Rutherglen Glencairn 2022-23

8 hours ago, Man from the East said:

Dinnae quote me fellah, that’s what I’m trying to find out. I couldn’t believe the venue capacity wise. 
Broadwood makes much more sense to me. 

Broadwood never makes sense. I thought Paisley might be a reasonable venue.

2 minutes ago, Duraglit shareholder said:

Feel for Glens fans, that final is now a Friday night affair, should always be weekend match, FFS, it's Junior Cup Final, will it be on TV?, For me a further detraction from a much valued Competition, who decides these things and think it's ok. 

On BBC Alba.

30 minutes ago, glensmad said:

From the high of last Sunday to the opposite extreme of that today. We have seven huge league games ahead to secure our First Division status, forget about the cup final for now.

About 5 games make the difference between a promotion battle or relegation.

The problem is there isn't a lot of difference between the clubs.

And remember 7 of the clubs were Premier division last season.

9 hours ago, PossilYM said:

About 5 games make the difference between a promotion battle or relegation.

The problem is there isn't a lot of difference between the clubs.

And remember 7 of the clubs were Premier division last season.

Yep, it's a cut-throat league. We've only lost one more game than Kilbirnie and Drumchapel who are 4th and 5th. It's the number of draws that has sucked us down into trouble.

That was a much-improved performance from us today, and it was a pity that Drumchapel's goalie was in such good form otherwise we would have won the match with a bit to spare.

The Gaffer made a few changes to the line-up and changed the shape, and we played at pace and positively from the kick off against a really good team in our league. When we play like we train (which we did today) then we're a good side to watch. When we don't (like last week) then it's hard to understand.

More of the same in the next few games will hopefully see us secure our place in this league for next season.

There's a commonly used phrase amongst Glens supporters, i.e. "it depends on which Glencairn turns up". On our day we can be a joy to watch, and then the next week we can be horrendous.

Today we had the horrendous in the first half, but we were given a lifeline with a gifted penalty equaliser for a daft shirt pull only seconds before half time.

The transformation that equaliser and the crucial timing of it produced was obvious as we were a transformed side after the break, and we ran out deserved winners in the end in a match that really was a "must win" for us.

Two more wins from our remaining five matches would confirm our place in this league for next season. One win might be enough, depending on results elsewhere.

On to Shotts Bon Accord at home on Wednesday night next.

Edited by glensmad

On 18/04/2023 at 07:00, Sergeant Wilson said:

Broadwood never makes sense. I thought Paisley might be a reasonable venue.

Broadwood didn't make sense even when they were building the damn thing. The poor workers must have had a torrid time. It was bad enough just going there as a spectator.

A really frustrating night last night. Neither team hit the heights, and Shotts scored a really good goal but didn't really make our goalkeeper work much apart from that. Unfortunately we didn't make theirs work much either.

I'll need to see the red card again on Gerry's video, it looked very harsh in real time but then again I'm watching the game from our emotional perspective, it's always a more balanced watch on the highlights.

It looked a certain penalty to me for the challenge on Mick O'Byrne, but again the video will tell us.

A huge match for us now away to Bonnyton on Saturday. A win there would leave us just about safe, but a defeat would leave us in huge trouble.

That was a huge win for us today in the circumstances where we were missing half a team through injury and suspension. A goal up at half time then we lost our captain Tam Miller on the hour to a second yellow and the inevitable red.

Our game management after that was superb though, and if any team was going to score it was going to be us again, and so it turned out near the end.

We're just about safe now, it'll take an extraordinary run of results for us to go down now. But I'm looking up the way and hoping to finish in the top half of the table.

We can properly look towards the Scottish Junior Cup Final now.

Edited by glensmad

8 hours ago, glensmad said:

That was a huge win for us today in the circumstances where we were missing half a team through injury and suspension. A goal up at half time then we lost our captain Tam Miller on the hour to a second yellow and the inevitable red.

Our game management after that was superb though, and if any team was going to score it was going to be us again, and so it turned out near the end.

We're just about safe now, it'll take an extraordinary run of results for us to go down now. But I'm looking up the way and hoping to finish in the top half of the table.

We can properly look towards the Scottish Junior Cup Final now.

If this puts my beloved Bonnyton down you are off my Christmas Card List. 😡

Serious question though;

From what you have seen of them would Bonnyton be better off for their development dropping into to Div 2 or are they capable of living in Div 1.

God I love typing Div 1 cannot stand that Championship nonsense.

Thank you whomever decided to do that.