Scotland v Armenia

I look forward to Scotland securing maximum points from RoI and Armenia and being in a fight with Ukraine for top spot. 

In other news, England have disappointed HMtQ by losing to Hungary on Jubilee Saturday.  A penalty in the presence of VAR was not enough to convince the pundit (Owen?) or the manager that the award was justified. 

In other evidence that we are indeed in strange times, Hungary are 1-0 up against England. 
Apparently they looked knackered and leggy. Sound familiar?

I think we certainly underestimated the impact of the timing of these fixtures. I remember Craig Brown always banging on about how tough a June qualifier was in terms of player fatigue, but I don't think I've ever seen it as evident as the other night at Hampden - possibly just because it was contrasted against the freshness (and much-betterness) of the Ukrainians.

Really hope we've got it in us to go up gear in these NL games. At least our opponents should be at a similar place as us condition-wise.

14 minutes ago, Binos said:

Let's see how it plays out 

History tells me that draws against garbage outfits,  that we've played for,  come back to bite us in the arse

Wtf are you talking about? History told you that 3/4 qualifiers only had one point more after three games than a figure you said would "guarantee non-qualification". You're just making up reasons to be cynical and dismissive, and it's really fucking tiresome. 

27 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Bullshit excuse and we all know it. Do not apply it to us, please.

Scotland were very obviously a bit sluggish the other night, I don't think it's unfair to say that we would have been in better shape physically had this been played in March. It doesn't mean it was the main reason we lost or anything like it, but it's hardly a ridiculous thing to mention.

6 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Dykes withdraws from the squad for the remaining games with a thigh strain. 

This is a huge blow, it leaves us with Adams as the only proven striker in the squad, and I doubt he's going to be able to play 90 minutes of all three games. Time for Brown or Stewart to step up, but I'm not convinced either is quite ready to do so.

12 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Scotland were very obviously a bit sluggish the other night, I don't think it's unfair to say that we would have been in better shape physically had this been played in March. It doesn't mean it was the main reason we lost or anything like it, but it's hardly a ridiculous thing to mention.

This is a huge blow, it leaves us with Adams as the only proven striker in the squad, and I doubt he's going to be able to play 90 minutes of all three games. Time for Brown or Stewart to step up, but I'm not convinced either is quite ready to do so.

I haven’t seen enough of Brown to really compare but he has a return of thirteen goals and four assists in 45 league games this season, while Dykes is on eight goals and three assists in 33. Not much between them solely based on that. It would be good to see Brown get a bit of game time to get more of an idea though!

8 hours ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

By all accounts, a mediocre ROI team are dominating Armenia away. 7 points should be our minimum target.

Winning in Dublin would be a very good result, but it would still be below England, Austria, or Denmark.

A draw would be the minimum expectation with our current relative squads strengths.

7 hours ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

ROI have the better players, and are dominating possession but creating next to nothing.  Armenia could have scored twice, one disallowed and the other a worldly just past the upright.

My impression of ROI is that they continue to be a route one team, with little flair, or creativity.  Seems they haven’t changed much…

All that noted, it may completely suit them to play a British-style game against us, and just lump the ball long all day.  If they do, I’d be surprised if we didn’t do exactly the same thing…

I see you stopped posting after Armenia beat a mediocre ROI team. Can we finally agree that football is not played on paper?

Edited by 2426255

11 hours ago, Clown Job said:

They also lost to Luxembourg

Ireland are utter gash 

Indeed, the current ROI team is disgustingly bad, made up of a bunch of lower league players nobody have heard of.

We should definitely be targeting maximum points against them.

I was leaning towards a back four but I realised that all five centre backs in the squad primarily play in a back three for their clubs so I’d give it one last game with McKenna at LCB. If that doesn’t work then 4-3-3 is a must going forward.

Four changes from the Ukraine game for me. Souttar at RCB and McKenna at LCB is a must. I can see the argument for dropping Gilmour and playing McTominay in midfield, but I think Gilmour gets one last chance. O’Donnell in for Hickey who’s not ready yet and then Christie in for Dykes with a slight formation change.

Gordon

Souttar-Hanley-McKenna

SOD-Gilmour-McGregor-Robbo

McGinn-Adams-Christie

Edited by Donathan

4 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Indeed, the current ROI team is disgustingly bad, made up of a bunch of lower league players nobody have heard of.

We should definitely be targeting maximum points against them.

A decent manager can still shape limited players into a solid, coherent team, however.

f**k knows how they almost managed to beat Portugal recently, as any time I've seen them, they could've lost to anybody on a good day. Like us a few years ago, only worse.