The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

43 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

No one, but no one, bar the sort of people who are a blight on our wonderful country, would be the slight bit bothered if our game went ahead. 

I’ve just been reading that our new King has declared a period of seven days of mourning after the funeral which is likely to be Monday 19th. So a strong possibility we won’t see a game this month, including the Belfast trip. 

52 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I’ve just been reading that our new King has declared a period of seven days of mourning after the funeral which is likely to be Monday 19th. So a strong possibility we won’t see a game this month, including the Belfast trip. 

I'm optimistic that after this weekend there will be no further mourning related postponements, not because anyone cares about us, but because of the huge money spinner that is the Champion's league & the difficulty in rescheduling games in a winter world cup season.

Add to that, the fact that England are playing cricket in London tomorrow (oops today) & it's hard to see any justification for further postponements.

Edited by Arachnophile

6 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Clubs have had notification from the SPFL that games will be on next week as long as the funeral is not on the Saturday ( which looks it’s going to be the Monday ) protocol of the mourning is only no games to take place during the hours of the funeral 

I don't get to many Queen's games because of where I live - I had arranged travel and booked a hotel for this weekends game. Now that it is off at late notice I can't cancel my hotel booking. So, a large expenditure for nothing. I'll just need to console myself with a few beers in the city centre instead.

I'm sad the Queen died, as I would be with anyone's death, but it really doesn't mean that much to me. I am pissed off with the fawning media and manufactured 'outpouring' (hate that word) of grief that we are now supposed to indulge in.

The cricket is on, the football is off. Shops open, pubs open, cinemas, theatres, etc, etc. why is football different?

13 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

That's a very blinkered response. You think it’s just Celtic fans who have issues with the royal family?

Some Queen’s Park fans have a very wide and deep understanding of what the Monarchy, The Realm, The Commonwealth and The Establishment are really all about. The fitba on a Saturday should be devoid from politics, not punished by it. 

Just a general musing on the politics on a Saturday afternoon thing. Whilst I don’t think football matches should turn into political rallies, it’s almost impossible to separate the two issues in some cases. For example, if we’re operating a food bank, we’re doing it because government choices have led to people becoming so impoverished that they can’t afford to feed themselves properly.

There are other issues that are often seen as political by a lot of folk which, to me, are not. Things like anti-racism and pro-LGBT or any support for other marginalised groups, who are targets of bigots, should be shown support by major organisations within local communities, which includes football clubs. I’d be more than happy to see the rainbow flag or a Refugees Welcome banner among our support, not as a political act, but to say to everyone in the Southside that this club is for them. Being visually welcoming is important, I think. It puts people at ease.

The likes of Bohemians in Dublin, St Pauli in Hamburg, Dulwich Hamlet in London are known as “political” clubs and I don’t really think they are. They’re just welcoming and proactive in terms of helping and welcoming marginalised sections of their communities. Where the politics starts and ends can be a grey area, but I do think our support and our club has a role to play within all of the above.

2 hours ago, an86 said:

Just a general musing on the politics on a Saturday afternoon thing. Whilst I don’t think football matches should turn into political rallies, it’s almost impossible to separate the two issues in some cases. For example, if we’re operating a food bank, we’re doing it because government choices have led to people becoming so impoverished that they can’t afford to feed themselves properly.

There are other issues that are often seen as political by a lot of folk which, to me, are not. Things like anti-racism and pro-LGBT or any support for other marginalised groups, who are targets of bigots, should be shown support by major organisations within local communities, which includes football clubs. I’d be more than happy to see the rainbow flag or a Refugees Welcome banner among our support, not as a political act, but to say to everyone in the Southside that this club is for them. Being visually welcoming is important, I think. It puts people at ease.

The likes of Bohemians in Dublin, St Pauli in Hamburg, Dulwich Hamlet in London are known as “political” clubs and I don’t really think they are. They’re just welcoming and proactive in terms of helping and welcoming marginalised sections of their communities. Where the politics starts and ends can be a grey area, but I do think our support and our club has a role to play within all of the above.

You’ve put this very well and I completely agree with you. I feel there’s a difference between showing support for or opposing a socio-political issue and staging a full on political rally at a sporting event. 

16 hours ago, mcjameos said:

Ffs. Its bad enough the games were cancelled without lowering ourselves to the brainless antics of the jakeys from other parts of Glasgow. Can we get back to the football. 

We will do, once our enforced period of mourning is over. 

On 02/09/2022 at 10:45, Ben Reilly said:

I heard this morning that Liam Brown might be heading out in loan to Alloa. That surprises me if it's true as I thought he would be next in the pecking order if Thompson or Mal are missing, but it came from a someone who would be in the know.

According to the same source as before, Brown turned down the loan move to Alloa as he wants to fight for his place in the team.

Encouraging that he wants to stay, and hopefully it pays off for both him and the team.

On 11/09/2022 at 21:06, Ben Reilly said:

According to the same source as before, Brown turned down the loan move to Alloa as he wants to fight for his place in the team.

Encouraging that he wants to stay, and hopefully it pays off for both him and the team.

I would have respected him leaving for more game time but equally respect him staying to fight for his position. Not an easy decision for footballers, good luck to the guy. 

On 11/09/2022 at 21:06, Ben Reilly said:

Good to hear. There’s definitely still a place for Brown in this team across the season. Maybe not in favour at this time but we shouldn’t be loaning out someone as talented as him. We’re playing a system currently that doesn’t really have a suited position for him but when injuries and suspensions become more apparent, I’d imagine he’ll get his chance. You’ve just got to really hope he takes it when it comes as i do think he’s capable of playing at championship level 

10 minutes ago, Northsea80 said:

Took a walk past Lesser this afternoon, work gathering pace on the vip section of the ground. 3 rows of seats in a nice elevated position. Can’t be giving them the worms eye view of the East stand.

IMG_8497.jpg

Aye. There will be no sun in their eyes either (on the rare days we get some)