The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

30 minutes ago, bridgeofweirdo said:

Optimism I think...

I went past Lesser a few times over the weekend. The main entrance area still looks like there's a fair bit to do.

I'd be very surprised if that was all finished, plus 2 test games played in time for the Hamilton game.

1 hour ago, Kevin Finnerty said:

Oh, really? This is what I see under "Ground" on the page for the Hamilton game (for previous games the map shows Ochilview Park).

https://queensparkfc.co.uk/event/queens-park-v-hamilton-academical-2/

40434678-2DEC-4919-812B-81F8209696D0.jpeg

The SPFL Championship page still has us playing at Firhill 😂

You have to understand; there’s a Leann World and then there’s our world. Although I do think playing at Lesser this season would be important for other reasons other than winning the league.

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

1 hour ago, Kevin Finnerty said:

Oh, really? This is what I see under "Ground" on the page for the Hamilton game (for previous games the map shows Ochilview Park).

Not having a go at you mate…the Matches page has been showing this all season.

image.thumb.png.8cc5b95c865b0d968694e2fee12bc712.png

^ Yeah no worries, I'd just seen there'd been some talk about playing at LH before the end of the season and thought those listings on the site might reflect that intention. Haven't really been keeping that up to date with how the development is progressing tbf.

Edited by Kevin Finnerty

6 hours ago, Kevin Finnerty said:

That arrow is in the car park. 

A bit of a slope and floodlights in the middle of the pitch instead of the traditional side, but they will add a bit of jeopardy to cross field passes.

Although we could probably fit more spectators on the grassy bank than inside Lesser.

On 26/03/2023 at 17:29, G_&_T said:

As a neutral I have to say that if would be ABSOLUTELY ridiculous if Queen's Park played at Lesser in the Premiership, when their historic home is available literally next door. Somebody's already mentioned the safety aspect, and it's pretty obvious folk will endeavour to observe the game if there's an opportunity to do so. But irrespective of that, why needlessly lock out thousands of fans?

From a historical point of view, which stadium has hosted more Queen's Park games? That's a rhetorical question, btw. 

I can see the argument that Queen's Park should be made to play all their games at one stadium, and not switch to Lesser when hosting Ross County, but that's another issue.  

Yeah this basically. If QP get promoted I'd be shocked if they are NOT playing at the big Hampden. They certainly won't be playing at Lesser Hampden. It's simply not big enough even outwith the OF games.

I don't see a problem with it to be honest. The only thing would be as you say, in the interests of equity, they need to play ALL their games there if they play any. Can't be playing the odd game at Lesser Hampden except in emergency circumstances (Hampden in use for something else, concert or Scotland international, or cup semi finals or whatever).

I've no idea if the SFA and SPFL talk to each other, but back in the day, the SFA didn't talk to the SFL. That led to Queen's having home league fixtures a few days before internationals and semi finals in the draft fixture list. Queen's then had to trot along to the SFL to ask for venues to be reversed so that the turf wasn't risked unnecessarily before big games.  If the SFA and SPFL are grown up about it and Queen's do end up at Hampden, QP home games could be scheduled so that there is less of a clash.

I want us to be at a single ground (ideally Lesser with around a 6000 capacity) but Lesser will never be up to holding Premiership games against all but the poorest-supported teams. If we go up, we will have to play the bigger games somewhere other than Lesser. Might as well play them all at Hampden.

1 hour ago, Hampden Diehard said:

I want us to be at a single ground (ideally Lesser with around a 6000 capacity) but Lesser will never be up to holding Premiership games against all but the poorest-supported teams. If we go up, we will have to play the bigger games somewhere other than Lesser. 

I mean, you don’t have to by any stretch of the imagination. If only QP had a purpose-built, recently completed stadium for such occasions! 

If it were upto me QP would be playing every game at Lesser next season. They built it, they can deal with it. But I’m clearly much harsher with stadium rules than the authorities seem to be. I think it’s absolutely ludicrous for example that the Hamilton game in December was shifted to Hampden for no good reason. But that’s just me  

The consensus is probably fair. All or no games at Hampden in the event of promotion. I don’t like that if you got relegated you’d happily switch back to Lesser though (and presumably back again if you went up again). It’s a more extreme version of clubs wanting to play Rangers at their nearest Premiership stadium, but happily playing Alloa on their home tattie field depending on how the cup draw works out. 

1 hour ago, Hampden Diehard said:

I've no idea if the SFA and SPFL talk to each other, but back in the day, the SFA didn't talk to the SFL. That led to Queen's having home league fixtures a few days before internationals and semi finals in the draft fixture list. Queen's then had to trot along to the SFL to ask for venues to be reversed so that the turf wasn't risked unnecessarily before big games.  If the SFA and SPFL are grown up about it and Queen's do end up at Hampden, QP home games could be scheduled so that there is less of a clash.

I want us to be at a single ground (ideally Lesser with around a 6000 capacity) but Lesser will never be up to holding Premiership games against all but the poorest-supported teams. If we go up, we will have to play the bigger games somewhere other than Lesser. Might as well play them all at Hampden.

I suspect this is all going to come down to basic financial arithmetic one day but as a QP fan the matchday experience will be much less imho. Even if regular supporters doubled it’s still a spit in the ocean. And I think the closeness of fans/players this season will be impossible to replicate in the big park. Actually, I know it won’t. And what do we do with Lesser?

1 hour ago, Paco said:

I mean, you don’t have to by any stretch of the imagination. If only QP had a purpose-built, recently completed stadium for such occasions! 

If it were upto me QP would be playing every game at Lesser next season. They built it, they can deal with it. But I’m clearly much harsher with stadium rules than the authorities seem to be. I think it’s absolutely ludicrous for example that the Hamilton game in December was shifted to Hampden for no good reason. But that’s just me  

The consensus is probably fair. All or no games at Hampden in the event of promotion. I don’t like that if you got relegated you’d happily switch back to Lesser though (and presumably back again if you went up again). It’s a more extreme version of clubs wanting to play Rangers at their nearest Premiership stadium, but happily playing Alloa on their home tattie field depending on how the cup draw works out. 

Spot on, can't be picking and choosing stadia depending on what league you are in.

Lesser Hampden is meant to be ready any week now. If they go up, they should  be playing there next season and the big teams will just need to accept they only get 500 aways tickets. Old firm fans will be used to that for away trips in Glasgow anyway.

Sense the powers that be will allow them to use Hampden though and they will make an absolute fortune from it.

Edited by madton

20 minutes ago, madton said:

Spot on, can't be picking and choosing stadia depending on what league you are in.

Lesser Hampden is meant to be ready any week now. If they go up, they should  be playing there next season and the big teams will just need to accept they only get 500 aways tickets. Old firm fans will be used to that for away trips in Glasgow anyway.

Sense the powers that be will allow them to use Hampden though and they will make an absolute fortune from it.

Aye this.  That is the size of ground they have went with, so if it is ready it is what they should use.  If we somehow go up, we will lose around 1/3 of our capacity with the North Terrace being re-developed.  Does that mean we can request Old Firm games to be played at Killie for example?

Confirmation from the club that the two remaining home games will be played at Ochilview:

https://queensparkfc.co.uk/update-on-remaining-home-fixtures/

We would like to advise Members, Season Ticket Holders and supporters that our two remaining scheduled home Championship fixtures this season will be played at Ochilview Stadium.

The game against Hamilton Academical will take place on Friday, April 14 with a 7.45pm kick off. The visit of Dundee (which is being broadcast live by BBC Scotland) being held on Friday, May 5 also with a 7.45pm kick-off.

Club President David Hunter said: “This decision has been taken now, as there remains a number of outstanding build requirements in the East Stand. This has delayed our planned test events and time has gone against us to receive the required certification to host these games. Our supporters have given us tremendous backing this season. We thank them for that support we apologise for the scheduling of another Friday night fixture.”

Further information will be issued in respect of ticketing arrangements in due course.

With the Hamilton game moving to Friday night as well.

After Raith this week, three Friday nights in a row (Thistle (A), Hamilton (H), Ayr (A)) all a day ahead of Dundee playing. Got to be some kind of psychological advantage to that, assuming we win those games of course...

As for the announcement itself, what else did we really expect. If they start now and get the rumoured temporary stands in place for next season, then fine. But it's yet another egg on the face of the club and the powers that be supposedly in charge of this. Three full years of no home games. 

59 minutes ago, Dave said:

With the Hamilton game moving to Friday night as well.

After Raith this week, three Friday nights in a row (Thistle (A), Hamilton (H), Ayr (A)) all a day ahead of Dundee playing. Got to be some kind of psychological advantage to that, assuming we win those games of course...

As for the announcement itself, what else did we really expect. If they start now and get the rumoured temporary stands in place for next season, then fine. But it's yet another egg on the face of the club and the powers that be supposedly in charge of this. Three full years of no home games. 

Puting aside the misinformation from our esteemed leader 🙄, moving any of this season's remaining league games just never made any sense to me.

22 minutes ago, an86 said:

Dempster is the biggest grifter in Scottish football. Not only terrible at her job, but wholly dishonest at the same time. 

I don't believe a single word that comes out of her mouth, and can't believe any of the staff who work for/with her believe her either.