Rutherglen Glencairn 2022-23

Three additions to the squad confirmed this week :-

Dominic McLaughlin (defender) - ex Cumbernauld Colts, East Kilbride FC and Rutherglen u21s.

Ross Smith (midfielder) - ex Esst Kilbride FC and Esst Kilbride Thistle.

Matthew Gear (midfielder) - ex Rossvale and Pollok United.

Edited by glensmad

31 minutes ago, Fredeye said:

I expected Rutherglen to be a lot higher this season. Saturday was the first time I've seen them this season and thought you played some really tidy football. Hopefully you put a run together now. 

The draws in the league have dragged us down the table, but only the top two in the table have lost fewer games than us (and only one less). We've only lost 5 out of 23 games in all competitions, but too many draws kill you. We're still in touch with the promotion issue with over half a season to go.

2 hours ago, glensmad said:

The draws in the league have dragged us down the table, but only the top two in the table have lost fewer games than us (and only one less). We've only lost 5 out of 23 games in all competitions, but too many draws kill you. We're still in touch with the promotion issue with over half a season to go.

It’s a really tough league but I hope you guys have a dash at promotion. Given how you played I will certainly make more of an effort to come along and see you.

• 2 weeks later...

Three wins out of three for us in the league and we've risen from 14th to 6th over the space of two and a half weeks. It's going to take a prolonged good run to get into the top three and stay there, but there's still more than half a season to play.

2 hours ago, Fredeye said:

Rutherglen were well worth their win last night against a decent St Roch's side although I didn't think they turned up.

Who is number 11, I thought he was a handful and caused serious problems?

Roan Fitzpatrick, he plays wide on either side of midfield and can also play through the middle, he's a very useful player.

3 minutes ago, Fredeye said:

He was a stand out. Where did you get him from? 

Yeh I thought he played very well last night. Roan has been about, he had spells with Greenock Juniors  and Kilbirnie Ladeside last season, and Maryhill before that, but our coach Billy Ogilvie had him at East Kilbride FC when he was manager there.

Four league wins out of four in January now, and suddenly we're up to 5th and knocking on the door of the promotion spots, after starting the month in the relegation zone. Eleven goals scored and only two conceded. What a difference turning draws into wins makes to your league position !

Edited by glensmad

2 hours ago, glensmad said:

Four league wins out of four in January now, and suddenly we're up to 5th and knocking on the door of the promotion spots, after starting the month in the relegation zone. Eleven goals scored and only two conceded. What a difference turning draws into wins makes to your league position !

Ur on a roll Peter keep It going 

A poor performance from us today and our first defeat in 8 games, after 6 wins and a draw over December and January. A bump in the road hopefully.

Now the focus turns to next week and the Scottish Junior Cup quarter final.

Getting into the semi final was the target today and in that respect it was "job done". It wasn't a good performance but it was "roll up the sleeves" kind of occasion and we ground it out against a Larkhall team who played extremely well.

Back to league business next week then another cup match, then another league match, then another cup match, then........

Edited by glensmad

So it's Glencairn v East Craigie in the semi final.

Hopefully we're good enough and fortunate enough to make it to the final, where it could be another Glens v Glens encounter, just like it was the last time we made the final in 1975.

One game at a time though, East Craigie will no doubt be fancying their chances of a final appearance, we're under no illusions about that.

It'll be a huge occasion for both clubs, the first ever meeting of the teams as far as my records show, unless anyone can tell me differently ?

Edited by glensmad