League One 22/23 Table Predictions

Just now, RubyTuesday said:

Well I never. Second in the table after 6 games. Looks like nobody on this thread saw that coming. Still a long way to go but I think we might just avoid relegation....

Aye, safe to say nobody saw that coming, although I remember a few City fans in the close season saying you'd do better than expected.

6-0 away at Airdrie is a mental result, considering they've looked like title challengers.

Kelty starting so poorly has been the other surprise. The QoS fans warned us they'd likely not be troubling the promotion spots!

• 6 months later...
On 31/05/2022 at 20:33, Chapelhall chap said:

I'll join in the fun as well. I am pretty sure about the foot of the table with a bottom three who will keep swopping places. Don't see anyone being a wee bit adrift like East Fife.

At the top 4 money may well be the key but that's not always meant the title. I don't see Kelty doing a Cove and Thomson going suggests mid table safety target.

As for the rest maybe Montrose will not have that resilience of recent seasons but that's me grasping at Straws. That leaves the relegated sides and it's unusual for both to still be competitive. Alloa will be a bit better and Falkirk under McGlynn should surely win more games but will fans stick with them if there is no quick successes. 

For my own lot it's not as bad as I feared and being always optimistic I see a top 4 as safe. We will then do a Queens Park.

Dunfermline 

2 Falkirk 

3 Alloa

4 Airdrieonians

5 Kelty Hearts 

6 Montrose  

7 Queen of South 

8 Edinburgh City

9 Peterhead

10 Clyde 

That was in May before any real clues about squads etc but with eight/ seven games to go , it looks not a bad guess. The team that surprised me ( and Rhys) are of course Edinburgh. Still all to play for the play offs at the top but Peterhead look doomed. 

Still time to be wrong of course.

On 22/06/2022 at 08:40, BTFD said:
  1. Dunfermline Athletic
  2. Falkirk
  3. Airdrieoneans
  4. Kelty Hearts
  5. Queen of the South
  6. Alloa Athletic
  7. Montrose
  8. Clyde
  9. Peterhead
  10. FC Edinburgh

I may well be massively overestimating Falkirk and underestimating Montrose there. Liable to be a real rammy at the top; wouldn't be a surprise to see any of the top five ending up champions.

Even if we do well, it's a tough league this season and 4th would be a success.

Not too bad. Obviously way off with Edinburgh City, overestimated Kelty, and thought things might have been a bit tighter in the title race.

I don't think anyone at the Recs would say this has been a classic season, but we've easily done better than I'd feared. Falkirk still trying to pull off a fifth successive season behind us in the league; best of luck with it, guys!

On 27/06/2022 at 13:12, Tenkay said:

Not many people predicting even a top eight finish for my Edinburgh City team!

I never really followed League one before, so all I can tell you is Kelty Hearts are NOT much better than us!

Lazy predictions with Kelty as high as 4th and Edinburgh last will be miles wrong, IMHO, off course.

Aye, told you all last June we'd do well, but got laughed at by some Falkirk boy and all his mates.

Oh well, I'm pleased we've had a decent season. 👍

On 30/06/2022 at 13:58, Grant228 said:

With that I'm going for 

1- Dunfermline - Heart ruling head a bit here, I'm not entirely convinced by McPake as a manager but I think he'll do OK, genuinely beleive we have the best attacking options in the league in terms of strikers which will see us through. 

2 - QoTS - I'm not nearly as taken with there pre season buisness as everyone else, and I think the defence could end up looking very ropey. However when they'll be attacking as much as they are i reckon it won't be as noticeable, Connolly to play a massive part. 

3 - Falkirk - Solid, won't lose many games but will draw allot, currently with Gary Oliver as there only striker, McGlynn has previously struggled to find strikers in the loan market, can't seem him finding it any easier down a tier. 

4 - Alloa - Going under the radar quite a bit, Rice will have a really good feel for the squad now and I think they'll do really well. 

5 - Montrose - Petrie will get a tune out of the squad and see them challenging for the playoffs throughout, really tight between them and Alloa

6 - Kelty Hearts - I reckon they'll be dissapointed with this, will have some right good players going forward but I'm not convinced by Potter as a gaffer. 

7 - Airdrie - Considered placing them below Peterhead, don't see anything other than the management appointment ending as an absolute train wreck, the loss of Murray and Easton is pretty massive. 

8 - Peterhead - Through process of elimination they sort of end up here, sorry guys. 

9 - Edinburgh - Could well finish tenth, however... 

10- Clyde - Fanbase that idolised a rapist, hope they do a Brechin. Danny Lennon is fucking weird. 

I overrated QoTS, underrated Airdrie and Edinburgh. 

8 hours ago, Grant228 said:

I overrated QoTS, underrated Airdrie and Edinburgh. 

Also overrated our striking options and it's been the other end of the pitch that has seen us stay top for so long.

No would could have seen that coming though with the Omni-shambles that Yogi and Grant put us through.

1 hour ago, 101 said:

Also overrated our striking options and it's been the other end of the pitch that has seen us stay top for so long.

No would could have seen that coming though with the Omni-shambles that Yogi and Grant put us through.

I thought Falkirk would win the league at the start of the season based on Donaldson, Henderson and McGinn seeming like a solid base but wasn’t sure where their goals would come from. On the other hand, I wasn’t convinced by Dunfermline defensively but fancied at least two of Todorov, Wighton, O’Hara and McCann to get double figures. I had the right reasoning I suppose for why a team would win the league, just completely the wrong way round!

On 27/06/2022 at 11:52, Monkey Tennis said:

Even more clueless than normal, but here goes anyway:

Falkirk

Dunfermline

Kelty

Airdrie

Queens

Alloa

Montrose

Peterhead

Clyde

Edinburgh

Falkirk simply can't remain this pish indefinitely.  I think we'll muddle around inoffensively but I hope we can do a bit more damage.  Dunfermline really should be up there.

Miles out with Kelty and Edinburgh.

Otherwise, tweaks required in remaining weeks.

On 31/05/2022 at 17:40, Otis Blue said:

OK, so my current knowledge of most clubs is lacking to say the least, but here's the votes of the South Lanarkshire Doonhamer regardless (and subject to revision when we know what the squads actually look like) ...

1 - Falkirk - I like McGlynn as a manager, and The Bairns have to get their shit together sometime (plus I might get a wee greenie from @Marshmallo for putting them top!) and with the Pars will have the biggest budget (not a guarantee I know)

2 - Dunfermline - No surprise, at this point I've gone for the sides who I think will have the biggest budgets. Not sure about McPake as a manager (the Dees seemed to be split on keen or not keen), but the squad will be strong, time will tell

3 - Kelty Hearts - Think they are being bankrolled by someone, but don't honestly know if their budget will reach those of the Bairns/Pars.  They've got players who've coped at a decent level so with additions would think they will be in with a good shout at the playoffs.

4 - The Mighty Blue Machine (aka QOS) - OK, guilty as charged, so this is the optimist fan in me putting them in 4th!  Gibson is relatively untried as manager (although he has Grant Murray as support) and we don't know if he'll play another season yet (personally I think playing and managing is always a step too far).  As usual we need to see who we recruit - and as others have said, although Queens are FT our budget will be poor for a FT club which will limit recruitment.  A repeat of our last visit to L1 ten years ago when we had the title wrapped up by March winning by 25 points certainly ain't happening again in what is a much stronger league)!

5 - Airdrie - So unlucky last season, seem well run these days, but the new management team (both players) could be seen as a risk (same for QOS I know).  Have lost some key players, but might recruit well.  Could easily make the playoffs in place of QOS or Kelty.

6 - Montrose - Don't know a lot about them other than they've been really sound at this level for a while now and have a solid manager in Petrie who seems able to spot a player and set his team out well.  Can't see them being in relegation trouble and could equally make the playoffs at the expense of QOS/Kelty/Airdrie.

7 - Alloa - I've never known an Alloa side that gave us an easy game.  Fully expect another strong showing and of course Mark Durnan will recover his old form and play (4) blinders against his old club Queens.  Don't see Alloa being in relegation trouble.

8 - Peterhead - Know very little about the club (although worked up there in the early 80's).  Saw them against Dundee in the cup and thought they were excellent, but don't know how many of that team they have been able to retain.  Very experienced manager in McInally, so I'm thinking they will be OK by the end of the season.

9 - Edinburgh City - Watched the playoffs with Annan and liked the look of the lad Innes Murray who was on loan from Hibs (OK he might not be there this season).  They have some experienced players but I've no knowledge of their budget (do they have a rich sugar daddy backer, dunno?).  Something tells me they may struggle in a strong L1 this season.

10 - Clyde - Sorry Bully Wee fans.  I've zip knowledge of your likely squad or budget, but with the recent exit from Broadwood and being nomadic yet again something tells me that times are tough at Clyde, and it could be a struggle to stay up.

New management teams at Falkirk, Dunfermline, Queens and Airdrie (will Thomson stay on at Kelty?) makes forecasting doubly difficult.

And ... aye, its just a wee bit of fun this early when we're all bored stupid in the close season ... so pile in folks!

On 30/06/2022 at 12:19, Otis Blue said:

Wouldn't surprise me at all ... at least one or more of the "fancied four" are likely to make a total arse of things.

Well, I got the Bairns and the Pars the wrong way round but it didn't take Einstein to figure out they'd be the top two with their budgets. Through lack of L1/L2 knowledge I overestimated Kelty badly and under-estimated Embra equally badly - but having been pumped every game by a poor QOS side I'm left scratching my head as to how the hell Embra are where they are.

I knew I was tempting fate when I said that at least one of the "fancied four" (ie the FT sides) would screw up badly - unfortunately, I got that right.

• 1 month later...

Prediction                                        Actual

Them                                                Them

Us                                                       Us

QOTS                                                 Airdire

Alloa                                                  Alloa

Airdire                                               QOTS

Montrose                                          FCE

Kelty                                                  Montrose

Clyde                                                Kelty

FCE                                                    Clyde

Peterhead                                       Peterhead

Started well then the wheels fell aff. 4/10 Tries hard but could do (a lot) better.

Prediction                  Actual

1. Falkirk.                         Dunfermline.  (+1)

2. Dunfermline.              Falkirk.             (-1)

3. Kelty.                            Airdrie.             (+5)

4. Airdrie                          Alloa.                (-1)

5. Queens.                       Queens.            (-)

6. Alloa.                             Edinburgh.      (-2)

7. Montrose.                     Montrose.        (-)

8. Peterhead.                   Kelty.                (+2)

9. Clyde.                           Clyde.               (-)

10. Edinburgh.                  Peterhead.       (-4)     

Miles out with Kelty and Edinburgh.  A bit out with Alloa and Peterhead too.

Only 3/10 spot on.  I'm claiming bonus points though for one of them being my own team.  

My innate pessimism was once more justified.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

On 24/07/2022 at 13:57, CM. said:

1. QOS
2. Dunfermline
3. Falkirk
4. Airdrie
5. Alloa
6. Montrose
7. Kelty Hearts
8. Clyde
9. FC Edinburgh
10. Peterhead

Way overestimated QOS and underestimated Edinburgh (as I think most did)

Edited by CM.

1. Dunfermline Athletic (-)
  2. Falkirk (-)
  3. Airdrieoneans (-)
  4. Kelty Hearts (+4)
  5. Queen of the South (-)
  6. Alloa Athletic (-2)
  7. Montrose (-)
  8. Clyde (+1)
  9. Peterhead (+1)
  10. FC Edinburgh (-4)

5/10. Not bad, I just over/underestimated the new boys, but a lot of people did. Happy with that.

On 26/07/2022 at 10:31, Mr November said:

1. Falkirk (+1)
2. Dunfermline Athletic (-1)
3. Airdrieonians (-)
4. Queen of the South (+1)
5. Alloa Athletic (-1)
6. Montrose (+1)
7. Kelty Hearts (+1)
8. Clyde (+1)
9. FC Edinburgh (-3)
10. Peterhead (-)

Pretty happy with that. Edinburgh the only real outlier, 1/2 and 4/5 the wrong way round but the right order elsewhere. I thought Falkirk would struggle to score without a top striker but looked solid defensively, whereas Dunfermline had good forwards but I wasn’t convinced by their keeper/defence. Right logic, wrong way round!

On 31/05/2022 at 20:33, Chapelhall chap said:

I'll join in the fun as well. I am pretty sure about the foot of the table with a bottom three who will keep swopping places. Don't see anyone being a wee bit adrift like East Fife.

At the top 4 money may well be the key but that's not always meant the title. I don't see Kelty doing a Cove and Thomson going suggests mid table safety target.

As for the rest maybe Montrose will not have that resilience of recent seasons but that's me grasping at Straws. That leaves the relegated sides and it's unusual for both to still be competitive. Alloa will be a bit better and Falkirk under McGlynn should surely win more games but will fans stick with them if there is no quick successes. 

For my own lot it's not as bad as I feared and being always optimistic I see a top 4 as safe. We will then do a Queens Park.

Dunfermline 

2 Falkirk 

3 Alloa

4 Airdrieonians

5 Kelty Hearts 

6 Montrose  

7 Queen of South 

8 Edinburgh City

9 Peterhead

10 Clyde 

Got top four but under valued my own chaps.

Nip and tuck at foot , had thought Clyde being in Hamilton would be more negative.

The middle four could have been easily swopped.

So not too bad and glad we managed to beat FC Edinburgh.