richie said:

Re the Patterson, Ralston, SOD debate.
There's no need to slate any of them.
They're all slightly different and offer different options to the team, which is a good thing.
Ralston has obviously had a great season and despite antics with Neymar a few years ago, seems to have a relatively sensible head on him.
Patterson is obviously good in an attacking sense, getting us up the pitch and has bags of enery.
SOD if you give him a job to keep tabs on a player (Eg Grealish, Alaba) he will be fine as has been so far.
I'd argue you can use them 'Horses for courses' depending on the game.

Feel like O’Donnell is probably done now. With three different young players have been preferred to him in recent games, it’s hard to see him getting the job back.

GK - Gordon /// Kelly /// Clarke

RWB - Patterson /// Ralston

RCB - Souttar /// Hendry

CB - Hanley /// Cooper

LCB - Tierney /// McKenna

LWB - Robertson /// Hickey

DLP - McGregor /// McLean

B2B - Gilmour /// McTominay

CAM - McGinn /// Armstrong

SS - Christie /// Brown

CF - Adams /// Dykes

1 hour ago, GAD said:

Is it cathcart road, over prospecthill, then onto the motorway at Polmadie? Even at normal times that's brutal. There's lots of other ways you can go to avoid it. Where do you normally park?

Yeah - exactly that. Parked at the Clyde Valley College last night and last week.

Ralston was fine. Patterson has more going forward which is valuable in a side which struggles to create but they are both good options and Ramsay and maybe even Ashby will be in the mix going forward. It shouldn't be a problem position any more, Clarke fucked up against Ukraine. 

The real problem is our attack with neither Adams or Dykes having real quality and McGinn either scoring or contributing nothing from the attacking midfield role. I often feel that when subs are made late in this type of game it's because the manager doesn't want a selection problem caused by the likes of Brown, Stewart (or Turnbull) coming on and doing well. By only giving them a few minutes no one can criticise Clarke for picking Adams again in the next fixture despite his lack of form. 

Edited by Detournement

23 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Ralston was fine. Patterson has more going forward which is valuable in a side which struggles to create but they are both good options and Ramsay and maybe even Ashby will be in the mix going forward. It shouldn't be a problem position any more, Clarke fucked up against Ukraine. 

The real problem is our attack with neither Adams or Dykes having real quality and McGinn either scoring or contributing nothing from the attacking midfield role. I often feel that when subs are made late in this type of game it's because the manager doesn't want a selection problem caused by the likes of Brown, Stewart (or Turnbull) coming on and doing well. By only giving them a few minutes no one can criticise Clarke for picking Adams again in the next fixture despite his lack of form. 

He will pick Adams again because he is our best striker by an absolute fucking mile. Anyone criticising him for playing Adams is an utter moron. 

6 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

He will pick Adams again because he is our best striker by an absolute fucking mile. Anyone criticising him for playing Adams is an utter moron. 

If Ross Stewart had came on with half an hour to go last night and grabbed a double there would be calls to start him. 

Adams and McGinn are out of form and Clarke but Clarke is determined not to create any other options. 

Edited by Detournement

Clarke does not give a tiny f**k about "calls" for anything. He kept Adams on in the hope he would get a goal because he will be starting the next two games on account of being miles better than the other available strikers.

2 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

For the past twenty years or more, we've had people saying, "<x> is never good enough to play for Scotland, get him tae f**k". Completely missing the point that they're one of the best players we have available in that position.

You get the impression some folk think Vogts/Smith/McLeish/Burley/Levein/Strachan/Clarke have some Law and Dalglish regens stuffed down their drawers and just don't want to share with the class.

1 hour ago, G51 said:

Ralston had a nice game, and he showed you pretty much everything he is as a player, both good and bad.

pros: takes up good positions, is athletic and willing and has now learned how to use that

cons: he has absolutely no crossing ability whatsoever

He’s earned a shot to get minutes against a better team to show what he can do. 

He is getting better at crosses although he often crosses at the same pace at a shot which can be frustrating. I think he got in to nearly double figures for assists this season but a lot of them were charging in to the box and sucking a few players in before laying off the ball. 

Edited by gannonball

37 minutes ago, Detournement said:

He didn't score against Moldova, Denmark or Poland yet was our best player in the first two and good in the third. Even last night, when he was nowhere near his best, his inswinging passes over to the left were a regular threat, plus he's our best set-piece taker. 

We never have any issue getting away towards the city centre post match, parking around Cathkin/Holyrood, might be better going that way then doubling back? 

I am going to do that again next game. I normally parked near Queens Park Bowling club and head up through the city to the M8.
This time I had parked in Allison Street thinking that it was nearer the M74 junction. I didn’t get onto the M74 till near 11pm. Lesson learned.

1 minute ago, accies1874 said:

He didn't score against Moldova, Denmark or Poland yet was our best player in the first two and good in the third. Even last night, when he was nowhere near his best, his inswinging passes over to the left were a regular threat, plus he's our best set-piece taker. 

Over the past two games he hasn't done much other than shoot poorly and looks unfit and a bit too heavy. Ukraine were taking our whole midfield out the game with a few passes because McGinn and Gilmour were miles off it.  He still deserves a start but last night was an opportunity to see if other attacking options could step up.