The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

12 hours ago, I Zingari said:

Ged O'Brien is a well-respected football historian who never fails to emphasise the importance of Queen's Park in the development of the game of football as we know it today. You may not agree with his views on the Farmhouse but it is people like Ged who bring the history of our club to an international audience. 

I know exactly who he is. Someone who uses our club’s history and heritage as part of his pet projects, occasionally to sell books. That’s fair enough. It doesn’t give him ownership of it or carte blanche to spread misinformation. 

I can accept folk who are invested in our club having a pop at us for any number of reasons. Folk who aren’t, quite frankly, don’t matter. This is our club. Not someone’s history project.

Looks like Andrew Watson is O’Brian’s avatar. Not sure what that means, the player or the club?

Anyhoos, in more relevant news, Morton have announced on their ticket page that QP fans will be housed in part of the main stand. Not sure if that’s good or bad after the Dens experience. But at least we’re not in the open.

image.thumb.png.4e639db57770f6c8cdf4c70407bd65d7.png

4 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Anyhoos, in more relevant news, Morton have announced on their ticket page that QP fans will be housed in part of the main stand. Not sure if that’s good or bad after the Dens experience. But at least we’re not in the open.

image.thumb.png.4e639db57770f6c8cdf4c70407bd65d7.png

My recollection of it is that the view is OK, but that it was built for people under 5ft 8. Knees up at the chin stuff. Stewards were the worst types as well.

15 hours ago, an86 said:

Have to say that calling the AGM between Christmas and New Year is very much what the kids would call “on brand” from Queen’s Park in terms of making things convenient.

Might end up with more folk able to attend than normally would; still leaving it to the last possible moment sends out the wrong message.  Am holding out for some good news about the permanent return to Lesser. It is the hope that kills you. 

4 hours ago, CathcartSkins said:

Might end up with more folk able to attend than normally would; still leaving it to the last possible moment sends out the wrong message.  Am holding out for some good news about the permanent return to Lesser. It is the hope that kills you. 

There’s only two working days between the meeting and the Thistle game. I’d expect tickets to be on sale by then and I’d expect info like the match venue to be on the ticket. So you should know before the meeting. Equally, maybe not. It’s the expectation that keeps kicking us in the baws.

22 hours ago, an86 said:

Have to say that calling the AGM between Christmas and New Year is very much what the kids would call “on brand” from Queen’s Park in terms of making things convenient.

Was there pressure to hold the AGM before the end of the next financial year (31 December)?

3 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

There’s only two working days between the meeting and the Thistle game. I’d expect tickets to be on sale by then and I’d expect info like the match venue to be on the ticket. So you should know before the meeting. Equally, maybe not. It’s the expectation that keeps kicking us in the baws.

They still haven’t announced the post 1/1/23 game locations?

9 hours ago, CathcartSkins said:

Agreed re more people being able to attend given that so many will be on holiday. Given we've been waiting so long for this, I'll forego The Great Escape on telly to head along.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

They still haven’t announced the post 1/1/23 game locations?

Of course not.

2 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Agreed re more people being able to attend given that so many will be on holiday. Given we've been waiting so long for this, I'll forego The Great Escape on telly to head along.

Surely more folk likely to have alternative plans if they’re on holiday? Typically inconvenient timing imo. Ridiculous that it’s actually gotten until this time without one. 

58 minutes ago, G_&_T said:

Any recent pics of Lesser?

The Directors Box is almost ready while they’re beginning to add parts for the entrance of the East Stand. These were taken a few days ago so there should be more progress 

B9F5285B-4728-43B6-8B8B-FDEAF60B0542.jpeg

05B918B5-03E9-45DA-AA26-ACBBCAB06D4A.jpeg

18 minutes ago, h_w7864 said:

The Directors Box is almost ready while they’re beginning to add parts for the entrance of the East Stand. These were taken a few days ago so there should be more progress 

B9F5285B-4728-43B6-8B8B-FDEAF60B0542.jpeg

05B918B5-03E9-45DA-AA26-ACBBCAB06D4A.jpeg

The Royal Box is tiny. There appears to be about one-third of the west side that is still free for development. Another 500 if terraced, surely? Also I don't think it would restrict the Royal view in any way. 

15 minutes ago, G_&_T said:

The Royal Box is tiny. There appears to be about one-third of the west side that is still free for development. Another 500 if terraced, surely? Also I don't think it would restrict the Royal view in any way. 

Yes but think of the smell.

I’m sorry but that stand looks ridiculous. What a wasted opportunity.

2 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

Yes but think of the smell.

I’m sorry but that stand looks ridiculous. What a wasted opportunity.

Well, Queen's Park is a very old club, with a rich history. It was founded in 1867, when the prime minister was the Earl of Derby and just the previous year there was a public hanging in Glasgow Green.(1) The last public hanging in Scotland was actually the year after they were founded. (2) Indeed, it's entirely possible that some of those who attended Queen's Park's first games had fought at the Battle of Waterloo. 

Of course the class system in Victorian Glasgow was very conspicuous in all aspects of society, even housing:

Victorian society was very conscious of class hierarchy and this was apparent in the architecture of places like Partick, in the west of Glasgow. Here, individual villas at the top of the hill were the reserve of wealthy industrialists, bankers and merchants. Below that, the housing reflected the social pecking order - terraces for the professional classes, fine tenements for the skilled workers who thought of themselves as lower middle class, and no-frills housing blocks for the labourers.

So in a way, I think it's rather quaint that they're reviving Victorian attitudes to social class. 😆

Credit to @h_w7864 for the pic, which I have merely cropped  so that it's bigger:

205395024_LesserHampdenNov23.thumb.jpg.cbbb5abd0559efc762f41119dad10b38.jpg

(1) https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/3551066/

(2) https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-43966378

Edited by G_&_T

2 hours ago, G_&_T said:

There appears to be about one-third of the west side that is still free for development. Another 500 if terraced, surely? Also I don't think it would restrict the Royal view in any way. 

Except the club have put a massive water tank half way along that part of the ground,  effectively blocking any chance of putting seats there.

If they had put any thought into it they could have it buried under the pitch like we did at the main stadium in 1999, leaving space for a small stand.