The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

That's easy.  When we got promoted to division 1, many years back, we were ordered to make massive ground improvements.  No ifs, no buts, no seasons of grace, our ground needed to be sorted, or we wouldn't be getting promoted.  As a result, we fell to the bottom of league 2 and couldn't so much as pay a transfer fee. 

Some years later, Gretna swan up with an absolute hovel of a stadium and casually secure a waiver.   Now we have Queens, who are taking forever to build a lego box, and are the third priority at Ochilview, meaning that they have to just pick free days of the week to plau your games.  If you didnt have somewhere to play Saturday football, you shouldn't have been allowed up. 

8 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

That's easy.  When we got promoted to division 1, many years back, we were ordered to make massive ground improvements.  No ifs, no buts, no seasons of grace, our ground needed to be sorted, or we wouldn't be getting promoted.  As a result, we fell to the bottom of league 2 and couldn't so much as pay a transfer fee. 

Some years later, Gretna swan up with an absolute hovel of a stadium and casually secure a waiver.   Now we have Queens, who are taking forever to build a lego box, and are the third priority at Ochilview, meaning that they have to just pick free days of the week to plau your games.  If you didnt have somewhere to play Saturday football, you shouldn't have been allowed up. 

So because you were treated unfairly once, the solution is to treat everyone else unfairly forever?

Incidentally, if we were required to play our remaining home games at ochilview, it wouldn't greatly bother me.

Edited by Arachnophile

1 hour ago, Arachnophile said:

So because you were treated unfairly once, the solution is to treat everyone else unfairly forever?

Incidentally, if we were required to play our remaining home games at ochilview, it wouldn't greatly bother me.

What is "unfair" about requiring teams to have a ground where you don't need to just squeeze in a game wherever the 2 priority tenants are not already using it?  Its amateur hour stuff.  

1 hour ago, ExiledLichtie said:

What is "unfair" about requiring teams to have a ground where you don't need to just squeeze in a game wherever the 2 priority tenants are not already using it?  Its amateur hour stuff.  

To be fair, it's pretty clear from your previous posts in this thread and elsewhere that you hate us.

There's no reason anyone should care what you think.

19 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Sorry that Arbroath, Falkirk and ICT suffered and that it had repercussions for your club. But I don't think that is a good excuse to persist with what was, with hindsight, a daft set of rules.  

No one at QP is happy with the stadium situation, it is the one thing that is a big black mark on an otherwise excellent report card.  Lesser is going to need further work to make it fit for the future. If we get promoted (and it is a big if), it would not surprise me if we end up leasing "big Hampden" again for the 23/24 season.  Not ideal as even with a crowd for 5-10,000 it has the atmosphere of a Wetherspoons but at least we would be back in the Southside and can really to try build up the fanbase again. 

Edited by Stuntiethumper

Queens Park should be able to play at Lesser Hampden as soon as it is ready, if they wish to play there this season. No issues with that at all.

The one thing I don’t agree with, I realise it’s all if, buts and maybes just now, is if they want to be able to play their games between Lesser Hampden and Hampden next season in the premiership based on the size of the away crowd that could be attending. This seems to have been mentioned a few times. You either play at Lesser for every game or you don’t play there at all, unless there is a valid reason why Lesser Hampden can’t be used. Size of crowd isn’t a proper reason for me.

20 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

Queens Park should be able to play at Lesser Hampden as soon as it is ready, if they wish to play there this season. No issues with that at all.

The one thing I don’t agree with, I realise it’s all if, buts and maybes just now, is if they want to be able to play their games between Lesser Hampden and Hampden next season in the premiership based on the size of the away crowd that could be attending. This seems to have been mentioned a few times. You either play at Lesser for every game or you don’t play there at all, unless there is a valid reason why Lesser Hampden can’t be used. Size of crowd isn’t a proper reason for me.

Would they be allowed to pick and choose which games they play where?  I know in cup games it's not uncommon, but for a whole league campaign?  

We almost certainly won't be allowed to "pick and choose" where we play next season. When has any club been allowed to do that, and why do people now suddenly think we will be given that choice?

I agree 100% with @PB1994 above in that for next season we announce where we're playing and that's it for the year. And regardless of what league we're in, unfortunately I think I actually would choose Hampden if that was an option. Even if we're in the championship 1000 seats at Lesser is unacceptable, and despite the recent talk of "temporary stands" it's not going to be completed in time for next season. QP once again being reactive rather than proactive, it's not like we've been saying for years now the plans at Lesser are not good enough.

24 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Would they be allowed to pick and choose which games they play where?  I know in cup games it's not uncommon, but for a whole league campaign?  

2 minutes ago, Dave said:

We almost certainly won't be allowed to "pick and choose" where we play next season. When has any club been allowed to do that, and why do people now suddenly think we will be given that choice?

I agree 100% with @PB1994 above in that for next season we announce where we're playing and that's it for the year. And regardless of what league we're in, unfortunately I think I actually would choose Hampden if that was an option. Even if we're in the championship 1000 seats at Lesser is unacceptable, and despite the recent talk of "temporary stands" it's not going to be completed in time for next season. QP once again being reactive rather than proactive, it's not like we've been saying for years now the plans at Lesser are not good enough.

I don’t think it would be allowed.

I only brought it up as didn’t the BBC ask that question to Leanne Dempster at half time during the QP v Ayr game and the reply was something along the lines of its certainly an option?

4 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

I don’t think it would be allowed.

I only brought it up as didn’t the BBC ask that question to Leanne Dempster at half time during the QP v Ayr game and the reply was something along the lines of its certainly an option?

It would have been interesting to hear her response if the interviewer had (properly) challenged her on that

6 minutes ago, Boris the Spider said:

I think the use of terms like "Hampden Hub" and "Hampden Complex" tell you what is the plan going forward. Lesser and Hampden both part of that hub .

I tend to agree however it doesn't feel right for the reasons set out by others. I'm sure there will be rules to prevent this (for good reason) but how then did the Hamilton league game manage to get played at Hampden?

4 minutes ago, mcjameos said:

It would have been interesting to hear her response if the interviewer had (properly) challenged her on that

I tend to agree however it doesn't feel right for the reasons set out by others. I'm sure there will be rules to prevent this (for good reason) but how then did the Hamilton league game manage to get played at Hampden?

To set a precedent. Super smart!

16 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

That should not be allowed.  You can't just pick what ground you want to play at on a whim.  Surely there would be sporting integrity and consistency concerns? 

Was thinking that myself - we got stick for moving the lines on our pitch but we could only do it half way through a season once everyone had played us once on the same dimensions. Why not move games to small stadiums when you want to limit the space and big stadiums when you think you can exploit it if that is the case?

The bizarre precedent has already been set when they were able to use Hampden so it's definitely a fly by the seat of your pants rule.

37 minutes ago, mcjameos said:

Yeah, it would have been good to get a proper answer on that.

Was Hamilton not played at Hampden because Ochilview wasn’t available?