The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

46 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Just to reinforce the already obvious idea that he's left QP, he's named on the bench for Ross County tonight:

Eamonn Brophy is the first choice striker? This gets funnier and funnier. Once the badge-kissing shyster realises he’s got real strikers in the squad his confidence will be down the drain quicker than a vindaloo on a Sunday morning.

12 minutes ago, Spider1975 said:

Disappointing but rather Murray heading off than Ferrie, Savoury, Thomas or Fox at the moment.  Sad to see him go, but at 30 years old with significant injury history maybe it's best for all parties.  I think we're going to have to get used to this in the years to come as we aim for self-sustainability.

😂 fooling absolutely no one. 

28 minutes ago, GM1867 said:

Disappointed he's gone but, in a way, it's maybe better now than at the end of the season. At least we would have got a transfer fee for him (I wish I knew what it was). We used to lose great players for nothing and this will not be the last disappointment we have with players going elsewhere. 

He was good for us and I'm grateful for the memories, but it's time to move on.

Absolutely true, OC has got a fee for him, that will help pay for the 3 players that are coming in on loan, along with not having to pay Simon's salary .

6 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

The guy grew up a stone’s throw from Shawfield and still chose Queen’s Park. There you have it!

Ah yes those plucky amatuers from the South Side, Sold their soul for the money if I remember correctly lucky he didn't want to stick a few more shillings into his preferred team from the east end

When we signed Murray he wasn't even ready to play in League Two thanks to his injuries, yet we gave him a multiple year contract. Last season he was a disappointing League One player but we gave him another chance anyway. Now he's finally showing his potential (and has been made captain) and he immediately wants to f**k off? Clearly not invested in the club and didn't deserve that leadership role.

5 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Just listened to Coyle on bbc radio Scotland. Says Murray got an outstanding offer from county and we couldn’t compete with it at all, especially as he has a baby on the way

Money which he would have got in the summer if we kept him until the end of the season. We'd hardly have been taking food out of his weans' mouths if we'd decided we wanted him to see out the rest of his contract.

7 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Just listened to Coyle on bbc radio Scotland. Says Murray got an outstanding offer from county and we couldn’t compete with it at all, especially as he has a baby on the way

I heard it too. I thought Coyle was very magnanimous (& also pure raging!)

Edited by Arachnophile

35 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

We are not doing the Gretna thing very well if players are leaving us for financial reasons eh

No, that's exactly what happened to all of Gretna's players eventually...

5 minutes ago, Skeletar Spider said:

Money which he would have got in the summer if we kept him until the end of the season. We'd hardly have been taking food out of his weans' mouths if we'd decided we wanted him to see out the rest of his contract.

Knowing his injury history, say he done his knee again playing for us, would he want to risk potentially losing out on a deal at county where he’s getting substantially more money? I don’t blame him for leaving in all honesty despite how gutting it is for us fans 

Edited by qpfc

1 minute ago, qpfc said:

Knowing his injury history, say he done his knee again playing for us, would he want to risk potentially losing out on a deal at county where he’s getting substantially more money? I don’t blame him for leaving in all honesty 

But would he have been missing out on a deal? My understanding was that he'd signed a pre-contract agreement, and then the two clubs had come to an arrangement for him to move right now.

Obviously disappointing. I never can really manage to hold it against payers moving for money - it's a short career and Murray must never have thought he'd get another big contract given his injury record, but it is still a blow.

24 minutes ago, qpfc said:

As mentioned above, I would be interested in getting an idea of the fee, given that it has to surely reflect the the likely impact on our league position, not just the balance of Murray's deal. Does Coyle's comment imply Murray's head might not have been in it if we had kept him til June? 

I don't know much about Henderson or Shields, but juat as Murray grabbed the playoffs by the scruff last seaaon, there's a chance for someone to make a name for themselves now.

Edited by RichRJohnstone

Just now, Skeletar Spider said:

But would he have been missing out on a deal? My understanding was that he'd signed a pre-contract agreement, and then the two clubs had come to an arrangement for him to move right now.

He could very easily have taken the huff and decided he wasn’t playing for 6 months and seen out his contract. 

If a player wants away then 9/10 the player will be offski. 

1 minute ago, Skeletar Spider said:

Quite possibly but I’m sure there’s many loopholes on how clubs and players can get out of pre contract deals if needs must. It’s not worth the risk to Murray and id imagine that could quite easily be a consideration as to why he may of wanted to leave now ?

11 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

When we signed Murray he wasn't even ready to play in League Two thanks to his injuries, yet we gave him a multiple year contract. Last season he was a disappointing League One player but we gave him another chance anyway. Now he's finally showing his potential (and has been made captain) and he immediately wants to f**k off? Clearly not invested in the club and didn't deserve that leadership role.

I’m not sure if it’s to do with how invested he was in the club. It’s a reality of the game that players move on and money isn’t huge at our level and perhaps beyond. I feel players have to make calls on what’s right for them, and I guess he feels this is right. I agree with how he hadn’t been setting the world alight for us, but we still kept him on. I guess those in the club felt a player was in there. And I’d much rather the player moves on for cash. 

I think he can also move to test himself, better himself and ultimately earn more money playing football whilst he still can. 

All of what I’m suggesting could be accurate or not but that doesn’t detract from how frustrating it is to lose him now and how sad it is to think we’ve lost our captain, who was scoring for fun this year. But surely our club buys/signs players with the hope that we can profit from them down the line. We are a step for players to progress in Scotland. Surely every club in Scotland is just a step on the way to a player wishing to join the ‘Big 2’? 

Anyway, we create a lot, Dens Park game aside, and I think Henderson and Shields will get plenty of chances to score. It’s not over yet. 

15 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

He could very easily have taken the huff and decided he wasn’t playing for 6 months and seen out his contract. 

If a player wants away then 9/10 the player will be offski. 

Absolutely, better a fee to put towards a replacement than someone hanging around on a PCA wishing they were elsewhere.