The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

46 minutes ago, I Zingari said:

I'm quite sure there will have been a long-term plan but no one would have anticipated that Queen's would be challenging at the top of the Championship two years later. What exactly are you expecting her to say?

You’re the only person, virtually or really, about the club who I’ve heard even trying to defend Dempster. How about rather than picking people up all the time you take the lead and tell us what it is about her we’re missing? 

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Yeh, Morton for sure. Between now and end of March I’d expect a lot more on the win column. If it ain’t broken…

Me too, 5 of our next 7 are at ‘home’ and I think we can really build momentum again. 

We have averaged 1.87 points per game this season so far. That carries on we end on 67 points, same as title winning Killie last year. 

To be fair, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anybody foresaw the meteoric rise that Queen's Park have experienced. Back-to-back promotions and now being top of the Championship is almost unprecedented (Gretna and Arbroath are the only two clubs I can think of, and the latter failed to secure the last promotion), however what I don't understand is why preparation is not being made now. The old saying is 'failure to prepare is preparing to fail', and I would have expected Dempster to say something along the lines of:

"we never imagined we'd be in this situation, however we're now exploring our options and considering what we'll do if the club does win another promotion - whether that is moving back to Hampden proper, or groundsharing with a club that could accommodate the bigger crowds, we're not currently sure certain. But rest assured preparations are being made." 

What she said was bizarre and amateurish. "We'll cross that bridge when we come to it..." is not what one would expect to hear from someone in her position. As things stand, the club will be playing in the top-flight with a capacity of ~1,000, which is a wasted opportunity.

Does anybody else see the irony in the fact that the club sold off a 52,000 capacity stadium and, with the proceeds (and Haughey's investment), have achieved such rapid success that they now need a much bigger ground than they have considered? The logical conclusion is to play at Hampden if you're promotd, but will the SFA allow it? 

The first and only person talking about possible Premiership football in the press was Leeann Dempster. We’ve undoubtedly outrun ourselves but if that was your stated aim, then you surely must have some sort of vague plan.

The off the pitch “plan” seems to involve trying to lay the road in front of ourselves as we sprint. Can’t really be surprised when the result of that is continually stumbling around and having no idea where the finish line is. 

The Members were asked to vote on a decision based on dodging the trap door. The quote from the President was “the best way to not be relegated from L2, is to not be in L2”. No one mentioned premiership football until Dempster arrived.
Don’t get it twisted, the ride to this point has been great, but Dempster started the premiership chat and now that it’s time to deliver off the park, we’re severely lacking.

She doesn’t take accountability for the stadium, errors like the Scottish Cup, lack of fan communication, the lack of strategic and forward planning.

At some point the Chief Executive role has to be accountable for something. 

13 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Three and a half years since the momentous decision to go professional and we’re still telling the world we’re amateurs.

Tbh given the Henderson debacle, the ongoing Ochilview situation and the Lesser Hampden saga, whoever left it unedited looks remarkably prescient...

Edited by HibeeJibee

On 04/02/2023 at 09:04, I Zingari said:

This is a football forum. You should express your political views elsewhere.

There was no political view in that comment. I named an individual whom, like Dempster and other underachievers in the public light, regardless of how big the mistake is or how much it costs, it’s okay as long as something can be learned from it. It’s a societal problem, not political.

But seeing as you've raised the spectre of politics in sport, maybe you could get your best fountain pen out and write a complaint to the CEO/President asking why we have a Labour member from the House of Lords so deeply involved in our club? His duty as a Lord is to consider Bills and pass into Act which then becomes enshrined in law. Same as MPs. It’s not what he’s best known for, but he’s a politician. Just like our previous patron of the club, Lord MacFarlane of Bearsden was, although he was a Conservative member.

I should caution you though, not having Sir William Haughey, Baron Haughey of Hutchesontown around might throw up some new challenges. Really big ones.

Scottish Cup 

is the case on this now closed?  Club missing next round bonus(at least), gate money. Players missing chance of win bonus plus cup upset. Supporters out of pocket, taken time off work? The full embarrassment of this.

Is this not the second time a substantial mistake has been made (team lines Cowdenbeath) .

while the individual involved is an unpaid volunteer, there has to be accountability for a second major error. I would have thought at least resignation from Committee and role has to come. The Club must now look to employ or include this in a current paid job description.

20 minutes ago, QPoriginal said:

Scottish Cup 

is the case on this now closed?  Club missing next round bonus(at least), gate money. Players missing chance of win bonus plus cup upset. Supporters out of pocket, taken time off work? The full embarrassment of this.

Is this not the second time a substantial mistake has been made (team lines Cowdenbeath) .

while the individual involved is an unpaid volunteer, there has to be accountability for a second major error. I would have thought at least resignation from Committee and role has to come. The Club must now look to employ or include this in a current paid job description.

The “let’s all move on” stuff in the statement was wishful thinking on the part of the club. I’ve not spoken to or heard of a single fan who is yet prepared to do that. 

39 minutes ago, an86 said:

The “let’s all move on” stuff in the statement was wishful thinking on the part of the club. I’ve not spoken to or heard of a single fan who is yet prepared to do that. 

I'm not quite clear what we are meant to do if we don't move on  - are we going to be banging on about for the rest of the season? 

It was a stupid mistake  - which could only have been made when a cup tie is postponed during 

the transfer window - when did that last happen to us? 

As for someone resigning - do we know whose job it was to check? and how will it make things better if they resign?

I do hope the club come up with some way to compensate those who made the long (and ultimately fruitless) trip to Inverness.

I'm not excusing anyone and I was as raging as anyone last Tuesday - in fairness probably not quite as raging as those who trecked up to Inverness!!

The water may be murky & the bridge may be a tad shoogly but it is water under the bridge now & we have a league to win.

Personally I am far more concerned about the "getting lesser every day" Hampden fiasco.  

2 minutes ago, Tangled web said:

No-one needs to resign. Let's move on.

I spent £100+ for travel, accommodation and a ticket for the game. That’s before you add in food and drink. I spent it on a game that will be wiped from the record books because of a professional football club operating like amateurs. There will be no moving on.

5 minutes ago, Tangled web said:

No-one needs to resign. Let's move on.

I think they do. That was gross misconduct was it not? It was not just a simple error. It has cost the club thousands of pounds, not to mention the cost and disappointment to fans and potential affect on the players.  Is that OK in your book?

2 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

I think they do. That was gross misconduct was it not? It was not just a simple error. It has cost the club thousands of pounds, not to mention the cost and disappointment to fans and potential affect on the players.  Is that OK in your book?

Yep, not just the club. When you add up the collective tickets, travel and expenditure of fans on that trip, you’re also talking thousands of pounds in total as well. We’re not just talking a wee typo here. There’s not many of us who are minted either.

We all know there is a culture of zero accountability within the football club, so it should come as no surprise that they think simply drawing a line under this is acceptable. As has been mentioned, this is not the first time this has happened. 

26 minutes ago, an86 said:

I spent £100+ for travel, accommodation and a ticket for the game. That’s before you add in food and drink. I spent it on a game that will be wiped from the record books because of a professional football club operating like amateurs. There will be no moving on.

I was at the game too and irrespective of us being chucked out of the cup I enjoyed it. It was a welcome relief after Dundee. 

1 minute ago, spiders4ever said:

I was at the game too and irrespective of us being chucked out of the cup I enjoyed it. It was a welcome relief after Dundee. 

I enjoyed it at the time, but that’s not really the issue here. Had I known it was going to be a meaningless game, which it now essentially was, I wouldn’t have spent time and money attending it. 

I get it. Money was spent, time was used. Someone made a mistake, we're out of the cup. If it had been player error would you be calling for resignation? If the individual is indeed a volunteer are you going to volunteer to replace them? I'm sure they feel bad enough without a crowd at the door with torches and pitchforks. We can move on now or move on later. I'm choosing to move on now.

11 minutes ago, Tangled web said:

I get it. Money was spent, time was used. Someone made a mistake, we're out of the cup. If it had been player error would you be calling for resignation? If the individual is indeed a volunteer are you going to volunteer to replace them? I'm sure they feel bad enough without a crowd at the door with torches and pitchforks. We can move on now or move on later. I'm choosing to move on now.

Volunteers shouldn’t be tasked with significant roles of responsibility within a professional organisation. In what other working environment would key paper work be carried out by a keen amateur? That’s on the Chief Executive. Not on the individual in question. 

Edited by an86