Scotland v Armenia

Well, this thread has taken a strange turn... 😁

With Dykes out, (matron!) how will our - what some countries refer to as - "forward line" or "attack" shape up? I understand that nobody else is being called in to the squad. If Adams gets injured, will we go for the Craig Levine 4-6-0 "Norway solution"? 😳

Edited by Salt n Vinegar

7 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Well, this thread has taken a strange turn... 😁

With Dykes out, (matron!) how will our - what some countries refer to as - "forward line" or "arrack" shape up? I understand that nobody else is being called in to the squad. If Adams gets injured, will we go for the Craig Levine 4-6-0 "Norway solution"? 😳

Ross Stewart presumably 

Armenia changed system for their victory over Ireland yesterday and potentially will continue that against us at Hampden. Maybe a bit of a handy heads up for Steve Clarke.

Obviously we’ve watched Armenia, studied their last 20 games. They’ve only played 5 at the back once against Germany. They’ve never played 5 at the back before, they always play 442.

Stephen Kenny

https://youtu.be/sIrDS1XBG1g?t=61

Adams to presumably start on Wednesday, and be replaced at half time  (when I’d hope we would be leasing). Stewart is going to get decent time now.

That’s fine, but we can’t be making wholesale changes behind him. No point throwing in a new striker whilst experimenting with wing backs and midfield at the same time.

I imagine Christie starts, probably also alongside O’Donnell, Souttar, and McKenna. McTominay may start in midfield ahead of Gilmour (who doesn’t look match fit).

Armstrong, Turnbull, Stewart, Taylor, Brown(?) to get game time. Perhaps even a keeper change if it’s comfortable.

A huge amount is determined by what the score is and when… we really could do with being out of sight by 60 minutes.

Having recovered somewhat from the utter scunner I had on Wednesday, Campbell might be a good addition to the midfield, if a high pressing game suits him perfectly, and would maybe give the midfield a bit of bite, whilst replacing Cooper with Hendry or souttar should allow more play to start from the defence.

22 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Armenia changed system for their victory over Ireland yesterday and potentially will continue that against us at Hampden. Maybe a bit of a handy heads up for Steve Clarke.

https://youtu.be/sIrDS1XBG1g?t=61

They’ve only played 5 at the back once against Germany. They’ve never played 5 at the back before.

Insightful stuff from Stephen Kenny there.

4 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Insightful stuff from Stephen Kenny there.

Yeah I thought that was a daft thing to say, but regardless if Steve Clarke was basing his set up on the last 20 games Armenia have played it might give him food for thought.

Seen quite a bit of Jacob Brown in season just gone and he has always looked pretty good actually. Has a nice clean, crisp strike of the ball. I'm surprised he hasnt had any substantial game time with the national team yet.

I'm hoping he can get a start somewhere in the next 3 games to properly see him in action with the Scotland players and formation. I think he will come good if given a shot.

Clarke indicated there is likely to be a few more drop outs once they have assessed things after weekend. Would hope for a couple of replacements

6 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I really assumed Souttar was just to replace Hanley after the cut to his head before he decided to just play on. Think people are turning that into something it isn’t.

Even still, Hanley was playing as a centre forward. If he did need replaced surely Stewart would be the preference 

1 hour ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

Who the f**k does Lyndon Dykes think he is?

Get him so far to f**k. Ripped tights keeping you out of the NL? Well you're not needed for the bigger games. f**k off.

Are you suggesting that a guy who has managed to get 22 caps in less than 2 years is not committed to Scotland? People do get actual injuries in football mate.

Edited by craigkillie

1 hour ago, DavidMcG said:

Seen quite a bit of Jacob Brown in season just gone and he has always looked pretty good actually. Has a nice clean, crisp strike of the ball. I'm surprised he hasnt had any substantial game time with the national team yet.

I'm hoping he can get a start somewhere in the next 3 games to properly see him in action with the Scotland players and formation. I think he will come good if given a shot.

Clarke indicated there is likely to be a few more drop outs once they have assessed things after weekend. Would hope for a couple of replacements

Brown appears to be ahead of Stewart in the pecking order but I suppose things could have changed in this camp. I've seen very little of either since Stewart went down south so hopefully they get more than cameos in the upcoming games. You'd imagine at least one will play a decent amount.

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

Even still, Hanley was playing as a centre forward. If he did need replaced surely Stewart would be the preference 

I was thinking about this after the game and wondered if extra-time played on Clarke's mind. If the CB up top worked then we would've equalised, taking the game to extra-time where we could then slip back into a more normal formation. If Stewart replaced Hanley then we'd be going into extra-time with an imbalanced side, perhaps having to sacrifice one of our better players to get a centre-back on.

Tbh I'd have taken the risk and brought a striker on (I also reckon Hendry could have been a better makeshift striker than Hanley) but I wonder if Stewart would've made an appearance if there was no prospect of extra-time.