The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

This looks nice.

I like what you've done with the place since we were last up here.

Am hoping we will be able to stick around for a wee while; maybe sneak a fourth-place spot - aiming for fourth seemed to upset a few folks from Airdrie and Falkirk last year; lack of ambition they said.  

1 hour ago, eez-eh said:

You’ll only have 2 home games on the telly. BBC can’t visit the same ground more than twice.

Thanks, I didn't know that was the arrangement. Lots of new things to learn up here in the Championship.

New online digs, excellent. Real life digs, TBC. 

I'm pretty relaxed about the playing side of things this season. We've got a decent core group, already made an exciting addition and with the looks of the release list from last week, we'll be shaping up to be competitive. Hope we can get bodies in the door nice and early and  Coyle can whip them into shape.  

20 hours ago, an86 said:

I’d suggest that we’ve surely considered this, but we’re talking about a club who announced we’d be sharing at Broadwood after we left Hampden, only to quickly u-turn and play at Falkirk. Stenny Sundays would be typically on brand for the utterly farcical way the club has dealt with the 

I heard from someone involved with syngenta that Queens Park were only playing there for the League cup games.

On 29/05/2022 at 14:53, an86 said:

The away days are going to be outrageous. Even the weakest ones would qualify as “awrite” in most other seasons. It’s a shame out stadium is taking longer to complete than La Sagrada Familia, but we are where we are.

Still all feels a bit alternate reality, like when Football Manager goes a bit mental a few seasons in, but in a good way. I’m hopeful that we can make a decent fist of this.

Booooooooo!!!

Was looking forward to getting the McGill's No9 etc and a few beers in Shawlands.

All my boosting of Dougie getting us to Hampden twice is up shit creek.

Away attendance will take a hit me thinks, what's the updated completion date and can you change your home ground mid season?  

1 hour ago, IR1970 said:

I heard from someone involved with syngenta that Queens Park were only playing there for the League cup games.

I'm clinging to that hope and praying for either Hampden or Scotstoun until Christmas. Scotstoun has a hybrid pitch which would be a good fit for the return (?) to Lesser Hampden. I think it's a vain hope though.

I'm clinging to that hope and praying for either Hampden or Scotstoun until Christmas. Scotstoun has a hybrid pitch which would be a good fit for the return (?) to Lesser Hampden. I think it's a vain hope though.

It’s an artificial pitch at scotstoun. They moved all the infield athletics events to the pitches behind because of this. Also see the horrific carpet burn a Munster player got on his face after scoring a try a couple of seasons ago because of the surface.

39 minutes ago, Northsea80 said:

It’s an artificial pitch at scotstoun. They moved all the infield athletics events to the pitches behind because of this. Also see the horrific carpet burn a Munster player got on his face after scoring a try a couple of seasons ago because of the surface.

I stand corrected - Scotstoun has an artificial surface similar to Falkirk and Hamilton. It's Murrayfield that has the hybrid pitch.

21 hours ago, Spidersmad said:

Scotstoun would have been a good choice.

Were there other affordable options available, e.g. St Mirren Park?

2 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Scotstoun would have been a good choice.

Were there other affordable options available, e.g. St Mirren Park?

Not a case of affordability. Anyone with a grass park will see what happened to Firhill last season and won’t fancy it. That leaves synthetic pitches, which mostly already have more than one team using them.

A difficult situation, but it doesn’t excuse the club in any way for the bumbling arse we’ve made of the stadium project from the beginning. It’s actually impressive that we don’t have a single seat nailed down after two years. Doubt many other clubs could have managed it. 

16 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Any info. on Stuart Morrison? Just signed but doesn't appear to have played much for yourselves.

I like him, he's a solid centre half with pace who will do a decent job if he stays fit. Unfortunately he got injured 3 times in the first 5 minutes of matches last season so I don't know how realistic that is.

33 minutes ago, an86 said:

Not a case of affordability. Anyone with a grass park will see what happened to Firhill last season and won’t fancy it. That leaves synthetic pitches, which mostly already have more than one team using them.

A difficult situation, but it doesn’t excuse the club in any way for the bumbling arse we’ve made of the stadium project from the beginning. It’s actually impressive that we don’t have a single seat nailed down after two years. Doubt many other clubs could have managed it. 

Or pitch should have been better even with two clubs playing on it. It reminded me of the days when Glasgow Warriors played on it. 

Broadwood and Airdrie would have been closer than Ochilview.

Our inept board could easily have managed to make an arse of it.

23 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Any info. on Stuart Morrison? Just signed but doesn't appear to have played much for yourselves.

Really liked him but was never fit. He’s quick, strong and defensively sound and I personally think if weren’t for his injuries, he’d of been a fixture in the side. Formed a great partnership with Charlie Fox at the beginning of the season until his eventual injuries. 

If you get a full season out of him then great signing but that’s a big if. He broke down 3-4 times in the first 10 minutes of games across the season 

Edited by qpfc

28 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Or pitch should have been better even with two clubs playing on it. It reminded me of the days when Glasgow Warriors played on it. 

Broadwood and Airdrie would have been closer than Ochilview.

Our inept board could easily have managed to make an arse of it.

Think we’ve gone with Stenny over Cumbernauld because of the new hybrid pitch. Someone more in tune with the criteria might be able to shed light on this, but would it being the same type of surface possibly facilitate a quicker move back to Lesser? I know we had to play each side an equal number of times on each surface when we did half a season at Airdrie and half at Hampden in 14/15.

I’d still take Larbert over Cumbernauld even if this isn’t the case. Only fifteen minutes further away, but at least has a social club and pub nearby. Having a place for fans to congregate together is important. Football is so much more than the 3pm-5pm on a Saturday. Hopefully the social club can be up and running asap when we get back. A club’s home is its heartbeat and we desperately need it back.