Bonnyrigg Rose: the where do I get parked thread

13 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Lowest population bar Annan. Low population density in hinterland. Most remote town in UK (using standard academic definition of population 10000-175000) and poor road and public transport links - so often no more than a handful of visiting fans. Very low average wages/wealth. High ‘emigration’ of graduates to elsewhere in UK. High prevalence of Celtic and Rangers* supporters etc.

Absolute c**t of a place to get to 

13 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Take it yer referring me to as the  "weirdo". Restricting to abuse is a sign of losing a debate by the way.

All i asked was average crowd figures for the season,mustve hit a raw nerve as it was enough for you to give a shit and merit a reply though.  

Never really been a fan of Bonnyrigg but to see the rage in some of the posts this season has been entertaining to say the least.

All the best for next season I'm sure the Bonnyrigg pound has been welcomed in most towns up and doon the country. ;)

I'm not sure what else you'd call it when you're still scuttling about the forum referring back to an off-hand comment from a year ago (that turned out to be entirely correct).

It's a complete fantasy that folk are raging about Bonnyrigg. You're obviously one of the oddball ex-non league fans that gets off imagining that SPFL fans are outraged that there's ex-junior upstarts in our midst. The vast majority simply aren't. Rage isn't really folk pointing out that they didn't think Bonnyrigg would be challenging for promotion or pulling in 4-figure crowds regularly. And then being proved entirely correct on both counts.

As good as their home crowds were, I don't think Bonnyrigg travelled in especially big numbers so I doubt there was much "Bonnyrigg pound" to enjoy.

18 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I'm not sure what else you'd call it when you're still scuttling about the forum referring back to an off-hand comment from a year ago (that turned out to be entirely correct).

It's a complete fantasy that folk are raging about Bonnyrigg. You're obviously one of the oddball ex-non league fans that gets off imagining that SPFL fans are outraged that there's ex-junior upstarts in our midst. The vast majority simply aren't. Rage isn't really folk pointing out that they didn't think Bonnyrigg would be challenging for promotion or pulling in 4-figure crowds regularly. And then being proved entirely correct on both counts.

As good as their home crowds were, I don't think Bonnyrigg travelled in especially big numbers so I doubt there was much "Bonnyrigg pound" to enjoy.

More abuse tut tut, im not scuttling round any forum, all I asked was their average crowd and you jumped right in. 

I think a baw hair off 1000 fans on average is decent for that level, most teams in the league can only dream of being close to that figure.

They do seem to have a slope, tell me that's not wound folk up on here though :thumsup2 

Take it easy bud it's only a football forum 👍

15 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

More abuse tut tut, im not scuttling round any forum, all I asked was their average crowd and you jumped right in. 

I think a baw hair off 1000 fans on average is decent for that level, most teams in the league can only dream of being close to that figure.

They do seem to have a slope, tell me that's not wound folk up on here though :thumsup2 

Take it easy bud it's only a football forum 👍

It's a very impressive attendence for this level, as I've already said on this thread. People poke fun at the slope because it is fairly ridiculous. I'm not sure you're particularly good at recognising when folk are wound up and when they aren't.

11 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

It's a very impressive attendence for this level, as I've already said on this thread. People poke fun at the slope because it is fairly ridiculous. I'm not sure you're particularly good at recognising when folk are wound up and when they aren't.

Oh I think the park has certainly wound up a lot of folk this season bud. Chill oot and have a nice evening ;)

55 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Whatever makes you happy.

Awfy happy :P

34 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

The 1,000 barrier has been burst for all competitions. 

2 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

pulling in 4-figure crowds regularly. And then being proved entirely correct on both counts.

I'm sure the league cup crowds enhanced this but looks like you weren't "entirely correct" .

Only 3 in it as well :lol:

Just now, newcastle broon said:

Awfy happy :P

I'm sure the league cup crowds enhanced this but looks like you weren't "entirely correct" .

Only 3 in it as well :lol:

We were very clearly talking about league games. So yes, I was entirely correct. I think you should take your own advice and chill out a bit.

On 06/05/2023 at 21:01, BB_Bino said:

I think (s)he’s trying to claim that Kelty spent the same as everyone else when they were promoted

Awrite lads no nothing of the sort all I'm getting at is every team has a budget and pretty sure we all spend as much as we can on our squads , happens in every league up and down the country , we were very fortunate with Dean at the helm but he's not burned his cash n left, the infrastructure left behind should stand us in good stead for years to come , probably won't have the budget for the so called big time Charlie's but we did what we did to get us to a certain level before it becomes almost mission impossible as going to be harder to get up as league 2 teams get their shit together to avoid going down , anyway look forward to my visits to Stirling next season great setup and potentially a big team in waiting 👍👍👌🏼👌🏼

Edited by Kelheart

My first visit to New Dundas Park on Saturday.  Huge crowd which is good to see for Scottish Lower league and enjoyable afternoon but how does the ground meet minimum criteria?

The pyramid is a good thing for Scottish footballl but there should be some basic standards.

15 minutes ago, Eder said:

My first visit to New Dundas Park on Saturday.  Huge crowd which is good to see for Scottish Lower league and enjoyable afternoon but how does the ground meet minimum criteria?

The pyramid is a good thing for Scottish footballl but there should be some basic standards.

There are basic standards and Bonnyrigg meet them. What's your gripe?

Took my wee girl along to the game on Saturday. First time I'd been to Bonnyrigg after wanting to go all season. Was a brilliant experience and the crowd was fantastic. Rose have been a breath of fresh air to the SPFL and it's great to see a club work their way up the pyramid and establish themselves all off their own back.

What were crowds like in the Juniors/EoS? I've always been aware they get healthy crowds but fascinated by it somewhat now after going along. There's  a few towns in Midlothian of a similar population who don't seem anywhere near as well supported. Do Rose pick up fans from Dalkeith and the likes too?

12 hours ago, The Moonster said:

There are basic standards and Bonnyrigg meet them. What's your gripe?

If clubs invest only in players and not their facilities it gives them an unfair advantage.

A bus shelter for a stand and very little terrace.  The pitch has the biggest slope I've in a football ground. 

A pyramid system should increase all round standards not dilute them.

16 minutes ago, Eder said:

If clubs invest only in players and not their facilities it gives them an unfair advantage.

A bus shelter for a stand and very little terrace.  The pitch has the biggest slope I've in a football ground. 

Pretty sure Bonnyrigg went with much the same squad from the Lowland League due to the money they had to spend to upgrade their ground, they also finished 8th so not sure any advantage you think there is exists. I'm sure a Bonnyrigg fan will correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure they have more stadium upgrades planned. This stuff can't happen overnight, it's a lot of money to small clubs. Give it time. 

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Pretty sure Bonnyrigg went with much the same squad from the Lowland League due to the money they had to spend to upgrade their ground, they also finished 8th so not sure any advantage you think there is exists. I'm sure a Bonnyrigg fan will correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure they have more stadium upgrades planned. This stuff can't happen overnight, it's a lot of money to small clubs. Give it time. 

They upgraded the ground ?

10 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Pretty sure Bonnyrigg went with much the same squad from the Lowland League due to the money they had to spend to upgrade their ground,

I thought so too, but I was told recently that Robbie Horn was actually offered some funds, so it was purely loyalty to his squad. I think he's mentioned in post match interviews that it was a big gamble and it kept him awake at night...

10 hours ago, Eder said:

8 of Saturday's team that started against Elgin have been with the club for years.

Of the 13 who featured against Forfar on the opening day, only Kevin Smith was a new signing.

17 hours ago, Connor1874 said:

What were crowds like in the Juniors/EoS? I've always been aware they get healthy crowds but fascinated by it somewhat now after going along. There's  a few towns in Midlothian of a similar population who don't seem anywhere near as well supported. Do Rose pick up fans from Dalkeith and the likes too?

Stand to be corrected but here's my take on it.
Historically Bonnyrigg and Nitten were the two big rivals in the Juniors, bigger than Dalkeith, Arniston, Penicuik, Musselburgh. You also had Whitehill up the road in the seniors who were some team back in the day. Both these Junior clubs could get 2-300 on their day and more for a derby. WW could get 100-150 but got some big occasions in the Scottish nearly every year.

When Nitten got their new stadium in 1994 it looked like they would pull away and it's a bit of a sliding doors situation, as my memory is of them winning most of the trophies. About 10 years ago Bonnyrigg were on the brink after a fire destroyed their pavilion and a lot of their history. The current chairman made a load of changes and I think a lot of the old Junior guys left. They had a vote to throw in their lot with the EOS and it seems they have never looked back. They have hoovered up most of the local sponsors and it just seems to have snowballed.

In contrast Nitten and WW dwindled away and are currently at tier 7 although they seem to have bottomed out. They both play in villages though and Bonnyrigg is now the largest town in Midlothian. There are people who say the Rose have had more than their fair share of help from the council but I don't know anything about that.