The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

5 hours ago, GM1867 said:

Had a wander round Lesser this morning to take some photos. Had a chat with one of the guys there (an Auchinleck supporter - from Cumnock?). He was saying that the east is nearly done and their contract is to the end of the month. They’ve only been there three or four weeks so far but thinks end of the month is realistic for the east stand. He knows of no plans for the south but did say they were only contracted to complete the east. He heard a rumour a temp stand is to be put up at the south but didn’t know any more and it could be just a rumour. The seats seem to be all but ready. The Royal Box looks a bit behind on this timescale. 

Here’s some photos 

352C14AF-609C-45ED-8D80-E9D0666D04B4.jpeg

01CAB5A7-6D3A-4B98-96CE-17FC55CC825B.jpeg

287E9516-250B-4D5D-9E91-EC69EEDA7BAA.jpeg

471141C6-F74C-43F5-8067-DB540B6F5EBE.jpeg

D84539D6-D9E6-48D8-8B86-C4574858C546.jpeg

F0D5954B-8401-49F0-B7DB-9403C3DC9303.jpeg

They’be pushed on quite a bit since I was there a week past Saturday. Kind of begs the question though; why has it taken the rest of this year to get to this point? Maybe we’ll get the Ne’erday Derby at our own place after all 🤞🏻

3 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

They’be pushed on quite a bit since I was there a week past Saturday. Kind of begs the question though; why has it taken the rest of this year to get to this point? Maybe we’ll get the Ne’erday Derby at our own place after all 🤞🏻

II’m not around Lesser very often so take the opportunity to have a look when I’m in the area. I’ve got to say that progress has been slow, at best, and I had hoped for better improvement since my last visit. Still, progress is being made and I can’t wait to be back in our own home. 

Royal box looks smashing - nice raised viewing platform. Not sure about the stand opposite. Feels pretty low. I always look for filming positions I can't see anything obvious about where you'd set up cameras. Something that you'd think would be taken into account given how big TV is and will presumably continue to be in the future.

If I had a money no object small stadium to build I'd be trying to remake the Bayern Campus Academy ground. They've got the sense to put the seating beginning from about 8ft up.

Caveat is the entire complex is 70 million euros over 30 hectares but the stadium seems fairly practical and utilitarian. Be interesting to cost it without the excesses.

image.png.0becf66ff10b08294e8b49d85b6f3acb.png

2 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Royal box looks smashing - nice raised viewing platform. Not sure about the stand opposite. Feels pretty low. I always look for filming positions I can't see anything obvious about where you'd set up cameras. Something that you'd think would be taken into account given how big TV is and will presumably continue to be in the future.

If I had a money no object small stadium to build I'd be trying to remake the Bayern Campus Academy ground. They've got the sense to put the seating beginning from about 8ft up.

Caveat is the entire complex is 70 million euros over 30 hectares but the stadium seems fairly practical and utilitarian. Be interesting to cost it without the excesses.

Never heard of Bayern Campus. Are they big?

15 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Never heard of Bayern Campus. Are they big?

Bigger than our diddy teams. 6th in the German 4th tier regional division just now. They've dropped a fair way from winning the 3. Liga not long ago.

Barry Hepburn and Liam Morrison (ex-Celtic Scottish boys) are in their under 19's and play every so often for the second squad so not completely mad to keep an eye on them.

3 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

The East stand is my concern too. It looks like it might be quite a shallow angle, and with only 4 rows of seating even the back row doesn't have much elevation.

The stand at Stenny has only 6 or 7 rows, but is quite steep which means you still get a decent view.

I'm hoping the pictures don't do it justice. I suppose we had a fairly limited space to fit the stand into between the pitch and the existing boundary wall, and it looks like they've tried to tie the levels in at the back of the stand with the paving on the other side of the wall for level access/exit at the opening.

The east stand wouldn’t be that much of an issue if they actually built a decent main stand like the original plan showed, extending the stand that was there down to the track etc.
The whole royal box thing is ridiculous. Couldn’t a vip section have been included as part of a normal main stand?

Totally agree.

Not to mention the money wasted on pouring all the concrete to extend that stand only to remove it all again to build the directors box.

I'm sure we could have still moved the changing rooms to their new position in front of the pavilion, built the hospitality suite in the same place, and incorporated director/sponsor seating within a decent West stand.

You could then still have the East stand as is for increased capacity.

Unfortunately it's been a shambles from start to finish.

4 hours ago, Ben Reilly said:

Totally agree.

Not to mention the money wasted on pouring all the concrete to extend that stand only to remove it all again to build the directors box.

I'm sure we could have still moved the changing rooms to their new position in front of the pavilion, built the hospitality suite in the same place, and incorporated director/sponsor seating within a decent West stand.

You could then still have the East stand as is for increased capacity.

Unfortunately it's been a shambles from start to finish.

Think you might find, that the quality of the concrete poured by the original contractor, was why the club fell out with them, and that is why all that they laid has been demolised. The west stand will be I feel extended after the end of this season, as H+S rules will not allow work to be done while we are playing there. 

56 minutes ago, Dooflick said:

Think you might find, that the quality of the concrete poured by the original contractor, was why the club fell out with them, and that is why all that they laid has been demolised. The west stand will be I feel extended after the end of this season, as H+S rules will not allow work to be done while we are playing there. 

With due respect, if the concrete mix was wrong it's because a) the design team didn’t specify what was required or b) the contractor took responsibility for it and got it wrong.

Given the contractor was awarded £834k by the Adjudication (not to mention any payments already paid) and with a contract value of just £1.5M and a job less than a quarter done, it’s pretty obvious where the problems originated from.

The cupboard must be ram-jam-fu’ with skeletons. Maybe that’s why the President has formed his rearguard action?

1 hour ago, Dooflick said:

Regardless of the quality of the concrete poured, or who's fault it may or may not be, the design was still changed from a stand that would hold around 800 spectators with a decent elevation (and which could have easily incorporated VIP seating) to the current build which holds 40-50 people and will probably rule out any future development to increase capacity at the North end of the West side of the pitch. This change came at a considerable cost.

I've not heard any plans to further extend the west stand, but looking at the plans and what has been built so far, I can't see where there will be space for any more capacity there.

Edited by Ben Reilly

For the west to be extended it would likely have to be a continuation of what’s already there, at the same elevation. It’s so close to the touch line it wouldn’t allow for any seating extending down any further. That would obscure the sight lines if they built another stand beside the current west/royal box.

Noticed Stenny made a statement regarding Liam Brown’s loan spell a couple days ago. States he’s got an ongoing medical issue and is only able to take part in light training and is unlikely to play for them for the duration of his loan spell 

All the best to him and hopefully it’s nothing too serious with whatever is going on with him. To effectively be ruled out for the season must be a gutter for the guy

On 04/11/2022 at 18:45, Ben Reilly said:

The East stand is my concern too. It looks like it might be quite a shallow angle, and with only 4 rows of seating even the back row doesn't have much elevation.

The stand at Stenny has only 6 or 7 rows, but is quite steep which means you still get a decent view.

I'm hoping the pictures don't do it justice. I suppose we had a fairly limited space to fit the stand into between the pitch and the existing boundary wall, and it looks like they've tried to tie the levels in at the back of the stand with the paving on the other side of the wall for level access/exit at the opening.

Went past it today and there are 6 rows of seats although can imagine the view in the front two rows in particular will be absolutely terrible.

I do think the East Stand is about as big as you could make it given the boundary wall which makes the decision to sacrifice the full West Side all the more infuriating. 

Edited by Spider Rico

3 hours ago, Spider Rico said:

Went past it today and there are 6 rows of seats although can imagine the view in the front two rows in particular will be absolutely terrible.

I do think the East Stand is about as big as you could make it given the boundary wall which makes the decision to sacrifice the full West Side all the more infuriating. 

Yeah, I saw a picture taken today and see that a couple more rows have been added since the last pics I saw. 

It looks a bit better now, but it's still quite shallow so the back row doesn't have much elevation, and like you say the front couple of rows will be really poor for viewing the whole pitch.