The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

1 hour ago, Arachnophile said:

Anyone go on the Lesser "site visit" yesterday?

Yes.

Dressing rooms were the talking point. Stylish and inclusive. Looked spacious with the small groups we were in but with 20+ players and coaches it’ll be busy. Showers etc. also high spec. Only saw one though. Work still being done for coaches room. 

Pitch looks amazing. As good as you’ll see anywhere.

Hospitality - Legends lounge extended. This is the main room for matchday Gourmet Pie & Pint offer as per Firhill/Stenny. Cleaned and fresh but essentially same layout. Could have improved acoustics with a suspended ceiling. It’ll be noisy with 100 bodies in. I’ve had conflicting stories about the catering for this. Was originally planned for the new commercial kitchen behind the Laird’s Howf but that’s seemingly not available now. A modest kitchen is now downstairs but it looks like a keep-warm set-up rather than a prep and cook kitchen. As mentioned previously, hospitality guests will have to exit the building (and the ground, especially if South stand is being built) to their seats on the far side.

Members Lounge - as it was but redecorated and table/ 4 chairs configuration, same as upstairs. No bench seats. Definitely no dart board! I have it from people much more in touch with the definition of a good pub these days that the selected draft beers are pish. I’m sure others will have a view on it too.

The East stand and the Laird’s Howf were out of bounds, the latter not even mentioned. The cladding on that stand is the same basic agricultural quality used on the East stand which was designed as a flush, concealed fixing system. Both ends have been graded with soil. A quote of 9 months was given to build the South stand. All decisions on the two ends are pending, waiting on the outcome of this season. Temporary stands are under consideration.

The gym and laundry room are both still in use but it’s expected they move to Lochinch and players will only be at Lesser on matchdays.

Overall, and talking with others during, after and at Ochilview, the opinion was underwhelming. The reason the south stand isn’t built and co-ordinated with the East stand is “we don’t have the money”. After having spaffed the best part of a million smackeroonis on the aborted contract, that’s not surprising. No clarity on how away fans are going to be accommodated. It’s clear that the drivers in the hospitality section are capturing the overflow from major events at Hampden. 

Last but not least, again during, after and at Stenny, the universal opinion from fans regarding when to play our first competitive game was generally, leave it this season and don’t run the risk of putting the team off their stride. 

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

19 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

A quote of 9 months was given to build the South stand. All decisions on the two ends are pending, waiting on the outcome of this season. Temporary stands are under consideration.

That's interesting. Could they be considering a big north stand, then?

18 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

A quote of 9 months was given to build the South stand. All decisions on the two ends are pending, waiting on the outcome of this season. Temporary stands are under consideration.

I could understand their hesitancy to talk openly about the plans should we be promoted; so I pin my hopes that privately the decisions regarding the stands have been made and the necessary works are are ready to go once this season is fnished. 

1 hour ago, CathcartSkins said:

I could understand their hesitancy to talk openly about the plans should we be promoted; so I pin my hopes that privately the decisions regarding the stands have been made and the necessary works are are ready to go once this season is fnished. 

Doesn’t 9 months seem a ridiculously long time to build a stand with a capacity of about 500? I know it’s the exception rather than the rule, the two stands behind the goals at the Caledonia Stadium were built in 47 days! 

2 minutes ago, Northsea80 said:

Doesn’t 9 months seem a ridiculously long time to build a stand with a capacity of about 500? I know it’s the exception rather than the rule, the two stands behind the goals at the Caledonia Stadium were built in 47 days! 

They’re also completely pathetic, in fairness. 

Queen’s Park are quite obviously going to end up with similar though. Temporary stands thrown up in a rush that’ll still be there in a decade.

A completely blank canvas, Premiership football and it’ll be something barely better than Cove,  

1 hour ago, Paco said:

They’re also completely pathetic, in fairness. 

Queen’s Park are quite obviously going to end up with similar though. Temporary stands thrown up in a rush that’ll still be there in a decade.

A completely blank canvas, Premiership football and it’ll be something barely better than Cove,  

I think that’s where the “underwhelming” comes in. As the images above show what’s been done is good quality and looks good but those nice dressing rooms are still inside a temporary building. And as a whole project, as a stadium, as a place to call home, still a lot to be done before any of those boxes can be ticked. And how many pints need to be sold to recover the wasted money?

A golden opportunity to do something special, wasted by incompetence. If it is just that.

13 hours ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

Is it not a bit of a missed opportunity to have a hundred fans in on Saturday and not tell them this face to face, or maybe give a bit of context around some of the decision making? To get the standard chat on Saturday and then this gets published on the Sunday is quite frustrating. 

2 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I think that’s where the “underwhelming” comes in. As the images above show what’s been done is good quality and looks good but those nice dressing rooms are still inside a temporary building. And as a whole project, as a stadium, as a place to call home, still a lot to be done before any of those boxes can be ticked. And how many pints need to be sold to recover the wasted money?

A golden opportunity to do something special, wasted by incompetence. If it is just that.

I just wish I knew what the "bigger and better" promise was based on. There must be a vision somewhere and it's disappointing the supporters and members have not been given more information on this.

1 minute ago, QPEast said:

Grow up.

When ICT got promoted and renovated their stadium, even when their ground was ready, they had to stay at Pittodrie until a full round of fixtures had been played.

Imagine, its a crucial fixture, you're joint top with Dundee, and suddenly, you get the boost of a new stadium?  That can't be allowed, surely? 

1 minute ago, ExiledLichtie said:

When ICT got promoted and renovated their stadium, even when their ground was ready, they had to stay at Pittodrie until a full round of fixtures had been played.

Imagine, its a crucial fixture, you're joint top with Dundee, and suddenly, you get the boost of a new stadium?  That can't be allowed, surely? 

I really need to know the backstory of why you’re so utterly rattled by us.