The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

19 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Talking of Scott’s Menswear, our reputable kit sponsor, I spotted this page. Those two models look awfy like QP players Jacques Heraghty and Dom Thomas. N’est pas? If we ever do a deal with House of Slippers I’ll be right on the phone.

FBEDB2BD-EB05-4F93-B255-3A2522443767.thumb.jpeg.60a0251e91345c2da9d5d9f335d60949.jpeg

Already mentioned on previous page. You looking for a deal with Alzheimer Scotland? 😉

Edited by Mick1867

Quite excited by this signing, seeing he's already played 32 games in his senior career, so isn't coming in totally green. I was thinking last week that if we stick with Williamson and Murray we don't really have any forward players on the bench, so it makes sense.

https://queensparkfc.co.uk/johnny-kenny-on-season-loan-from-celtic/

Back to the subject of temporary stands at Lesser….looks like the previously unambitious directors at Cove have finally got the message and installed new seating areas to make their stadium look more like a football ground. Although it could be argued that the larger travelling supports in this league were of interest to them. Still, stands now in place, temporarily at least. Proving the point, like the wonderful Dunbar FC set-up, that things can be done when needed.

19 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Back to the subject of temporary stands at Lesser….looks like the previously unambitious directors at Cove have finally got the message and installed new seating areas to make their stadium look more like a football ground. Although it could be argued that the larger travelling supports in this league were of interest to them. Still, stands now in place, temporarily at least. Proving the point, like the wonderful Dunbar FC set-up, that things can be done when needed.

Better hope the good run doesn't continue - Its hard to imagine Lesser Hampden being suitable for premiership football in 11 month's time.!!

4 hours ago, Arachnophile said:

Better hope the good run doesn't continue - Its hard to imagine Lesser Hampden being suitable for premiership football in 11 month's time.!!

I take your post as you intended (I think), but it does raise the issue again that Lesser Hampden is totally unsuited to our ambition. Where next?

1 hour ago, williebraveheart said:

I take your post as you intended (I think), but it does raise the issue again that Lesser Hampden is totally unsuited to our ambition. Where next?

One of the good things about lack of credible info is the space it creates for wild speculation. I might get a job at The Record for this one….

image.thumb.jpeg.4b01deb94ab4e537adec08fa69be7a30.jpeg

10 hours ago, Arachnophile said:

Under the 2013 rules, any ground that is good enough for the Championship is also good enough for the Premiership, so Lesser Hampden, albeit on the small side, will be suitable by the rules.

I mean Meadowbank ffs is almost suitable for the Premiership.

12 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

One of the good things about lack of credible info is the space it creates for wild speculation. I might get a job at The Record for this one….

image.thumb.jpeg.4b01deb94ab4e537adec08fa69be7a30.jpeg

Couldn’t see that one flying. Traffic clogging up Pollok Park and building on one of the most green and serene corners of the city would likely bring some of the old Pollok Free Staters out of retirement!

11 minutes ago, an86 said:

Couldn’t see that one flying. Traffic clogging up Pollok Park and building on one of the most green and serene corners of the city would likely bring some of the old Pollok Free Staters out of retirement!

Sunday night nonsense. Although I reserve the right to a Finders Fee if it flies. With a British Lord in our team, anything could happen.

8 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Sunday night nonsense. Although I reserve the right to a Finders Fee if it flies. With a British Lord in our team, anything could happen.

My biggest fear is that we eventually end up in some purpose built box on the outskirts. I actually like the idea of maximising Lesser, even if on the small side. Would rather have a stadium that was sometimes too small than one that often sat with a load of empty seats. We’re obviously looking to maximise our income, though. I get that. Who knows what might happen if our larger next door neighbour is redeveloped? Hard to say who might be involved in such a scenario.

The unholy mess of the redevelopment of Lesser has pretty much limited the potential of what may or may not eventually emerge on what was already a confined site. I guess the towering East Stand with its three rows of seats may hold around 1,000 (and that's being optimistic) with perhaps 500 tops in the similar South Stand (optimistic again). The north side has space for a larger stand but will it end up as just a mirror of the South Stand? The West Side of the ground will be devoted to a pavilion with seating for 40 "directors" and sponsors but at least they're getting their own dedicated kitchen and hospitality. If the thing ever gets finished we're probably looking at a capacity of not much over 2,000, or likely less. Basically it's an upmarket Lowland League stadium. There was room on the site for a 3,000 seater stadium at least which could easily have catered for Queen's needs as a prospective Championship club with ambitions to grow the support from the surrounding community plus have space for larger visiting supports.

A move to a lego stadium beside some motorway junction in the middle of nowhere would pretty much sever the club from its community and make growing the support impossible. Ach well.

20 hours ago, Arachnophile said:

It's not even suitable for Championship football imo. We might just get away with it in this division when the capacity goes to 1,500 but I think that no supporter at this level should be locked out from seeing their team, home or away. Going initially with the one stand (and with the games not even being streamed) means that some weeks some away fans are going to miss out. Maybe even home fans if our local support starts to grow. That's shite imo  

Edited by Mick1867

On 20/08/2022 at 08:56, qpfc said:

Time for Eze to step up now 

And step up he most certainly did. I was a bit concerned when I heard the news on the way up but the biggest compliment I can pay him (and Kilday) is we didn't really miss Fox that much. But then again, the whole team played so well and we were on the front foot for most of the game. 

The last two weeks have been great to see. I feared for the team's confidence after that Ayr second half but it's been some reaction from them. The football we are playing is also a joy to watch at times. Coyle and Stewart are really getting a tune out these lads. 

2 hours ago, Spidersmad said:

The unholy mess of the redevelopment of Lesser has pretty much limited the potential of what may or may not eventually emerge on what was already a confined site. I guess the towering East Stand with its three rows of seats may hold around 1,000 (and that's being optimistic) with perhaps 500 tops in the similar South Stand (optimistic again). The north side has space for a larger stand but will it end up as just a mirror of the South Stand? The West Side of the ground will be devoted to a pavilion with seating for 40 "directors" and sponsors but at least they're getting their own dedicated kitchen and hospitality. If the thing ever gets finished we're probably looking at a capacity of not much over 2,000, or likely less. Basically it's an upmarket Lowland League stadium. There was room on the site for a 3,000 seater stadium at least which could easily have catered for Queen's needs as a prospective Championship club with ambitions to grow the support from the surrounding community plus have space for larger visiting supports.

A move to a lego stadium beside some motorway junction in the middle of nowhere would pretty much sever the club from its community and make growing the support impossible. Ach well.

A highly unscientific look at google maps suggest that Lesser covers about the same area as Starks Park which seats 9,000.  I appreciate that the presence of the JB McAlpine Pavilion will limit capacity somewhat but is there a good reason why we can't come up with  a stadium design that holds 5-6,000?

1 hour ago, Mick1867 said:

It's not even suitable for Championship football imo. We might just get away with it in this division when the capacity goes to 1,500 but I think that no supporter at this level should be locked out from seeing their team, home or away. Going initially with the one stand (and with the games not even being streamed) means that some weeks some away fans are going to miss out. Maybe even home fans if our local support starts to grow. That's shite imo  

There’s no doubt in my mind that there will be an upsurge the minute we get back, particularly if the club market it well, which tbf is one of the things we’ve actually managed to do well in the circumstances. Been pleasantly surprised by how many fans we’ve had at Stenny. Was expecting 250 in the stand with away supports mocking our pish support.