The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

1 minute ago, TheHitman said:

My wish list for the new week. 

1) Announcement on where we will be playing for the season, in advance of any ST talk. 
2) Announcement of new Manager, or even just an update as to when it might happen. 
3) A signing, any signing. 

I’ll take 1 of 3 by Friday. 

Me too.

I wouldn't be too bothered about signings yet though. These will be made right up until we start up and beyond. I think Dundee had all but three players at the end of their contracts and they have to find a better standard of player than us.  I'd rather we recruited well rather than recruited early, just to fill the jerseys.

I cannot imagine many - if any - signing announcements until all Play-off games are completed.  And even then, there will be plenty of players on holiday. 

As for next season - consolidation is key - after all the excitement of the last 12 months or so, a mid-table Raith Rovers style finish would be good for my heart!   

1 hour ago, williebraveheart said:

I think next season will be exceptionally tough. Coyle's departure, if it was due to budget and philosophy of developing youngsters, suggests to me that the club has decided that they don't care where we play as long as it is not 4th tier. Not sure this will fit the average fan's philosophy following on from this season. It is so hard to find a blend of experienced players at the same time as bringing on youth. No club to my mind in Scotland has achieved that so far, Celtic and Rangers are prime examples, and I have a feeling that we are spending thousands on an "academy" that will bring on young talent that we are unlikely to see at first team level. None of the youngsters we have seen this season are Championship level yet or maybe never. Talented they may be but this is a tough league and I am not sure we will give much priority to staying in it. Hope to be proved very wrong.

I don’t the see club being as naive with the recruitment to suggest that they will solely focus on the youth for next season. That may be the aim long term but over the next 3-4 years, we certainly need to recruit out with the academy to be somewhat competitive in the championship. The pressure is to make sure that the core group of first team players signed are of adequate quality.

Youth players will be supplemented and I imagine the likes of cammy Bruce, Lennon Connelly and callan McKenna will be the ones pushing for the first team squad. Connelly was named as a first team player retained for next season in the end of season update and scored in the Scotland under 17’s euros a couple weeks back. Excited to see what he can do 

Beuker is big on youth development but only if they’re good enough. He won’t play players who aren’t ready 

Edited by qpfc

Certainly no point in playing too many kids in a "sink or swim" policy. Too many physical teams in the division for one thing. Given that we weren't particularly physical last year and certainly lost out to those that were, I would see the signing of a couple of "handy" characters as essential.

16 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

, I would see the signing of a couple of "handy" characters as essential.

There will be a few characters being released this week by several Premier clubs, along with some promising fringe players that didn't quite make it this season.  That may be the pond in which we should be fishing this close season. 

8 hours ago, TheHitman said:

My wish list for the new week. 

1) Announcement on where we will be playing for the season, in advance of any ST talk. 
2) Announcement of new Manager, or even just an update as to when it might happen. 
3) A signing, any signing. 

I’ll take 1 of 3 by Friday. 

I’d say 2&3 are dependant on the outcome of 1. It’s not an encouraging sign for a candidate to be told at interview that we’re still unsure about where home games will be played. For me now, the construction excuses are exhausted; there’s another reason the delay continues. And of course, Coyle may have mentioned one or two disconnects behind the scenes to some of his old pals, who have other old pals.

And 2 should be in place before 3, but with hindsight most of last year’s signings were under way before Coyle arrived.

Whilst Coyle gushed frequently about “being part of this exciting new project” he left after a year or so, despite being one of our most successful managers. Whether he talks or not, other candidates would have to be very considerate of what is going on at our club. Since switching to professional, we’ve tried experienced first team managers and got promoted twice with them, only for them to leave promptly without a new job to go too. We’ve also had a spell with an inexperienced manager who bought into the long-term plan, but that failed early. Not a stable situation for a well-seasoned manager looking for 3-5 years of work.

Whoever comes in is going to have to be singing from the Beuker hymn sheet word for word. Anything else is almost certain to end the same way. We need stability on and off the park. A couple of years of relative sanity would do everyone the world of good. 

10 hours ago, an86 said:

Whoever comes in is going to have to be singing from the Beuker hymn sheet word for word. Anything else is almost certain to end the same way. We need stability on and off the park. A couple of years of relative sanity would do everyone the world of good. 

It does feel rather like we're fast becoming the northern Watford in that whomever comes in as manager does so in the knowledge that their position is solely dependent upon following the QP/MB way and style and working with MB players.  I have a feeling that the very frequent managerial musical chairs won't end with our next appointment

• Dave changed the title to The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

Thought I might as well just change the title of this thread, seeing as we've had 200+ pages of laughter, tears and questions about where we're playing our next game already.

Speaking of, Broomhill have just announced this afternoon that they're moving out of Broadwood... 😬

2 hours ago, Dave said:

Thought I might as well just change the title of this thread, seeing as we've had 200+ pages of laughter, tears and questions about where we're playing our next game already.

Speaking of, Broomhill have just announced this afternoon that they're moving out of Broadwood... 😬

It wouldn't be the worst ground to use. Decent capacity and not too far especially if we have free buses.

11 minutes ago, CathcartSkins said:

The very fact we feel this is a very real possibility should be a concern to all. 

Correct. The thought of trailing out there for home games has me contemplating ending it all.

Not sure where this has come from though. I can't see us operating from anywhere further than 200 yards away from the Lassani next season.

35 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Correct. The thought of trailing out there for home games has me contemplating ending it all.

Not sure where this has come from though. I can't see us operating from anywhere further than 200 yards away from the Lassani next season.

It’s coming from the fact that the League Cup starts in 46 days and we have heard nothing new regarding Lesser Hampden for months and as far as I know, two test events are required before it can be officially licensed etc.

Throw in the fact there is a concert at big Hampden in late July then is it any wonder people are assuming yet another season will start with us playing a long way from the south side?