The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

12 hours ago, foreverarover said:

They have I believe bought the lochinch sports centre within the park. Something that members had been paying for years to upkeep. They aren't exactly making a good name for themselves if this is true. 

Lochinch was the province of Police Scotland, formerly Strathclyde Police, who used Lochinch as their sports complex. Like the rest of Pollok Estate, they would be tenants. The site was under-utilised and costly to run. QP have taken an extended lease on the property. No police were harmed in this incident.

I don’t know who the “members” you refer to are but it was nothing to do with the cricket club. Or the golf club. Or the rugby club. Or any dog-walking rights. Or the highland cattle. Or any horses. And for the avoidance of any doubt, we haven’t stolen the Burrell Collection either.

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

I told you, we should be going after Cartha next. Most (perhaps all) of the land we are talking about belongs to Pollok and Corrour who are basically the Stirling- Maxwell family. They are the original owners of Pollok Estate, a portion of which they gifted to Glasgow Corporation in 1967. That bequest included Pollok House, the land on which the Burrell was built and what today constitutes Pollok Country Park. Other areas (larger than the Country Park) remained in the ownership of the Stirling- Maxwells. So lands such as Shawholm, Nether Pollok, Haggs Castle Golf Club and Lochinch are leased, not owned by their occupiers.

14 hours ago, mcjameos said:

... but that wouldn't fit with the anti QP agenda....... even jumping on rumours which were thankfully disproved 

Where is the anti QP agenda? 😭 What are you on about?

3 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

And for the avoidance of any doubt, we haven’t stolen the Burrell Collection either.

I've heard that the VIP suite is going to house the Cezanne and a Degas from the Burrell Collection. And dinner will be served on Ming Pottery. We've also bought Sir William Burrell's Rolls Royce and a BLT from the Burrell coffee shop.

Edited by GM1867
Spelling and additional info.

On 07/03/2023 at 18:56, GM1867 said:

Shame if this the end of Poloc cricket club. Nice wee place and enjoyed watching the occasional game there many moons ago.

Yes it is sad, but in an interview with a sports writer, I understand that the QP CEO has said that it is not QP who are taking over.  I have heard a whisper that indeed Hutchesons' Grammar School are taking over and that they will be playing cricket there. 

10 minutes ago, Dooflick said:

Yes it is sad, but in an interview with a sports writer, I understand that the QP CEO has said that it is not QP who are taking over.  I have heard a whisper that indeed Hutchesons' Grammar School are taking over and that they will be playing cricket there. 

It's still a shame if it leads to the demise of Poloc CC. Money talks and Hutchie ain't short of a bob or two.

2 hours ago, Dooflick said:

I’m a QP supporter who went to Hutchie and played for Poloc. Whatever the truth is I will feel guilty.

7 hours ago, Dooflick said:

Interesting. On the Poloc CC social media they were talking about indoor sessions on Monday night….at Hutchie Grammar.

On 08/03/2023 at 03:55, Spiders67 said:

However, I have now heard from a few trusted sources that QP are not the new tenants and it was just a rumour after all

Also heard this. Relieved that a club that I have a lot of time for is thankfully not involved. Having heard a little more about the backstory, it does sound like there have been a lot of discussions over a long period of time between Poloc and their landlords, so was not entirely unexpected. A lot of Poloc's income comes from using their facilities as a gym and fitness centre, so losing access to that cuts off a huge amount of income that they'll struggle to make up, hence them considering folding the club.

Edited by Cyclizine