Rutherglen Glencairn 2022-23

Well our first journey in The Scottish Cup is over, and to be honest it's hard to complain about the outcome today. We were poor for the opening half hour the same as last week and left ourselves a mountain to climb. We climbed halfway up but didn't have the legs to reach the summit.

So it's back to the 'normal' stuff now, but we look forward to another journey in the big cup next year, it certainly adds a real buzz to the club.

No home matches for us till 8th October though.

10 hours ago, glensmad said:

Well our first journey in The Scottish Cup is over, and to be honest it's hard to complain about the outcome today. We were poor for the opening half hour the same as last week and left ourselves a mountain to climb. We climbed halfway up but didn't have the legs to reach the summit.

So it's back to the 'normal' stuff now, but we look forward to another journey in the big cup next year, it certainly adds a real buzz to the club.

No home matches for us till 8th October though.

There's such a thing as a lucky draw in the cup.

I don't think Kilwinning Rangers followed by Tranent in the next round could be described as in any way easy.

No replays in the next round, so you didn't even get the chance of a penalty shootout last week in Rutherglen.

Oh well, hopefully an easier team next year in the prelims, Tower Hearts would have been nice.

ps, hope you checked the Kilwinning team lines in case anyone did the naughty.

lol

2 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

There's such a thing as a lucky draw in the cup.

I don't think Kilwinning Rangers followed by Tranent in the next round could be described as in any way easy.

No replays in the next round, so you didn't even get the chance of a penalty shootout last week in Rutherglen.

Oh well, hopefully an easier team next year in the prelims, Tower Hearts would have been nice.

ps, hope you checked the Kilwinning team lines in case anyone did the naughty.

lol

That's cup football, you can get a tough draw in the opening game or you can get easier ties all the way to the final. You just have to take what you're given.

We thoroughly enjoyed the occasion last Saturday at our place, a bigger than normal crowd on a sunny afternoon and it was a special occasion for the club. Yesterday was much lower key with a much lower crowd, and it just didn't happen for us, but as you say it was a difficult draw.

We move on now, we have 27 league matches to play and three more cups to compete for.

2 hours ago, glensmad said:

That's cup football, you can get a tough draw in the opening game or you can get easier ties all the way to the final. You just have to take what you're given.

We thoroughly enjoyed the occasion last Saturday at our place, a bigger than normal crowd on a sunny afternoon and it was a special occasion for the club. Yesterday was much lower key with a much lower crowd, and it just didn't happen for us, but as you say it was a difficult draw.

We move on now, we have 27 league matches to play and three more cups to compete for.

It was a tough tie for both sides, not much between us over the two games. Despite the old firm game yesterday, I was disappointed with the crowd given the nature of the occasion. Not sure if a 3 pm kick off was considered, might have made a difference.

Good luck to Glencairn for the seas on ahead.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen anything of yesterday's game as I'm in Barcelona at the moment, so I'm looking forward to seeing Gerry's highlights.

It's good to see Ryan McManus getting up to speed in the goal scoring stakes, that's 6 goals in 3 games for him (1+2+3) and he's now level with Jack McIlveen. It took him a few games to break his duck for us, but you could see from his performances that he was going to score goals for us, he just needed to break that psychological "first goal" barrier.