The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

1 hour ago, PB1994 said:

Yeah, it would have been good to get a proper answer on that.

Was Hamilton not played at Hampden because Ochilview wasn’t available?

I'd heard that one of the reasons we played the two games at Hampden in December was because the SFA wanted some games there to use as test events for VAR, prior to the League Cup semis in January.

Obviously VAR wasnt used in those games, but it was apparantly running in the background. Presumably they needed to make sure the technology all worked prior to the semis.

(VAR used at Scotland games is installed and run by UEFA, so the SFA now also have their own system in place this season)

Of course it's possible that this was just a rumour, but it would make sense if true. I dont remember seeing extra cameras etc at either game, but I don't know whether they would have been obvious anyway.

3 hours ago, Boris the Spider said:

I think the use of terms like "Hampden Hub" and "Hampden Complex" tell you what is the plan going forward. Lesser and Hampden both part of that hub .

What concerns me greatly about that is that we lose our second home as well to the SFA. And my justification for that is this. On Saturday, when asked by a club member regarding the prospects of playing at our old ground the response was that they were allowing the Scotland team to prep for the Cyprus match at Lesser as a goodwill gesture. 

So despite being arse-whacked over the stadium sale because of historic bad contract terms, despite being humped by the contractor due to a poorly defined contract, our 1903 committee still seem to think the best way to do business with the SFA is to smile and buy everyone a drink. 

The Cyprus agreement should be written, as should everything else that happens between QP and the SFA. Forevermore.

Scotland coach John Carver full of plaudits on Sky Sports today about the QP changing rooms and pitch. It's premier league standard and incredible he said. He went on to say the quality of surface at Oriam was a safety risk, which is a pretty big statement! That all sounds very good and the changing rooms and pitch are certainly top class!  So bravo and big cheers for that. 

It begs the question however, what is QP getting in return? I assumed, foolishly of course, that Scotland using our pitch would mean something in return.  We've got nothing, apart from asking for favours somewhere down the line. Scotland needed a pitch, for safety not just convenience, and QP had leverage. No deal, no contractual arrangement, no exchange between two parties, just uncertain favours and promises, during a time when we absolutely need assurances.

Professional footballers, experienced coaches, and premier pitch. Golf club committee men.  

As a potential away fan next season, I'd be happy to play you guys in either big hampden or lesser hampden. Both have pros and cons.

At the big one, it would mean more fans and given we seem to never get to see Saints play there unless a semi vs either one of the arse cheeks, even when we do get to finals 😔 it would be a change. The idea of a delayed trip to hampden is very appealing. 

However, the prospect of a totally full smaller stadium and the innevitable scramble for tickets, also makes it pretty appealing. 

What has been built so far, while stupidly under sized, looks great. Fire a couple of temp stands behind each goal to even get it to 4k and it would be perfect in the short term.

Rooting for you guys to come up, not just because it would mean Dundee fail, but Coyle is one of the games good guys and I'd imagine the vast majority of St Johnstone fans would wish him nothing but success. 

5 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

What concerns me greatly about that is that we lose our second home as well to the SFA. And my justification for that is this. On Saturday, when asked by a club member regarding the prospects of playing at our old ground the response was that they were allowing the Scotland team to prep for the Cyprus match at Lesser as a goodwill gesture. 

So despite being arse-whacked over the stadium sale because of historic bad contract terms, despite being humped by the contractor due to a poorly defined contract, our 1903 committee still seem to think the best way to do business with the SFA is to smile and buy everyone a drink. 

The Cyprus agreement should be written, as should everything else that happens between QP and the SFA. Forevermore.

We own Lesser and Haughey effectively owns 50% of "big" Hampden so you could argue we are in a strong position. Haughey didn't make his money being a soft touch. I reckon there is a plan afoot...

Edited by Stuntiethumper

I imagine in the event of promotion Hampden would be used for the full season. Some sort of deal cut for the use of lesser as a training base on the ‘Hampden Campus’ for the national team, plus a cut of gate receipts for attendances that exceed a specific number for the SFA coffers. 

the fixture list can be manipulated to allow Queens Park to be away from home in the weekends preceding national team games and cup semis/finals! To allow for pitch repairs prior to those fixtures. 

20 minutes ago, Northsea80 said:

I imagine in the event of promotion Hampden would be used for the full season. Some sort of deal cut for the use of lesser as a training base on the ‘Hampden Campus’ for the national team, plus a cut of gate receipts for attendances that exceed a specific number for the SFA coffers. 

the fixture list can be manipulated to allow Queens Park to be away from home in the weekends preceding national team games and cup semis/finals! To allow for pitch repairs prior to those fixtures. 

If that’s how it turns I’ll be deeply disappointed. The atmosphere and connection between fans has been better than I can ever remember. That's down to the size of stand and the density of the crowd. Even with a decent team that won’t happen in Hampden.

14 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

If that’s how it turns I’ll be deeply disappointed. The atmosphere and connection between fans has been better than I can ever remember. That's down to the size of stand and the density of the crowd. Even with a decent team that won’t happen in Hampden.

Agreed. I'm not sure what everyone thinks but I'd honestly rather a ground share (in a smaller ground) until we get Lesser right, than be at big Hampden. It's a completely soulless fan experience 

3 minutes ago, Spiders67 said:

Agreed. I'm not sure what everyone thinks but I'd honestly rather a ground share (in a smaller ground) until we get Lesser right, than be at big Hampden. It's a completely soulless fan experience 

I agree. I've actually really enjoyed the atmosphere at Stenny. I just wish it wasn't so far away.

The Upside would be that a few big gates against Celtic and Rangers, bigger than usual travelling supports from other sides because of the novelty factor, the money coming in would cover the money wasted on the original stadium plan. It would give a full year to complete the build of the remainder of lesser. Fingers crossed the following season Queens Park would start their second premier league campaign at Lesser, with an assault on the Europa League/conference among the first fixtures at the ground. 

Big result for Dundee tonight. Was really hoping any form of dropped points would occur but not to be. Half expected a Dundee win but now i’m incredibly nervous this is going to go to the last game, particularly after comparing both our remaining fixtures 

Cliche statement but guess it just needs to be the one game at a time approach 

Was waiting to see how tonight’s result turned out, Dundee had to win to reignite their charge. Feels important to note that whilst I cannot call which way this title goes, I have loved this season so far, and even if we end up 2nd, it’s been an immensely brilliant season.

Do I want us to win it? 100% of course I do. 

We’ve had some superb results on the road, going to places without much expectation and trouncing teams, especially the first visit to Firhill. I had an optimistic feeling we may be 4th or 5th heading into the final quarter of games, hoping for a tilt at the playoffs, but here we are, leading the pack as we near the end. I trust Owen and this team to give it their all and that starts on Friday at Abroath. 

Given that lesser and Hampden have the exact same pitch size and surface(hybrid) there is no reason why the games cannot be played at either stadia. There is surely financial gain for both qp and the sfa to use Hampden when required. That is of course assuming they get promotion.

Edited by Fife spider

12 hours ago, mcjameos said:

I tend to agree however it doesn't feel right for the reasons set out by others. I'm sure there will be rules to prevent this (for good reason) but how then did the Hamilton league game manage to get played at Hampden?

Teams have moved one-off games for a variety of reasons across the history of Scottish football. Hearts played a handful of league games at Murrayfield a few seasons ago during the construction work at Tynecastle, Gretna played Celtic at Almondvale because the pitch at Fir Park was becoming increasingly unplayable, ditto Brechin playing a couple of games at Station Park.

That's a totally different scenario to picking and choosing as you go along through the season. If Lesser is Premiership compliant then all the game should be played there. If it isn't, then they should either find a groundshare somewhere that it is suitable (eg Hampden for the full season) or be denied promotion.

12 hours ago, Stuntiethumper said:

We own Lesser and Haughey effectively owns 50% of "big" Hampden so you could argue we are in a strong position. Haughey didn't make his money being a soft touch. I reckon there is a plan afoot...

Not sure that he does own 50% of Hampden but a guy told me on Saturday that he actually owns Parkhead, which he bought when Celtic were a ba hair from going under. Given he was quite unceremoniously elbowed out by the new regime there, maybe the plan is to move us to Parkhead and rent Lesser out to Celtic.

9 hours ago, qpfc said:

Big result for Dundee tonight. Was really hoping any form of dropped points would occur but not to be. Half expected a Dundee win but now i’m incredibly nervous this is going to go to the last game, particularly after comparing both our remaining fixtures 

Cliche statement but guess it just needs to be the one game at a time approach 

Yup. We have an easier run in March, they have an easier run in April. It will definitely be squeaky bum time over the last three games.

A few weeks ago we looked at the 3 upcoming home games against Cove, Caley and Arbroath. Win those and we would be in a tremendous position (already top but you get my point). It’s been our record against teams in the bottom half of the table that has put and kept us top of the league. Win on Friday and it’ll be another indication of just how mentally tough this team are. For every defeat (occasionally pumping) against Dundee, Ayr or Morton we’ve bounced back with a win against Accies or Thistle or Raith.

🤞