Bonnyrigg Rose: the where do I get parked thread

Well it was a rather dreich day in Clackmannanshire in more ways than one. Agree with the post above the step up has been a challenge after the promising start to the season. Will be interesting to see what develops in the next few weeks. Gets no easier next Saturday when we visit the League leaders.
P.S Well done to great club servant Alan Horne who gets a well deserved testimonial game this afternoon. What a class act he has been for the Rose in his time at NDP.
C’mon The Rose [emoji257][emoji257][emoji257]
A "challenge" in what respect? You guys are doing exactly what any rational person would have thought. Pretty competitive but nothing great, no stand out player as such. There is no Vale of Liethen or Gretna 2008 in this league so if by challenge yous mean no pretty much gaurenteed win every 2nd/3rd week then aye. A toughie right enough.

12 hours ago, TheVoiceofReason said:

Just a wee note for Bonnyrigg fans for tomorrow's game at Stirling.  It's cash only at the turnstiles.

Thank you. Your club’s entry fee is perfectly acceptable unlike some club in this division who reside in Fife. Look forward to a trip to the current League leaders. Although we won by a penalty goal at our first meeting at NDP both teams have had different fortunes since. Gonna be difficult for The Rose and would be happy to return to Bonnyrigg with a point.

C’mon The Rose 🌹🌹🌹

Stirling deserving of their win this afternoon. Stirling's goals coming either side of Bonnyrigg scoring (with their only shot on goal, after a well worked move).

Crowd around me were doing their nut at Bonnyrigg constantly losing possession with balls lumped forward, when they seemed to have much more success when playing the ball to feet.

Felt at times like Stirling could have pulled away, but Bonnyrigg did well to stay in the game.

The next two games - Elgin (5th in table) at NDP, away to Forfar (8th) - look very significant indeed.

Forthbank remains a cracking ground. Ageing quite well, accessible easily, friendly staff, good food. Plenty to like about it.

d0c98a7f0d69d0fb4efb612a68494341.jpgce89367af28b6ea2ef895e0f5c571b74.jpg58797186440a333b506ca12f7da527fd.jpg

Nothing much between the teams but you always thought that Stirling had that wee bit extra up top that would swing the game in their favour and so it turned out.  Carrick ran the Bonnyrigg back line ragged all day ably assisted by Thomson whose positional play is quite something.  

Thought Bonnyrigg were quite, erm, robust.  Lot of power and energy but not much in creativity although I did think the number 11 was excellent (sorry can't remember his name).

Ref was terrible - for both sides.  He maybe needs to remember that not every tackle is a foul and not every foul is a booking.   A combination of his constant whistle and the teams scrapping it out led to a bitty game of quite low quality 

But Stirling showed grit and resilience to keep the run going while not playing all that well.  

Absolutely broke after the latest energy bill so no football for me. Sweated it out watching BBC live scores.  I never thought this would be anything but tough.  Very glad to win it and not be playing catch up with Dumbarton again. Sad that Rose have lost their early form though, I'd like them to do well first time up.

20 hours ago, TheVoiceofReason said:

Thought Bonnyrigg were quite, erm, robust.  Lot of power and energy but not much in creativity although I did think the number 11 was excellent (sorry can't remember his name).

Fair assessment. Desperately need creativity in midfield. 11 is Ross Gray. I watch them semi-regularly when it doesn't clash with ICT. I predicted back in August that their home form would keep them up. They comfortably saw off Forfar and Annan but were well beaten by Stenny and Rovers (twice). They missed late chances to beat Falkirk in the LC. They have a pretty big support but it's a mystery why this is not reflected on here. Most of the Rose support on here are fairly realistic except one bampot who thinks they should be aiming at the Championship/Premier, and when they were in the EOS, was claiming they could hold their own in Lge 1...

Robbie Horn put his trust in the squad that won the LL and only made additions once the season was well under way. Yesterday they were missing Kerr Young, their best defender IMO, and two key players Dean Brett and Lee Currie, somebody can correct me but I think all three are out injured for at least a few weeks. Big McGachie is played sparingly as he has a knee problem. 

5 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Fair assessment. Desperately need creativity in midfield. 11 is Ross Gray. I watch them semi-regularly when it doesn't clash with ICT. I predicted back in August that their home form would keep them up. They comfortably saw off Forfar and Annan but were well beaten by Stenny and Rovers (twice). They missed late chances to beat Falkirk in the LC. They have a pretty big support but it's a mystery why this is not reflected on here. Most of the Rose support on here are fairly realistic except one bampot who thinks they should be aiming at the Championship/Premier, and when they were in the EOS, was claiming they could hold their own in Lge 1...

Robbie Horn put his trust in the squad that won the LL and only made additions once the season was well under way. Yesterday they were missing Kerr Young, their best defender IMO, and two key players Dean Brett and Lee Currie, somebody can correct me but I think all three are out injured for at least a few weeks. Big McGachie is played sparingly as he has a knee problem. 

the likelihood of key players missing seems directly proportional to the distance to away games.

6 hours ago, The Mantis said:

They remind me of Edinburgh City when they came into the league.  Well organised, physical, a lot of petty fouling and time wasting when ahead - anything to ensure survival.  I think they'll be ok although I can't see them getting into the top four.  But that's only based on the two games I've seen them play against stirling.

Couple of players looked pretty good - number 11 looked a good passer of the ball and number 17 covered the whole park - but I think they'll struggle to score.  Smith looks a bit long in the tooth and the guy that came on looked overweight and did nothing to endear himself to the Stirling fans by repeatedly diving.  Not a good look when you're that size 

But they're a welcome addition to the league and Edinburgh have shown what you can do if you build sensibly over time.  Good luck for the rest of the season (unless you're playing Stirling of course)

On 29/10/2022 at 22:25, WC Boggs said:

Absolutely broke after the latest energy bill so no football for me. 

Totally feel for you mate. I had the "pleasure" of telling my son last weekend that we were probably done with Away games for the foreseeable future or the rest of the season because money is simply too tight, and I can't afford it. Shocking when society and politicians would class us as being in well paid employment, but it's the harsh realities. 

10 hours ago, TheVoiceofReason said:

They remind me of Edinburgh City when they came into the league.  Well organised, physical, a lot of petty fouling and time wasting when ahead - anything to ensure survival.  I think they'll be ok although I can't see them getting into the top four.  But that's only based on the two games I've seen them play against stirling.

Couple of players looked pretty good - number 11 looked a good passer of the ball and number 17 covered the whole park - but I think they'll struggle to score.  Smith looks a bit long in the tooth and the guy that came on looked overweight and did nothing to endear himself to the Stirling fans by repeatedly diving.  Not a good look when you're that size 

But they're a welcome addition to the league and Edinburgh have shown what you can do if you build sensibly over time.  Good luck for the rest of the season (unless you're playing Stirling of course)

Time wasting when ahead!!!!!! Your having a laugh. We have very rarely been ahead in any game this season to resort to that tactic. Any team that has scored the first goal against us seems to result in that team wasting time and the referees letting them away with it. All teams now pinch yards at free kicks throw ins and get away with it , but you can’t take a quick free kick till the school teacher gets his tin of paint out to mark two white lines on the pitch. 
I don’t like to slag off referees but the joker in the purple jersey had a shocker for both teams. It was never a penalty and as for the sending off both yellow cards were a joke.

C’mon The Rose 🌹🌹🌹

1 hour ago, bravehearts dad said:

Time wasting when ahead!!!!!! Your having a laugh. We have very rarely been ahead in any game this season to resort to that tactic. Any team that has scored the first goal against us seems to result in that team wasting time and the referees letting them away with it. All teams now pinch yards at free kicks throw ins and get away with it , but you can’t take a quick free kick till the school teacher gets his tin of paint out to mark two white lines on the pitch. 
I don’t like to slag off referees but the joker in the purple jersey had a shocker for both teams. It was never a penalty and as for the sending off both yellow cards were a joke.

C’mon The Rose 🌹🌹🌹

My daughter was at the game and spoke of the referee much as you did. She thought it was a dive, not a penalty. I'll have to wait and see if there's any highlights up to tell.  We commit our share of petty fouls I can assure you. That and that old cliche of "taking one for the team."

The most astonishing thing about that post, was the idea that Edinburgh City built sensibly over time.  Your spending is sustainable, theirs isn't and wasn't.  They'll end up like Gretna, Rose won't.  That and you play in red and white, so what's not to like?  All the best to your club and their support.

My daughter was at the game and spoke of the referee much as you did. She thought it was a dive, not a penalty. I'll have to wait and see if there's any highlights up to tell.  We commit our share of petty fouls I can assure you. That and that old cliche of "taking one for the team."
The most astonishing thing about that post, was the idea that Edinburgh City built sensibly over time.  Your spending is sustainable, theirs isn't and wasn't.  They'll end up like Gretna, Rose won't.  That and you play in red and white, so what's not to like?  All the best to your club and their support.
Bonnyriggs highlights are up -

52 minutes ago, headthebaw said:

The penalty wasn’t a dive. There was contact and I’d put in the ‘soft’ category. 

Mcgachies dive was frankly embarrassing

I was just watching Darren Young's comments. He thought it was a penalty, but a soft one.  The first one we've had this campaign apparently and he felt we've had stronger claims ignored.  The highlights should settle it when they come out. 

He seems to think Kevin Smith suffered a broken toe.  Ouch!  No idea what that means in terms of time to recover, but the last thing Rose needs right now I would think.

6 wins on the trot and the manager of the month albatross beckons.

2 hours ago, WC Boggs said:

Spot on. It's been interesting seeing Rose take over from Nitten Star as the big team in Midlothian over the past decade or so. A perfect example of how a club should be run. I imagine the risks taken in retaining the same squad are largely a consequence of spending a lot on the ground.

15 hours ago, TheVoiceofReason said:

I don't necessarily agree with everything there. I didn't see the game so can't comment, but I'm pretty much a neutral and I think they've had a lot of unfair stick this season from opposing fans.
With the three missing players I mentioned they're definitely a different side. Although quite ageing/experienced/over the hill (take your pick)
Ross Gray (11) only got 17 mins according to the BBC. He's been a regular starter though when I've been there.
Conor Doan (17) signed from Stirling Uni this season. I've been impressed by him. Great prospect.
McGachie is the big forward. Scored a barrowload over the years but has hit the big 3-0 age wise and has a dicky knee.
Kieran Mitchell (no 7) is on loan from Raith. I would be expecting great things from him but no idea how he did this week. Saw him a few weeks ago and felt he was pretty much a spectator as Rose were hemmed in their own half most of the time.

16 hours ago, BS7 said:

the likelihood of key players missing seems directly proportional to the distance to away games.

That's disappointing if true. You'd think they'd be motivated by playing in the SPFL. Apart from Stranraer and Elgin the travelling is not much different from what they're used to.

Edited by The Mantis

I've watched the highlights now and it looks like 15 pushes Kai in the way of the left back's foot. A soft one, but a penalty for me.

That said, McGachie is completely taken out in the box near the end. How a penalty wasn't given there defies belief???  Rose definitely hard done by there. As for Connolly's second booking, that is a fair challenge for a ball running loose and it's the ball he plays. For me not even a foul, never mind a booking.  

PS I'd appeal against that sending off.

Edited by WC Boggs

1 hour ago, WC Boggs said:

I've watched the highlights now and it looks like 15 pushes Kai in the way of the left back's foot. A soft one, but a penalty for me.

That said, McGachie is completely taken out in the box near the end. How a penalty wasn't given there defies belief???  Rose definitely hard done by there. As for Connolly's second booking, that is a fair challenge for a ball running loose and it's the ball he plays. For me not even a foul, never mind a booking.  

Correct never a foul. Referees need to learn to watch the direction of the ball after a challenge to help them with their decision. I thought you were unable to appeal a red card for 2 yellow card offences. It’s a shame The Roses highlights don’t show the incident where Connolly received his first yellow card after an Albion player came flying through the air causing  Connolly to get out of the way of a possible serious injury. In summary 2 yellow cards for doing nothing and receiving a red card from the Headmaster. A totally shocking decision, the Ref needs a few weeks on the naughty step!!!

C’mon The Rose 🌹🌹🌹

5 hours ago, WC Boggs said:

I agree with all of that. Our penalty was soft but it was a penalty. Rose should have had their own penalty though — looks pretty clear cut from the highlights. And the sending off was never a second booking and possibly not even a foul.