Bonnyrigg Rose: the where do I get parked thread

I live 20 mins walk from the park but hardly ever drink in Bonnyrigg. If anybody’s coming out from town on the 31 bus my advice is to buy a day ticket, get off at the Laird & Dug at Lasswade and get a couple of jars there. They usually have 2 guest beers on plus they show the lunchtime game if you’re into that. Then you either walk up the brae or hop on the 31 at 2.25 which drops you right at the park.

ETA out past Liberton the view of Auld Reekie from upstairs in the bus is magnificent.

Edited by The Mantis

My drinking days are long behind me but I used to enjoy my Thursday nights in the Laird & Dog (3 Black Russians and  3 Newky Browns, a winning combination!), with the occasional trip to the Justinlees for a bit of variety. I did not enjoy my infrequent visits to Bonnyrigg town centre pubs though. They may have improved in the past 30 years, but I wouldn't stake my life on it. Again. If anyone can tell me which dreadful dive the Thanes played at, c.1988 perhaps, I'd be very grateful, as my recollection is more than a tad hazy.

Anyway, football... it's a nice wee ground, not too basic, and I expect them to hold their own, at the very least, in L2.

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

TIP: If you start hearing duelling banjos you've missed the ground and are heading towards Rosewell...

Feck all wrong wi Rosewell,in fact theres a boolin club there im sure be quite happy in these troubled times take a bus load and maybes put a few prearranged pies/sandwiches on.Just 5 mins up the road :whistle

Edited by newcastle broon

1 hour ago, newcastle broon said:

Feck all wrong wi Rosewell,in fact theres a boolin club there im sure be quite happy in these troubled times take a bus load and maybes put a few prearranged pies/sandwiches on.Just 5 mins up the road :whistle

I imagine Tam will let you strum his banjo tomorrow night at the semi.

On 30/05/2022 at 09:52, paranoid android said:

:lol:

Aye, but you'll only get in if you're under 18. ;) 

Best pubs in Dalkeith are the Black Bull and Justinlees -  the latter is on the Bonnyrigg side of town, but that's a fair walk.

In Boomtown (Bonnyrigg), the Roses club is probably your best bet - punters in the Anvil and the Royal Oak are surprisingly friendly, imo - no idea what the pub formerly known as the Chase is like now - think the Polton Inn used to be ok.

There are 2 decent chippies in Bongo land, and there's a decent Itailan (Gigi's'?) if you fancy a sit doon - there's a McDonald's at Loanhead/Straiton.

f**k knows where folk will park on match days, like - there is a car park at the Roses club, but it's not massive. 

The biggest compliment I can pay the Rose is that they're now officially rivals, so I'm probably supposed to hate them, but congratulations to them - a great achievement. 

As a Dalkeith native myself, I reckon that’s probably a good place to head to if you want to go with a coach load and book into a pub or have more eating options if you are looking to make a day of it as I imagine Boomtown will be fairly busy. (Anvil, Calderwood especially).

Dalkeith pubs where you’d be able to book a coach load into, I’d say;

- Black Bull (has food aswell)

- Coach and Horses (doesn’t show football)

- Ship Inn 

- The Buccleugh (has food although this is now a Dalkeith Celtic supporters club - be warned) 

All the above show football with exception of the Coach.

Food places

- There’s a plethora of quick eats like Greggs, Baynes, Baguette Express and a few cafes.

- There’s 3x Indian Restaurants, 1x Italian and 1x Chinese as well.

There’s public parking behind the Morrisons next to Midlothian Indoor Bowling Club or you’d be fine parking in Morrisons tbf.

The Lothian buses (49 and 140) go from Dalkeith up to the ground, takes about 10 minutes and you can pay by card. Think it’s £1.80 a single. Or you should be able to get a taxi up for about a tenner.

31 minutes ago, DontForgetToBringATaouil said:

As a Dalkeith native myself, I reckon that’s probably a good place to head to if you want to go with a coach load and book into a pub or have more eating options if you are looking to make a day of it as I imagine Boomtown will be fairly busy. (Anvil, Calderwood especially).

Dalkeith pubs where you’d be able to book a coach load into, I’d say;

- Black Bull (has food aswell)

- Coach and Horses (doesn’t show football)

- Ship Inn 

- The Buccleugh (has food although this is now a Dalkeith Celtic supporters club - be warned) 

All the above show football with exception of the Coach.

Food places

- There’s a plethora of quick eats like Greggs, Baynes, Baguette Express and a few cafes.

- There’s 3x Indian Restaurants, 1x Italian and 1x Chinese as well.

There’s public parking behind the Morrisons next to Midlothian Indoor Bowling Club or you’d be fine parking in Morrisons tbf.

The Lothian buses (49 and 140) go from Dalkeith up to the ground, takes about 10 minutes and you can pay by card. Think it’s £1.80 a single. Or you should be able to get a taxi up for about a tenner.

Won't be back in the The Buccleugh anytime soon. 

Woodburn Club or Easthouses Miners would be a decent option to book a coach load. 

Again my memory fades,but I got off at Eskbank and took the approx 45 minute walk (depends on your legs) I'm sure there were at least 2-3 pubs before I got into the ground. Will definitely go back in 22/23 -liked the ground,about 4 years ago. If they can clear the 500 attendances that would be great.

On 02/06/2022 at 09:08, Andy groundhopper said:

Again my memory fades,but I got off at Eskbank and took the approx 45 minute walk (depends on your legs) I'm sure there were at least 2-3 pubs before I got into the ground. Will definitely go back in 22/23 -liked the ground,about 4 years ago. If they can clear the 500 attendances that would be great.

Should comfortably average over 500.  The club tweeted their ST sales to date earlier this morning.

Bonnyrigg Rose will probably have well over 650 home supporters most games. I take my youngest to home games and also try and get to most away games. Hoping to see some good games at NDP and let the laddie see some new grounds. 

There doesn’t seem to have been much news coming out of Bonnyrigg team wise.

Is it the case that almost the whole squad will be returning for a crack at league 2?  

If so, I think you guys will cope fine, I see people on another thread predicting a quick return for Bonnyrigg, but I see no reason why that should be the case, based on some of the teams I saw against Cowden last season.

Edited by Cowdenleith

There doesn’t seem to have been much news coming out of Bonnyrigg team wise.
Is it the case that almost the whole squad will be returning for a crack at league 2?  

If so, I think you guys will cope fine, I see people on another thread predicting a quick return for Bonnyrigg, but I see no reason why that should be the case, based on some of the teams I saw against Cowden last season.
There haven't been wholesale changes team wise at Bonnyrigg for many years, it's usually a case of 2 or 3 players moving on and another 2 or 3 coming in.

The last I heard the bulk of last seasons squad had re signed and I'd expect a few additions over the summer.

Will we repeat the initial feats of Kelty and Cove? Unlikely I'd say as we don't have anywhere near their budget, I'd like to think we can emulate Edinburgh City in holding our own though.

4 hours ago, Gimme said:

There haven't been wholesale changes team wise at Bonnyrigg for many years, it's usually a case of 2 or 3 players moving on and another 2 or 3 coming in.

The last I heard the bulk of last seasons squad had re signed and I'd expect a few additions over the summer.

Will we repeat the initial feats of Kelty and Cove? Unlikely I'd say as we don't have anywhere near their budget, I'd like to think we can emulate Edinburgh City in holding our own though.

Of course you can hold your own you’ll get better crowds than basically everyone but Elgin probably and looking at L2 this season absolutely no reason why you couldn’t win it there are no standouts

• 2 weeks later...