Rutherglen Glencairn 2022-23

We played pretty well today but needed the last touch of the ball to grab a point that we unquestionably deserved from the performance. Whitletts defended strongly and will be gutted not to have held on, but what was good to see was how we stuck to our system and new passing style of play without reverting to long ball stuff when we were chasing an equaliser, and we got our reward.

Four of the top five in the table (as it was pre kick off) lost their games today, so that point along with our games in hand keeps us in touch with the pace setters.

Edited by glensmad

We played really well today and, apart from a wee 15-minute spell after we scored our first goal during which Benburb got their equaliser, we pretty much controlled the game. We had another goal disallowed for offside (I'll need to see that again as it didn't look offside to me but I was a good distance away) and the clearest cut of clear cut penalties bizarrely not given.

All in all it was a good afternoon for us, and that's four consecutive away wins for us, playing some good football as well.

A poor show from us today after a good run of results, especially playing against 10 men for 70 minutes. I thought we'd go on to win it comfortably when we equalised early in the second half, but we were wasteful and paid the price from a set piece.

We're dropping too many points early in the season, giving ourselves a lot of work to do. And three of our next four games are cup ties.

That was a terrific first half performance from us today, 4-0 up and it could have been a lot more. The half time interval broke our momentum but our place in the last 16 was already secured, so I'll forgive the boys for a fairly low key second half performance. We need to take that sort of intensity of performance into our league games now.

6 hours ago, glensmad said:

That was a terrific first half performance from us today, 4-0 up and it could have been a lot more. The half time interval broke our momentum but our place in the last 16 was already secured, so I'll forgive the boys for a fairly low key second half performance. We need to take that sort of intensity of performance into our league games now.

Wouldn't underestimate that win.

Almost Talbotesque.

Yet another draw at home in the league, that's 4 out of 4 now. We're unbeaten at home in all competitions so far this season but we only have one win and five draws. We need to start turning these into wins.

Our goals for in league games is what's hurting us, only 10 scored in 8 games, whereas we have scored 20 goals in our 6 cup ties. Our goals against average is the best in the league (one per game) and the same in the cups, so we need to start taking the cup goal scoring form into league games.

No highlights from today's game unfortunately, Gerry was sunning himself in Spain.

Another good cup win for us away from home today, and once again we got the job done early. 3-0 up after 12 minutes and 4-1 at half time. The second half was poor though, but the job was done by then.

That's 24 goals in 7 cup ties so far this season, we need to take that form into our league games and start climbing up the table.

So we're out of the South Region Challenge Cup, but at least this season we won a couple of games in the competition for the first time. It was probably the lowest priority of the four competitions we were still in this morning, and to be fair we had no complaints about the result as Caledonian Braves were better than us on the day.

Now for back to back league games this week, goodness knows when we last played two of them in a row.