The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

I’ve said this before but that stand is mind bogglingly out of touch. The best view and location for seats in the entire ground, reserved for a tiny amount of “dignitaries”.

What would have been acceptable, a nod to the past and would still have given them a dedicated stand, would be to have built a corner pavilion. Would have been something really unique in a modern ground and would have fit in with QPs historic image.

Opportunity missed imo.

1 hour ago, Tattie36 said:

I’ve said this before but that stand is mind bogglingly out of touch. The best view and location for seats in the entire ground, reserved for a tiny amount of “dignitaries”.

What would have been acceptable, a nod to the past and would still have given them a dedicated stand, would be to have built a corner pavilion. Would have been something really unique in a modern ground and would have fit in with QPs historic image.

Opportunity missed imo.

It’s particularly galling that the entire west side of the ground is being used for this, leaving us with a capacity that is just not fit for purpose (and that’s not even considering our alleged ambitions to grow the club in the community)

“Bigger and Better for Lesser Hampden” was the laughable headline when this shambles was announced. 

Edited by Spider Rico

45 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

It’s particularly galling that the entire west side of the ground is being used for this, leaving us with a capacity that is just not fit for purpose (and that’s not even considering our alleged ambitions to grow the club in the community)

“Bigger and Better for Lesser Hampden” was the laughable headline when this shambles was announced. 

Yeah, it's just so short sighted.

QP have huge potential. You just have to look at my team (Arbroath) to see how a bit of success, feel good factor and fan engagement can really capture the public's imagination. We have around 1500 season ticket holders this season (1200 last season) when our entire average home support 10 year ago was around 600-700. A big part of this is obviously our recent success but the off field efforts by the club to engage the town and beyond also plays a huge part. It's mind boggling how far we've come and Queens obviously have a much bigger potential fanbase. As I said though, it's not just about success on the park, the fans need to feel valued and appreciated too... fostering a them v us atmosphere isn't a good look.

Edited by Tattie36

10 hours ago, Northsea80 said:

What’s going in the area from the end of the stand down to the corner flag? Is it going to end up looking like a tannadice type situation with the Grand stand and the fair play stand right beside each other on the one side of the pitch?

IMG_8500.jpg

They don’t know what to do with it yet. The green containers are to do with the pitch system and are permanent, although I don’t recall seeing similar at Anfield or Old Trafford. So on the east and south we have an architectural feature with a co-ordinated roofline and fully enclosed. On the West side we have the unique shape of the Pavillion, a cabin system with cladding to match the West stand, a gap between those two and the Director’s Box (Rogue’s Gallery?) two big green plastic thingys and then lots of space.

Guess which parts are done by the recognised and experienced architect and guess what parts Big Jock and his Percy got involved in.

4 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

They don’t know what to do with it yet. The green containers are to do with the pitch system and are permanent, although I don’t recall seeing similar at Anfield or Old Trafford. So on the east and south we have an architectural feature with a co-ordinated roofline and fully enclosed. On the West side we have the unique shape of the Pavillion, a cabin system with cladding to match the West stand, a gap between those two and the Director’s Box (Rogue’s Gallery?) two big green plastic thingys and then lots of space.

Guess which parts are done by the recognised and experienced architect and guess what parts Big Jock and his Percy got involved in.

If seating could be somehow fitted above the dressing rooms, connecting with the Directors Box, then that would go some way to increasing capacity and making best use of the social club bars. 

39 minutes ago, CathcartSkins said:

If seating could be somehow fitted above the dressing rooms, connecting with the Directors Box, then that would go some way to increasing capacity and making best use of the social club bars. 

Apparently that's the plan in the longer term. The changing rooms have been built in such a way that they can support seating on top of them, with direct access into the pavilion.

Could be a few years down the line though.

3 hours ago, Ben Reilly said:

Apparently that's the plan in the longer term. The changing rooms have been built in such a way that they can support seating on top of them, with direct access into the pavilion.

Could be a few years down the line though.

Hopefully the plan is to have one big stand down that side, incorporating the "top guy" stand into the design, with seats outside the pavilion too making it run the full length of the pitch.

7 minutes ago, Northsea80 said:

I don’t think there’s space for seating outside the pavilion with the building for the changing rooms being there now. They seem to be right on pitch side.

They plan to put seats on top of the changing rooms eventually.

19 hours ago, Arachnophile said:

More likely King William by the time its finished (that should get some Rangers fans along)

There must be some ancestors of Mary Queen of Scots still kicking about, get them invited along to open the new ground (seeing as we're indirectly named after her) A link with a good catholic monarch should keep them miles away 😉   

19 minutes ago, Mick1867 said:

There must be some ancestors of Mary Queen of Scots still kicking about, get them invited along to open the new ground (seeing as we're indirectly named after her) A link with a good catholic monarch should keep them miles away 😉   

As a person of faith myself I would prefer a more secular reasoning behind the choice of person to open the new Lesser.

Having a competition among the various schools and community groups would garner much positive publicity over a period of time; the wean gets to cut the ribbon and their parent pulls the first pint in the bar.    

1 hour ago, CathcartSkins said:

As a person of faith myself I would prefer a more secular reasoning behind the choice of person to open the new Lesser.

Having a competition among the various schools and community groups would garner much positive publicity over a period of time; the wean gets to cut the ribbon and their parent pulls the first pint in the bar.    

As an atheist, a parent and a drinker, that sounds perfectly reasonable to me.  

On 13/09/2022 at 16:41, Northsea80 said:

One would imagine King Charles III will be present for the ribbon cutting?

Ironically enough your stadium is - via the original's street - named after Sir John Hampden. His opposition to levying Ship Money inland made him a cause celebre; and his attempted arrest alongside 4 other MPs a step on the road to the English Civil War, which broke-out months later and ultimately cost Charles I his head.