Scotland v Armenia

Discounting the covid games I think this could be the lowest home crowd of the Clarke era so far. Never seen the area round the stadium so quiet. Could've walked into The Clockwork or The Beechwood an hour before kick off. Public transport situation is a shocker.

I appreciate we need to use the squad but it feels like he's picking the defence out the tombola every time Tierney is unavailable. Not sure it needs a back five tonight but if that's the set shape maybe it's a good idea to give players game time in it.

Would fancy we'll win well if we score early. Quite like the creativity in midfield.

£2 free bet on Armstrong to score two or more at 20/1 HWFG

7 hours ago, Loominous said:

Ideally the fans would support the team in numbers regardless of results but across most of football that never happens. It seems pretty straight forward to me, the team have to get the fans back on board after the disappointment of last Wednesday.

If we start the NL campaign poorly attendances will decrease but if performances - but more so results - are good people will get more excited and come to see the team. The onus is on the players and team to bring the fans back and I think if we get an attendance around 40,000 tonight I'd say that's really good when you throw in the crappy train issues and the opponents we are playing. 

Going back a few years there was an article in " The Scotsman " after we had cuffed the Faroes at the beginning of a qualifying group that pointed out how the fairly high crowd compared favourably with other attendances around Europe

42 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Oh, I've seen that book mentioned on here previously but have not read it. It's meant to be good. Are you enjoying it?

It's class. His pal is a Swedish writer living in Brazil and they both love different aspects of football. Their team preferences reflect their personalities and they talk about that a lot. It's great how they both talk of football as emotional rather than rational, and how they offer insights into their own lives, upbringing and culture. 

Absolutely fine with Ralston playing.

It’s Armenia at home, there’s nothing to learn from playing a (half-fit) O’Donnell. We know he’s a steady option but this is one of the few chances you get to see how someone else fits in.

This should be an easy win but I am afraid that I do not have much confidence in Clarke. His comment about "work in progress" after the Ukraine debacle did not impress. How much time does he need? Ok he qualified for the Euros, where they had one decent performance out of three, but only through a new easier route that was not available to his predecessors and he has far more quality to pick from than some of them had. He needs to get his act together quickly now!

9 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I don't think he's very good, but it's hard to argue the role he plays at Celtic isn't an attacking one.

He plays in a back four with Celtic though, i would have preferred if they'd taken out one of McKenna/Hendry/Souttar and replaced them with a central midfielder, maybe i'm just fed up after having watched a back 5 all season long.

Edited by Miguel Simao

3 minutes ago, Miguel Simao said:

He plays in a back four with Celtic though, i would have preferred if they'd taken out one of McKenna/Hendry/Souttar and replaced them with a central midfielder, maybe i'm just fed up after having watched a back 5 all season long.

Patterson plays/played a back 4 with his club as well tbf.

Anthony Ralston being shite is my hill, and I’m more than happy to die on it.

That said, I don’t have a major problem with him playing tonight. Hickey wasn’t very good there against Ukraine, Patterson presumably isn’t fully fit yet and Ralston is more attacking than SOD. 

Playing in a back four doesn't really matter when you spend most of the game 30 yards from the other team's goal. Robertson plays in a four for Liverpool too.

My only concern about Ralston, aside from his general lack of talent, is that he takes up a more central position in attack with Celtic whereas ours tend to play a bit wider.

Discounting the covid games I think this could be the lowest home crowd of the Clarke era so far.

Central station is absolutely empty.
Zero queue at the railings they have put out.

Still fairly chunky queues getting into the North Stand, albeit nothing like last week. There were only about 20k against San Marino and 19k against Kazakhstan, I'd guess there will still be more than that.

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Playing in a back four doesn't really matter when you spend most of the game 30 yards from the other team's goal. Robertson plays in a four for Liverpool too.

My only concern about Ralston, aside from his general lack of talent, is that he takes up a more central position in attack with Celtic whereas ours tend to play a bit wider.

Tbf, that’s most of our concern about Ralston. He’s absolutely rank rotten but Clarke’s been threatening to pick him for a long time so him getting a start was inevitable.