Redactle

14 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I solved today's Redactle (#63) in 306 guesses with an accuracy of 70.26%. Played at https://www.redactle.com/

I got the subject after 7 guesses. I got the person after guesses 95 and 96.

I wonder did you do the same as me.

Around the 100 mark I put an extra i in seventh place.

Ended up having to cheat.

4 hours ago, Aim Here said:

7 guesses for Redactle #64. Got the second word in one guess, but whiffed with the guessing the first word.

One of these days I'll get a perfect Redactle.

Any tips mate? 

21 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Any tips mate? 

I don't think I've got anything specific - I'm generally just winging it every time.

Having a rough familiarity with the wikipedia format helps; for instance, if you suss out that it's a country (usually there'll be parenthesized stuff where the country has it's name in the official language, but that's not the only clue), the first paragraph will mention the capital city (so you'll see <some blanks> <four blanks> is <some more blanks> - and then you have the length of the country name and the length of the capital. Also in the first paragraph you'll likely have a list of things the country has land borders with - usually other countries, though not always ('Botswana to the southeast, and Uganda to the East' sort of thing, and if you know your countries of the world, you can get a good placement from that - there's not many 4-letter countries so it narrows it down some, and the blanks for 'Guinea-Bissau' was a big clue a few days back) and which continent it's in is generally mentioned in the first sentence (Usually you have a cardinal direction + continent, so it'll be 'North America' or 'Southern Africa' or whatever; note that people refer to 'East Africa' and 'West Africa' but 'Eastern Europe' and 'Western Europe' - so you don't have to bother guessing 'Africa' or 'Europe' if you see the appropriate patterns of letters).

Other subjects have different idioms to try to guess. If I'm stuck, I quite like to guess 'war' when dating things historically. The blanks around 'World War II' and 'Second World War' tend to be easy to spot if you see the word 'war' and it's a useful point of reference, since people will refer to it in mostly unrelated pages; if it's some other war you can have a good stab at guessing the war, and therefore the time period, from the blanks around it.

Also, if you have a good idea of what word a set of blank letters is (outside of the article title), there's rarely any point guessing it. It feels good to guess right, but you're just telling yourself what you know already!

Edited by Aim Here

2 hours ago, Squalor Vic said:

I feel really really stupid every time I try this and then come on here and see people solving them in a few guesses

This will cheer you up!

127 guesses for #64.

I flamed out on Redactle #65.

I found out exactly what category of thing this was by guess 40, but there was no way I could have named any item in that category. Infinity guesses today.

7 hours ago, Squalor Vic said:

I feel really really stupid every time I try this and then come on here and see people solving them in a few guesses

Don't worry. Even those of us who can sometimes get them in a handful of guesses can also hit pockets of complete ignorance.

19 hours ago, Aim Here said:

Also, if you have a good idea of what word a set of blank letters is (outside of the article title), there's rarely any point guessing it. It feels good to guess right, but you're just telling yourself what you know already!

When I get stuck I do this to make myself feel better