The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

12 minutes ago, madton said:

You boys expecting Longridge to sign on? Dougie Imrie has spoken him up in the past, I wonder if we are speaking to him.

We do need wingers if we are to play Dougie's preferred 433.

I think Longridge will sign on again, but if he does I don’t think he’ll be a starter. He’s been a good player for the majority of his time but I wouldn’t be too disappointed if he left. Think we’ve got the best we’re gonnae get from him. 

30 minutes ago, CathcartSkins said:

Are we shunning the option of players on loan this season; or is the plan to use the Young Team instead of a loanee? Am certainly keen on that brave new world;  so long as supporters accept that young players make mistakes. 

The Beuker model suggests they will be allowed to develop, each at their own pace. It’s a helluva jump from Academy to Championship. Some will be ready quicker than others but it’ll be a cherry on the cake I think. I’d be very surprised if we don’t have loanees, especially as we have a training regime, including all the sports science, which would be attractive to larger clubs with supposedly better players. Although the Liverpool loanee would question that theory🤔 And with a grass pitch that’s a big attraction for top clubs from an injury-risk-management perspective. 

Season tickets! I’ve applied the science of using Google to check other clubs which is probably the same high-tech algorithm our club uses. All based on seated and centre stand positions i.e. most expensive. Some clubs still have terracing or stands behind goals to offer lower prices but we don’t so I’ve ignored those offers.

Most around 280-300 with Arbroath at 260. Highest was Dundee at 350 followed by Thistle at 310. Most interesting was ICT with a Loyalty offer for fans wishing to renew which was priced at 295 as a opposed to their Early Bird offer for any new newcomers at 311. Some, like Raith, included discounts at club shop, hospitality etc.

We’re the only club that hasn’t published prices yet. Tick tock. 

4 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Season tickets! I’ve applied the science of using Google to check other clubs which is probably the same high-tech algorithm our club uses. All based on seated and centre stand positions i.e. most expensive. Some clubs still have terracing or stands behind goals to offer lower prices but we don’t so I’ve ignored those offers.

Most around 280-300 with Arbroath at 260. Highest was Dundee at 350 followed by Thistle at 310. Most interesting was ICT with a Loyalty offer for fans wishing to renew which was priced at 295 as a opposed to their Early Bird offer for any new newcomers at 311. Some, like Raith, included discounts at club shop, hospitality etc.

We’re the only club that hasn’t published prices yet. Tick tock. 

Not sure it’s really fair to have ours as 260 when 5800 of our 6600 capacity is on the terracing 😂

240 for me. It’s basically 20 quid extra to reserve your own seat. My 240 quid season ticket will still let me sit in the stand 

Jai Quitongo has re-joined Morton. Very surprised, given how his career has gone over the last few years, that he has managed to get another gig at this level. I only saw him in one of the playoff games where he was fairly anonymous, does that about sum up his time with Queen's Park?

https://www.gmfc.net/jai-quitongo-joins-the-ton/

How was Jai for you boys generally? Does he still have the electric pace and power but technically limited?

We obv know what he was like as a young raw kid coming through but that was 4/5 years ago so be interested to know if he has changed since then.

If and its a big If, he can stay injury free, we need to hope Dougie can get the old Jai out of him.

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Season tickets! ... We’re the only club that hasn’t published prices yet. Tick tock. 

Selling season tickets for an unknown ground could be quite difficult. Ochilview is the home venue for League Cup ties but league games home venue is still listed as "home" on the club site. There will have to be an official announcement as to what our home ground will be before tickets go on sale next week. I hope. But you never know with QP these days.

Just now, madton said:

How was Jai for you boys generally? Does he still have the electric pace and power but technically limited?

We obv know what he was like as a young raw kid coming through but that was 4/5 years ago so be interested to know if he has changed since then.

If and its a big If, he can stay injury free, we need to hope Dougie can get the old Jai out of him.

He's a good player and I'd say your description of him is pretty accurate, but he simply won't stay fit - he couldn't in League 1 or 2, and the Championship is even more intense. 

I don't think anyone was surprised or disappointed when he didn't get offered a new deal. Thought he'd go part time, to be honest.

1 minute ago, madton said:

Jai was explosive in League 2. Took the piss out of a lot of defenders and looked great. He then got injured towards the end of that season. When he came back he still had the pace but he was very frustrating. Seemed to be unless the ball was played directly to him he wasn’t interested, and his final ball isn’t great.

Probably says a lot that when it was announced he had been released QP fans didn’t really bat an eye. We can do better than Quitongo. 

16 minutes ago, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

Jai Quitongo has re-joined Morton. Very surprised, given how his career has gone over the last few years, that he has managed to get another gig at this level. I only saw him in one of the playoff games where he was fairly anonymous, does that about sum up his time with Queen's Park?

Feels like his peak might have been when he was an exciting prospect at Morton. Showed some flashes, but was mostly injured. Seems to be a huge problem for him. One of those ones that requires a lot of “ifs” for it to work out.

For entertainment purposes, I really enjoyed watching Quitongo. Despite his injuries, he’s still very much rapid and powerful when running down the wing  but overall his actual output was poor and what’s been noted already, his horrendous injury history, particularly his knee. 

He was unfortunate that he barely had any opportunities to start prior to the playoffs to get himself fully match sharp after his long term injury and was ultimately thrown in to the first 11 once the play offs began. He was fairly anonymous unfortunately but I do feel as though as a full pre season will do him wonders and although he can be frustrating, he can still be an asset 

It’s now or never for Quitongo though, if he fails to keep fit or perform, he’ll be finished in full time football next summer 

3 hours ago, Gall09 said:

I think Longridge will sign on again, but if he does I don’t think he’ll be a starter. He’s been a good player for the majority of his time but I wouldn’t be too disappointed if he left. Think we’ve got the best we’re gonnae get from him. 

Longridge has apparently been helping out with some coaching at the accademy. Would make me think he's likely to re-sign but we'll find out soon enough.

4 hours ago, Spidersmad said:

Selling season tickets for an unknown ground could be quite difficult. Ochilview is the home venue for League Cup ties but league games home venue is still listed as "home" on the club site. There will have to be an official announcement as to what our home ground will be before tickets go on sale next week. I hope. But you never know with QP these days.

Fair point but yet again, better comms from the club could help that. Kind of suggests they don't know when Lesser will be available. 

When you think of the number of fronts we are fighting on with new growth initiatives it's little wonder there's so many loose ends. Never heard the Lochinch outcome as mentioned by the CEO. I have a real concern that Lesser will get abandoned at some point due to costs. There was a strong rumour about The Laird purchasing Cathkin where his Jimmy Johnstone academy plays. There's a direct connection between that and what's happening at Lesser. Thankfully the football side of things seems to be going in the right direction.

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

I’m not sure if Leeann Dempster realised how many of our fans lived locally and had functioning sets of eyes when, as late as last month, she insisted there was a chance we’d be back home by July. I want to believe that she believed it, but I’m having some difficulty with that one. Simon Murray lighting up the playoffs has taken a massive amount of heat off her.

I know folk at the club read things on here. Wouldn’t dream of speaking for anyone else in the support but, as a punter, please do not make the next proclamation on the stadium absolute bullshit. If it’s going to be next year or even next season, just serve us the horrific tasting medicine. No point in anyone stringing anyone along.

48AC0431-C9F2-475B-B36C-C6844964A133.thumb.jpeg.2492c58d06809556f0cea56898f31ad8.jpeg 

35 minutes ago, an86 said:

I’m not sure if Leeann Dempster realised how many of our fans lived locally and had functioning sets of eyes when, as late as last month, she insisted there was a chance we’d be back home by July. I want to believe that she believed it, but I’m having some difficulty with that one. Simon Murray lighting up the playoffs has taken a massive amount of heat off her.

I know folk at the club read things on here. Wouldn’t dream of speaking for anyone else in the support but, as a punter, please do not make the next proclamation on the stadium absolute bullshit. If it’s going to be next year or even next season, just serve us the horrific tasting medicine. No point in anyone stringing anyone along.

48AC0431-C9F2-475B-B36C-C6844964A133.thumb.jpeg.2492c58d06809556f0cea56898f31ad8.jpeg 

Apart from not looking anywhere near ready, I'm struggling to see how that stand will hold anything close to 1,000 punters.

Edited by Arachnophile

I took a walk round Lesser Hampden and Cathkin this afternoon. Some desultory work going on to extend the East Stand southwards. A new boundary wall being built in the side street just south of the church. The site of the Directors stand cleared but nothing going up. I confidently predict that the ground will be ready by summer 2023. Given the breaks. Maybe.

This may be the worst managed construction project in recent Scottish football history. A shame because as BYOS has pointed out the club has made great progress on other fronts. However the mess that is Lesser Hampden is greatly hindering the overall progress of the club. I'd love to know how we got into this mess.

14 minutes ago, Spidersmad said:

This may be the worst managed construction project in recent Scottish football history. A shame because as BYOS has pointed out the club has made great progress on other fronts. However the mess that is Lesser Hampden is greatly hindering the overall progress of the club. I'd love to know how we got into this mess.

Leeann Dempster inherited the problem. Actually don’t blame her for any of the actual disaster itself. I’d simply rather she called a shit sandwich a shit sandwich, rather than get the hopes of the fans up. Every single person I’ve spoken to was, to be kind, highly sceptical of the July date. 

Your stadium and surrounds are the heartbeat and essence of a football club. Without it, regardless of success, it feels a bit soulless. We need a focal point for the club. The social club and the stadium are what that should have been by now.

10 hours ago, CathcartSkins said:

Are we shunning the option of players on loan this season; or is the plan to use the Young Team instead of a loanee? Am certainly keen on that brave new world;  so long as supporters accept that young players make mistakes. 

I’m fine with loan signings to solely supplement the squad, instead of last years shambles of basically fielding half a team of loans. It’s hard to get a real bond with the players when they’re contracted to multiple different clubs. Every club uses the loan system and I think we’ll be no different. 2 or 3 loans a season is fine with me. Would still happily take Connor smith back on loan again if the option arises during the summer