The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

It’s nothing personal against Kenny obviously, and I hope I’m proved wrong and that he does start banging them in for us, but from what I’ve seen of him he just doesn’t offer anything really. His movement is decent tbf, but even when he gets into good positions he never looks like scoring. 

Scott Williamson QPSC 🔥 

9 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

I see ticket sales are now open for the Hamilton game at Hampden but there doesn’t seem to be any reductions or incentives on the ticket pricing which I’m a bit surprised at 

I would expect them to use the Challenge Cup game against Montrose for that. You risk annoying people who have already purchased season tickets if you do that for a league game.

Fingers crossed we see a big crowd regardless, I'm really looking for it.

1 hour ago, Zanetti said:

I would expect them to use the Challenge Cup game against Montrose for that. You risk annoying people who have already purchased season tickets if you do that for a league game.

I've bought a season ticket and would be absolutely  delighted if they reduced the admission price for the Hamilton game.

3 minutes ago, Arachnophile said:

I've bought a season ticket and would be absolutely  delighted if they reduced the admission price for the Hamilton game.

I did too and I can't say I'd be particularly fussed either, but I suspect that's the thought process. 

I've been following the Queen's Park saga with great interest, and as someone who lives close to (Lesser) Hampden, I would consider going to games once you're back there.

I will probably get pelters for saying this - but to an outsider looking in, some of your fans' criticism of your board is a bit harsh. Aye, they have got stuff wrong off the pitch, BUT you have won back-to-back promotions, and you're currently sitting two points of the summit! Does that not count for anything?

With respect to the building work, I know that the cost of building materials went through the roof during Covid. I paid £20 for a bag of cement that would have usually cost me £4...and that was when I could get hold of any at all.

I don't like the concept of the so-called Royal Box. There's something very Victorian about that. Indeed I was reading Buxton Town's history earlier on Wikipedia, as they're not a club I was familiar with, and this made me think of the current situation at Lesser:

Cover was provided for spectators in 1890 (proposals to build a separate pavilion for working-class supporters were not taken forward),[5] at the same time as dressing rooms were built.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buxton_F.C.

Given the limited space at Lesser, I think the notion of the Royal Box is obscene...but then, as a Queen's Park supporter I would happily put up with it if it means that a sugar daddy will invest in the club, which is what I understand you have, no?

What I don't understand, is why the club doesn't increase the capacity by having two standing terraces behind each goal? I believe there's no requirement to have an all-seater stadium to get into the SPL anymore, so that would make sense. You could probably squeeze 1,200 behind each goal that way. 

Are there any plants to have another stand on the west side? I understand the concern not to restrict the views of those in the Royal Box, and they don't want to sit too close to the plebeians, but surely there's some room for development?

This is out of date, now, however with the pitch having been moved down, surely there's a little bit more space on the west side?

1817413931_Screenshot2022-11-2123_10_24.png.624cce006400067a2fe78c6daa4dc58e.png

ETA - pic found on Twitter:

22254090_LesserHampdenNov60A.thumb.jpeg.68aa1fb36bf3c591b3f6c7ec5a382ac7.jpeg

Edited by G_&_T

I imagine a lot of the frustration comes from the lack of communication from Queens Park regarding the stadium build, misinformation relating to the moves to ochilview/falkirk/firhill. 

I'd be frustrated as I see the club doing good things on the pitch but they lose a massive amount of momentum in terms of attracting fans by playing home games miles away. Think how good it would have been for Queens Park to have moved in to a shiny new stadium on the back of promotion from league 2 to league 1, how many more locals/families might have been interested in what was going on with the team on their doorstep, turning pro, going full time, winning games then taking that in the championship the following/this season. It's a big missed opportunity. 

1 hour ago, Northsea80 said:

I imagine a lot of the frustration comes from the lack of communication from Queens Park regarding the stadium build, misinformation relating to the moves to ochilview/falkirk/firhill. 

I'd be frustrated as I see the club doing good things on the pitch but they lose a massive amount of momentum in terms of attracting fans by playing home games miles away. Think how good it would have been for Queens Park to have moved in to a shiny new stadium on the back of promotion from league 2 to league 1, how many more locals/families might have been interested in what was going on with the team on their doorstep, turning pro, going full time, winning games then taking that in the championship the following/this season. It's a big missed opportunity. 

It is, but then the construction industry was hampered by Covid and the price of raw materials. Whilst I would agree that the board has not delivered the new stadium on time, they have more than compensated for that with what they have done off the pitch, IMHO.

I think, as others have suggested, if they get promotion to the SPL then some of the games will have to be played at Hamden proper. Did they not use to play some of their league games at Lesser, btw, or am I imagining that?

2 hours ago, G_&_T said:

It is, but then the construction industry was hampered by Covid and the price of raw materials. Whilst I would agree that the board has not delivered the new stadium on time, they have more than compensated for that with what they have done off the pitch, IMHO.

I think, as others have suggested, if they get promotion to the SPL then some of the games will have to be played at Hamden proper. Did they not use to play some of their league games at Lesser, btw, or am I imagining that?

I remember going to Lesser in the early eighties with my dad I think we stood on a grassy bank opposite from what I assume was the farmhouse. That may have been friendlies though as most times we went to Hampden. 

42 minutes ago, mcjameos said:

I remember going to Lesser in the early eighties with my dad I think we stood on a grassy bank opposite from what I assume was the farmhouse. That may have been friendlies though as most times we went to Hampden. 

Yup, started watching QPFC in the mid-eighties thanks to my Mum's work colleague, (who's son played for them), taking me most weekends.  Remember non-first team and youth games etc being played occasionally at Lesser and definitely remember (vaguely) standing on a bank.  Pretty sure I saw various PL managers there from time to time taking in games, (Jim McLean and Graeme Souness both spring to mind)

2 hours ago, G_&_T said:

Blaming Covid etc. is a smokescreen. Even for those close to the club and the personalities involved, it’s nigh on impossible to establish who has been responsible for what. My keenest observation would be that those mostly involved in the development of football are not those involved in running the club. But even in that, there’s a nuance that says it could be completely the opposite, depending on who is really running the club.

There has also been a policy of distancing going on; we are run by a committee, no board, and many members and supporters had access to these people. That access is now much more contained. The formal access route is almost non-existent now. Communications have been poor. 

The latest example of this was just this week when members were advised that privileges they used to enjoy at Hampden are no longer available, most notably access to the centre stand and private facilities. The reason given was due to other events in the centre stand lounges, hosted by the stadium operators. I’ll boldly predict though that those at the club who will soon be part of the elite, gated-community at Lesser’s West stand will still enjoy the Millennium Lounge and Director’s Box at Hampden, well away from the rest of the fans

If you’ve previously been a Director at a big club, say Celtic or Hibs, having tiered exclusivity is the norm. We have a hardcore support of 500, a third of which travelled to Kirkcaldy on Saturday, so the ratios are very different. Despite the incomers regularly mentioning our club’s great history and that we need to keep the QP ethos, nothing is further from the truth. QP were pioneers, they took the beautiful game to the world and freely shared. Our ethos was inclusiveness and everyone welcome. Now it’s the haves and don’t haves. Just like the rest of British society. 

Which brings us back to the stadium. A succession of poor choices, ignoring good advice from people at the club who cared enough to offer their skills for free, at least two million quid wasted. In any other business heads would have rolled. A dependency has been created that we can’t now do without. That’s why a thousand seats were given up to create 40 really good seats and a lush dining room. It’s bad enough being the haves and have-nots. Now we’ve added in the have-mores.

Ethos my arse!

12 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Blaming Covid etc. is a smokescreen. Even for those close to the club and the personalities involved, it’s nigh on impossible to establish who has been responsible for what. My keenest observation would be that those mostly involved in the development of football are not those involved in running the club. But even in that, there’s a nuance that says it could be completely the opposite, depending on who is really running the club.

There has also been a policy of distancing going on; we are run by a committee, no board, and many members and supporters had access to these people. That access is now much more contained. The formal access route is almost non-existent now. Communications have been poor. 

The latest example of this was just this week when members were advised that privileges they used to enjoy at Hampden are no longer available, most notably access to the centre stand and private facilities. The reason given was due to other events in the centre stand lounges, hosted by the stadium operators. I’ll boldly predict though that those at the club who will soon be part of the elite, gated-community at Lesser’s West stand will still enjoy the Millennium Lounge and Director’s Box at Hampden, well away from the rest of the fans

If you’ve previously been a Director at a big club, say Celtic or Hibs, having tiered exclusivity is the norm. We have a hardcore support of 500, a third of which travelled to Kirkcaldy on Saturday, so the ratios are very different. Despite the incomers regularly mentioning our club’s great history and that we need to keep the QP ethos, nothing is further from the truth. QP were pioneers, they took the beautiful game to the world and freely shared. Our ethos was inclusiveness and everyone welcome. Now it’s the haves and don’t haves. Just like the rest of British society. 

Which brings us back to the stadium. A succession of poor choices, ignoring good advice from people at the club who cared enough to offer their skills for free, at least two million quid wasted. In any other business heads would have rolled. A dependency has been created that we can’t now do without. That’s why a thousand seats were given up to create 40 really good seats and a lush dining room. It’s bad enough being the haves and have-nots. Now we’ve added in the have-mores.

Ethos my arse!

In a few short weeks during summer and into the very early part of the season Arbroath managed to renovate the main stand - new seats, wall, dugouts and reconfigured tunnel area and vip seating; demolish the front wall of the ground and build a new entrance building, new turn-style blocks and offices, resurface the concourse; install new toilets behind the seaside terrace; build new segregation in the corner along with a brand new media centre; upgrade the floodlights and do internal work on the hospitality.

Obviously not to the same scale as building complete stands etc but that was all completed in weeks - if there’s a will there’s a way.

7 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

In a few short weeks during summer and into the very early part of the season Arbroath managed to renovate the main stand - new seats, wall, dugouts and reconfigured tunnel area and vip seating; demolish the front wall of the ground and build a new entrance building, new turn-style blocks and offices, resurface the concourse; install new toilets behind the seaside terrace; build new segregation in the corner along with a brand new media centre; upgrade the floodlights and do internal work on the hospitality.

Obviously not to the same scale as building complete stands etc but that was all completed in weeks - if there’s a will there’s a way.

If there's competence there's a way.