The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

8 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Under current processes, it certainly is and there's no excuse for a club not doing their due diligence.

That's not to say the current process couldn't do with some modernisation with automated checking and flagging.

Think Lee Johnson called that out when Hibs fielded the ineligible Rocky Bushiri.  While accepting the club's fault it was also pointed out that in England, the Referee Extranet system automatically flags player issues whereas in Scotland it's still 'check the list or contact us' which seems a bit dated.

OK, that was around a suspension but the same could be applied to registration eligibility.

Part of the difference is that with a suspension, the errors usually occur because of rules like 14 days after X or after X yellows, or with a change in league/level. This was nothing more complicated than “Was Player A signed for your Club on Date B?”

14 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Part of the difference is that with a suspension, the errors usually occur because of rules like 14 days after X or after X yellows, or with a change in league/level. This was nothing more complicated than “Was Player A signed for your Club on Date B?”

Aye, it's incredibly schoolboy. Still, modern system could prevent it.

25 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Under current processes, it certainly is and there's no excuse for a club not doing their due diligence.

That's not to say the current process couldn't do with some modernisation with automated checking and flagging.

Think Lee Johnson called that out when Hibs fielded the ineligible Rocky Bushiri.  While accepting the club's fault it was also pointed out that in England, the Referee Extranet system automatically flags player issues whereas in Scotland it's still 'check the list or contact us' which seems a bit dated.

OK, that was around a suspension but the same could be applied to registration eligibility.

I agree completely around suspensions. I think it's ridiculous there isn't an automated system to send out email notifications when a player picks up a suspension.

I'm not really sure what you're expecting here though in terms of "registration eligibility"? Are you suggesting when the SFA register a player they should also be going through your fixture list and sending a reminder if they are not eligible for an outstanding cup tie. I just don't see that as being practical. There's a tendency to assume the SFA are dealing with 50 or 60 clubs in 2 or 3 leagues but they are dealing with hundreds of clubs and dozens of leagues and cup competitions. It's not the Registrations Dept's job to check player eligibility. It can't be, they'd never have time to do it and lots of the clubs involved have no online presence to check fixtures, etc.

Before each round of the Scottish Cup the SFA send out an email to competitors with all the info they need for ties. This includes a copy of the rules. They do tend to highlight on the emails things like "No Trialists may participate". I suppose they could remind that nobody may play if signed after scheduled tie date but you're not going to get any sort of automated checking of player eligibility if it's not around suspension.

1 hour ago, an86 said:

What’s the betting on Coyle being used as a human shield because he’s popular? Send him out to apologise, thinking it’ll suffice. I genuinely think we’d be tone deaf enough to do that. 

I had thought the same. He may feel its his responsibility of course. However (and even then imo) someone more senior should be taking responsibility publicly. 

5 minutes ago, mcjameos said:

I had thought the same. He may feel its his responsibility of course. However (and even then imo) someone more senior should be taking responsibility publicly. 

The admin side of things isn’t the job of the First Team Coach. Coyle, his staff, and the players did their job on Tuesday night and did it very well. 

2 hours ago, mcjameos said:

I remember going to lesser in the early 80s but dont recall anything resembling stands only grassy slopes - but that could be my memory playing tricks. Mind you 12000 people would soon have made it resemble the photos posted above ☺️

I remember these days too - there was poor concrete terracing opposite the stand.  The stand (outside the farmhouse) had bench seats and not all under cover. The north end had the remains of old terracing in the north west corner. This was similar ro Hampden's old 'wood and ash' stepped terracing. Behind the goal at the south end was just a knoll (not a grassy one though).  Still, I enjoyed the games there.

Edited by GM1867
Update

30 minutes ago, an86 said:

The admin side of things isn’t the job of the First Team Coach. Coyle, his staff, and the players did their job on Tuesday night and did it very well. 

Absolutely agree. Maybe LD will step forward. 

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I agree completely around suspensions. I think it's ridiculous there isn't an automated system to send out email notifications when a player picks up a suspension.

I'm not really sure what you're expecting here though in terms of "registration eligibility"? Are you suggesting when the SFA register a player they should also be going through your fixture list and sending a reminder if they are not eligible for an outstanding cup tie. I just don't see that as being practical. There's a tendency to assume the SFA are dealing with 50 or 60 clubs in 2 or 3 leagues but they are dealing with hundreds of clubs and dozens of leagues and cup competitions. It's not the Registrations Dept's job to check player eligibility. It can't be, they'd never have time to do it and lots of the clubs involved have no online presence to check fixtures, etc.

Before each round of the Scottish Cup the SFA send out an email to competitors with all the info they need for ties. This includes a copy of the rules. They do tend to highlight on the emails things like "No Trialists may participate". I suppose they could remind that nobody may play if signed after scheduled tie date but you're not going to get any sort of automated checking of player eligibility if it's not around suspension.

No, everything in your interpretation there was still manual process - sending emails, registration department doing the checks etc.

I'm talking about databases doing them automatically.

4 hours ago, mcjameos said:

I remember going to lesser in the early 80s but dont recall anything resembling stands only grassy slopes - but that could be my memory playing tricks. Mind you 12000 people would soon have made it resemble the photos posted above ☺️

I remember being at lesser hampden in the early 70s at a Rovers game.There was a long shelter along the top of the banking running along the side of the pitch on the far side of hampden. It also had a sort of primitive bench in it as well.

2 hours ago, mcjameos said:

Defo not him. The club secretary is responsible for matchday organisation. That position should be part of the CEO's remit but the incumbent volunteer is also a director. The sooner this old club/new club routine is washed through the better. Although someone more cynical than me might think it suits them all when playing hide and seek.

9 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

. If you could bring in players for a rearranged game, then there could be an incentive to be unscrupulous and have a tie postponed (or just not try very hard to get it on!) so any new signings could play.

Hence my point that QP didn’t postpone the game, it was the opponents pitch. The rule could consider that. 

Listen, I ain’t defending QP, I’m feckin ragin. I just find it frustrating. 

It's particularly disappointing as we played so well in the second half. The BBC stats highlight that.

I've still not got over Murray leaving; or at least leaving when we are (still) in such a great position in the league. But if the guy gets a terrific offer and wants to leave, he must go. Move on; a player who's eyeing his next move for the next three months is no use to anyone.

Someone said that he hasn't been that effective in the bigger games. Maybe a bit of truth in that, but I'll miss him. A great entertainer and you can't have too many gingers in your team.

As for the Cup crap, if you have to scramble to find something, anything, to take the edge off it, we're potentially losing out on a trip to Livi. Not the plum tie anyone was wanting.

Let's get Ayr pumped and focus on the league.

Edited by Hampden Diehard

15 hours ago, an86 said:

What’s the betting on Coyle being used as a human shield because he’s popular? Send him out to apologise, thinking it’ll suffice. I genuinely think we’d be tone deaf enough to do that. 

Managers tend to be the voice of clubs nowadays so, if there's any apologising to be done, I don't doubt he'll do it as he's the guy at the other end of the mic.  Obviously it's not his fault, it's an admin thing that he doesn't deal with, but modern ways dictate that organisations tend to adopt a collective responsibility.

1 hour ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Managers tend to be the voice of clubs nowadays so, if there's any apologising to be done, I don't doubt he'll do it as he's the guy at the other end of the mic.  Obviously it's not his fault, it's an admin thing that he doesn't deal with, but modern ways dictate that organisations tend to adopt a collective responsibility.

It won’t be acceptable, should the likely outcome unfold. We need our “leadership” to come out of hiding. 

17 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

From a technical perspective, if there were an automated system to check player suspensions, it should in theory be possible to extend it to other types of eligibility.

One way would be for every fixture to be assigned its competition (Scottish Cup, SPFL League, SPFL League Cup, Lowland League...etc.), with each competition having associated player eligibility rules. The system would then either proactively highlight ineligible players for a club's next fixture, or do so reactively in response to a query (either an individual player, or submitting the proposed team line).

The question, as ever, is whether it's worth it. Given that issues around player eligibility seem to be relatively rare (in the professional leagues anyway), it's probably not worth the expense.

Although, with my work hat on, it does feel like the sort of thing a Computer Science student could produce - at least in prototype/proof-of-concept form - as a final year project.