The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

Bit of trivia for Challenge Cup week…the 2007-8 tournament was won by St. Johnstone in a 3-2 thriller against Dunfermline. Manager for the game was Sandy Stewart, long serving no. 2 to Owen Coyle. Coyle had departed a few days before the final to join Burnley but Stewart stayed behind for a week to take the team in the final before joining his liege in East Lancs. So Sandy’s managerial record at Saints was played one, won one; 100% win ratio. It was St Johnstone’s first ever cup win in their 122 year history.

Whilst I hope everyone involved has a great weekend and heroically disgraces themselves in a drunken manner, Ferrie, Robson, Murray and probably a couple of others shouldn’t even be getting on the flight/boat for this.

I’d go with Heraghty, Boateng, Bruce, Eze, Naismith, Bannon, Jarrett, McPake, Longridge, Kenny, Williamson.

Minutes for guys who haven’t had them and ones who are still settling in. Kids on the bench along with the likes of Brown, who hasn’t featured much recently.

Ayr, Thistle and Dundee in October. Morton to be rearranged as well, so keep the big hitters rested for those big games and sharpen up some of the guys we’re probably going to end up needing. That team above is still more than capable of competing and winning a game like this.

1 hour ago, an86 said:

Whilst I hope everyone involved has a great weekend and heroically disgraces themselves in a drunken manner, Ferrie, Robson, Murray and probably a couple of others shouldn’t even be getting on the flight/boat for this.

I’d go with Heraghty, Boateng, Bruce, Eze, Naismith, Bannon, Jarrett, McPake, Longridge, Kenny, Williamson.

Minutes for guys who haven’t had them and ones who are still settling in. Kids on the bench along with the likes of Brown, who hasn’t featured much recently.

Ayr, Thistle and Dundee in October. Morton to be rearranged as well, so keep the big hitters rested for those big games and sharpen up some of the guys we’re probably going to end up needing. That team above is still more than capable of competing and winning a game like this.

Completely Agree. Don’t have Murray anywhere near this game please Owen. Still get the fear he’s gonna pick up another long term injury at some point 

2 hours ago, an86 said:

Not a real competition, though, is it? We’re one step away from inviting shinty teams in.

Can see both sides but, in the end, think I tend to agree with this. There is little to be gained from winning the Challenge Cup at the expense of a play-off place (or better 😳). For me the opportunity to earn the right to play in the SPL beats anything else. Something I never imagined possible when I started following the Spiders. 

Edited by mcjameos

9 minutes ago, mcjameos said:

Can see both sides but, in the end, think I tend to agree with this. There is little to be gained from winning the Challenge Cup at the expense of a play-off place (or better 😳). For me the opportunity to earn the right to play in the SPL beats anything else. Something I never imagined possible when I started following the Spiders. 

To be fair, even if I liked the competition, I’d still be putting out that team. If we’re not going to give these guys vaguely competitive game time in this sort of fixture, when are we going to?

Cliftonville are a part-time side and these guys are full-time pros. At minimum, we should still be highly competitive even with a good number of changes. If we’re not able trust squad players to perform in a game like this, they shouldn’t really be here. 

Edited by an86

27 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Coyle said in the post Accies interview that guys on the bench would be playing. Murray, in particular, shouldn't be anywhere near this one.

He did indeed HD and I’d expect the starting line-up to reflect that. I’d also expect an experienced bench though. Cliftonville will be a tough opponent, especially at home, and an even game with 25 mins to go needs to be won. 

This “diddy” tournament represents the best chance of winning a knockout cup for every team that’s in the hat. I think the rejection of it is largely down to the B team introductions but if we somehow made the finals it would suddenly become special. The players in particular will want to win. As for the big picture, a winning run in a cup is massive for morale and team spirit and would boost league performances too. Anyone at Oswestry that night knows how important these games are.