The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

54 minutes ago, Stuntiethumper said:

Worth bearing in mind that whilst QP fans are keen to get back to the southside I don't think many of us would relish moving back to "big" Hampden on a permanent basis. It is way too big for us, even with a massive OF attendance.  The trek up to Stenny can be a pain at times (if I miss that slip from for the M898 one more time on dark and wet night I swear I'll do one!) but we all enjoy the much improved atmosphere of being in a smaller ground that "fits" our current fanbase. 

On swapping grounds I take your point on fairness to other clubs although shifting venues does happen in other sports and in football in other countries (e.g. Australia).  If we did get access to Hampden I suspect it would probably need to be on a temporary basis whilst we put up North & South stands at Lesser  Although it would be great cash cow if we could host the OF at Hampden...

I had a season ticket in our first season in the SPL when we played our home games at Pittodrie for half a season so I fully understand what a complete and utter pain that is.

The only issue I have is you shouldn’t be able to play at Hampden just to make possibly over £2.5 mill in ticket sales out of the OF. When the ground you have spent millions of pounds redeveloping is sat ready and empty right next door. And that is the only reason Hampden is being talked about, nothing to do with it being Queens Parks original home, as if that was the case they would be playing there this season and last season instead of being at Stenny/Falkirk.

8 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

I had a season ticket in our first season in the SPL when we played our home games at Pittodrie for half a season so I fully understand what a complete and utter pain that is.

The only issue I have is you shouldn’t be able to play at Hampden just to make possibly over £2.5 mill in ticket sales out of the OF. When the ground you have spent millions of pounds redeveloping is sat ready and empty right next door. And that is the only reason Hampden is being talked about, nothing to do with it being Queens Parks original home, as if that was the case they would be playing there this season and last season instead of being at Stenny/Falkirk.

I suspect the emerging narrative about a Hampden "campus" is cover for such an eventuality. We will see. 

It just comes back to fairness for me.  Imagine the scenario, Queens are fighting for third place and a precious European spot, while Motherwell and Livi are matching you every step of the way.  On the run in, you start to falter because of nerves, and in front of a Lesser Hampden crowd, Livi take a big win.  Because of this, Queens decide to switch the game to full Hampden, advertise it as a crucial game, and drop the ticket prices to a quid.  40,000 people roar you on to a win over a Motherwell team spooked by the surprise switch.  Switching venues on a whim like that just seems wrong.  

34 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

The only issue I have is you shouldn’t be able to play at Hampden just to make possibly over £2.5 mill in ticket sales out of the OF. 

I can understand people might be unhappy with it as it would result in us generating cash and enable us to be a better team but  "shouldn't be able to" - why?

26 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

It just comes back to fairness for me.  Imagine the scenario, Queens are fighting for third place and a precious European spot, while Motherwell and Livi are matching you every step of the way.  On the run in, you start to falter because of nerves, and in front of a Lesser Hampden crowd, Livi take a big win.  Because of this, Queens decide to switch the game to full Hampden, advertise it as a crucial game, and drop the ticket prices to a quid.  40,000 people roar you on to a win over a Motherwell team spooked by the surprise switch.  Switching venues on a whim like that just seems wrong.  

That does sound unfair, but I'm not sure it's worth anyone's time or energy getting upset about completely far-fetched, made up scenarios.

27 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Queen's Park fighting for 3rd in the league with 40,000 home fans.

You've become so ridiculously rattled by us in the last few weeks you never even stopped to read your post back to yourself before pressing enter. 

Just now, Dave said:

Queen's Park fighting for 3rd in the league with 40,000 home fans.

You've become so ridiculously rattled by us in the last few weeks you never even stopped to read your post back to yourself before pressing enter. 

I actually don't mind Queens Park as a club, I've got no feelings about yous either way.  Its the whole stadium nonsense that annoys me.  I was outlining a hypothetical exaggerated scenario to demonstrate how just switching stadiums on a whim could be perceived as unfair.  

38 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I actually don't mind Queens Park as a club, I've got no feelings about yous either way.  Its the whole stadium nonsense that annoys me.  I was outlining a hypothetical exaggerated scenario to demonstrate how just switching stadiums on a whim could be perceived as unfair.  

Think you'll find the stadium annoys QP fans too. Dont think anyone is suggesting we be able to switch stadiums on a whim (as that would be unfair) Whatever happens should be for a full season. Lesser is not going to be ready for next season irrespective of which league we are in. For me Hampden would be better than Ochilview (which is too far away). 

3 minutes ago, mcjameos said:

Think you'll find the stadium annoys QP fans too. Dont think anyone is suggesting we be able to switch stadiums on a whim (as that would be unfair) Whatever happens should be for a full season. Lesser is not going to be ready for next season irrespective of which league we are in. For me Hampden would be better than Ochilview (which is too far away). 

Wait, what?  I thought you were talking about playing crucial games in Lesser at the end of this season?

As a neutral I have to say that if would be ABSOLUTELY ridiculous if Queen's Park played at Lesser in the Premiership, when their historic home is available literally next door. Somebody's already mentioned the safety aspect, and it's pretty obvious folk will endeavour to observe the game if there's an opportunity to do so. But irrespective of that, why needlessly lock out thousands of fans?

From a historical point of view, which stadium has hosted more Queen's Park games? That's a rhetorical question, btw. 

I can see the argument that Queen's Park should be made to play all their games at one stadium, and not switch to Lesser when hosting Ross County, but that's another issue.  

6 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Wait, what?  I thought you were talking about playing crucial games in Lesser at the end of this season?

Jeez. I cant be held responsible for what Ms Dempster says. My response was to what has been said on here today about next season. 

Edited by mcjameos

I see absolutely no problem with Queens Park playing some or all of their games at Hampden if they go up.

There are two factors at play here - 1. The board have made a monumental balls up of the redevelopment and 2. Not even the most positive Queens fan would have predicted such a meteoric rise up the leagues. Because of that, they’ve been caught on the hop with a bunch of incompetents at the helm.

If this was in, say 5 seasons then it would have given them time to do a proper, fit for purpose redevelopment to a 5-6k stadium which would be adequate for most top flight games outwith “them” and maybe Aberdeen and Hearts on a good day.

As it is, throw up 2 temporary stands but they would be insane not to play some games at Hampden if it’s available and I for one welcome another team being able to attract big crowds, even if the vast majority are away fans. Is it an unfair advantage? Perhaps, but I would like to think that Arbroath would play big  home games at the 60k Friockheim bowl if and when we get to the Premiership.

The more money feeding into Scottish football the better, especially to teams other than the usual suspects.

Edited by Tattie36

As a neutral observer I'd not be too bothered about where Queens Park played if they won promotion. To be fair to other clubs, though, I'd expect any deal for Hampden or any other venue to be done at commercial rates. The SRU were looking for £600k for the hire of Murrayfield for 6 games, so even if it was only for OF games you'd be expecting it to be in the region of £100k per game. 

We're all still suffering a little bit of a hangover from Friday, but another trick missed by the clubs social media to make note that Saturday was one year since Owen Coyle was announced.

No matter what position we finish in at the end of this season, his first year cannot be called anything other than a success and it's been a joy to watch both his enthusiasm for QP and the football his team have put on show for us. 

We'll be discussing his first year in a bit more detail on this weeks podcast episode, which will be out tomorrow morning. 

On 26/03/2023 at 13:13, PB1994 said:

Because your home ground is Lesser Hampden. If that is ready and available you play your home games at that ground....

Personally, I’d be fucking raging if my club had spent £8 million, or whatever the figure is

Is Lesser Hampden our home ground? Not yet really. When was the last time we played a competitive fixture there?

We've played 2 at 'big' Hampden this season, and quite a few more than that over the last 120 years.

Also I don't know where the press get their figures from. The Lesser upgrade is costing £2.5m, which is the money we got upfront from the sale of Hampden.

Putting aside all the obvious issues with the project (and the £800K arbitration fee which was paid on our behalf), if we had £6-8m to spend on it as the press keep suggesting, I'm sure we'd be putting in more than 1500 seats, and the suggestion of playing at Hampden wouldn't even be considered.

23 hours ago, PB1994 said:

I totally get the history of QP and Hampden but if then why haven’t the been playing there ever since it was sold to the SFA?

Because the SFA wouldn't be interested in the hassle and small rental amount we would justify in the Championship.

However, IF we are in the Premiership, we would be in a far better position to pay them enough rent to put up with that hassle.

For the record, like others have said, I would far rather we play at Lesser with a reasonable capacity than go back to Hampden (other than cup semis and finals of course 😉)

I also agree that we shouldn't be allowed to hop between grounds based on the opposition (or the size of their support) during a season. If we do play at Hampden it should be for a full season while we get Lesser up to a reasonable capacity (if we can afford that). It would of course have the added bonus of hopefully bringing in more revenue through the turnstiles though.

Edited by Ben Reilly