The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

2 hours ago, qpfc said:

It’s absolutely mental how all our loanees from last season have somehow ended up playing at a level(s) above the one they were utterly woeful in 

Swindon even paid a fee for Ronan Darcy 

I thought Darcy was ok but he didn't get a decent run. Certainly better than McBride, Longstaff and the St Mirren guy.

Yesterday was obviously very disappointing, but today we have a bonus episode of the podcast which we're excited to share.

We sat down with one of the heroes of the 2006/07 promotion winning season David Weatherston, to catch up about his time at the club and beyond.

Unfortunately there were some technical issues while recording, but hopefully they won't impact your enjoyment of it too much.

It's available on Spotify and Apple Music now:

https://linktr.ee/spiderstalk

Well beaten by a good Dundee side. Sure, we could (should?) have scored a couple but we we're always second best today. I have worries about our defence - we're shipping too many goals and really need to tighten up. I accept that our team is fairly new to each other and it takes a while to settle in to a different style of play but we're a good few games into the season and early misunderstandings should be history. I'm disappointed with Eze so far but expect him to come good soon. He should have the experience to help build a solid defence. Kilday I like but he does tend to have the occasional poor display and we can't cope with that against a side like Dundee.

It is good to see that we're creating plenty of chances, even against a tie like Dundee but we need to start putting these away - It'll come, I'm sure.

Only two defeats to decent sides (but I'm still hurting about losing to Ayr) and I'm sure we are going to get better as the season goes on.

Another week, another episode of the only podcast talking about everything Queen's Park FC. We all agree that the defeat to Dundee isn't the end of the world, look to how we'll bounce back on Saturday against Morton, and discuss our favourite wingers/wide midfielders of our time watching Queen's. I continue with my theme of naming an absolute patter XI 😂 find it on Spotify and Apple or by clicking here.

10 hours ago, Smurph said:

Do yous have to change your name?

Assuming this is a "joke", but Queen's Park are named after the nearby park, which was itself named after Mary Queen of Scots. They were also founded in 1867, 59 years before Elizabeth Windsor and 85 years before she was made queen.

3 hours ago, Skeletar Spider said:

Assuming this is a "joke", but Queen's Park are named after the nearby park, which was itself named after Mary Queen of Scots. They were also founded in 1867, 59 years before Elizabeth Windsor and 85 years before she was made queen.

Yeah, it was a shite joke. You're also (not currently) beside King's Park. Thanks.

The proles aren’t permitted to be sufficiently mournful enough to cease wealth production during the week, but are afforded this luxury during their rest from toil. Thank you, Your Majesty. Thank you, Neil Doncaster.

2 hours ago, an86 said:

The proles aren’t permitted to be sufficiently mournful enough to cease wealth production during the week, but are afforded this luxury during their rest from toil. Thank you, Your Majesty. Thank you, Neil Doncaster.

Nothing against the late Queen, but to cancel all games is a wee bit over the top. A minutes silence before KO would have been just fine.

Now every club is looking to try and fit in a mid-week game. Crazy.

4 hours ago, I Zingari said:

Disappointing to see a post like this from a Queen's Park fan. Leave this type of drivel to the Old Firm.

That's a very blinkered response. You think it’s just Celtic fans who have issues with the royal family?

Some Queen’s Park fans have a very wide and deep understanding of what the Monarchy, The Realm, The Commonwealth and The Establishment are really all about. The fitba on a Saturday should be devoid from politics, not punished by it. 

54 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

That's a very blinkered response. You think it’s just Celtic fans who have issues with the royal family?

Some Queen’s Park fans have a very wide and deep understanding of what the Monarchy, The Realm, The Commonwealth and The Establishment are really all about. The fitba on a Saturday should be devoid from politics, not punished by it. 

What next? FTP?

I am no monarchist and I am absolutely furious that the football has been inexplicably cancelled. I have read and mainly enjoyed everything that you have written on here for a long time. Surely however you regret supporting that 3 letter abomination. I grew up hating both of these 3 letter abominations - it's a big part of why I support Queens park. This is football - is it not?

As a profound sceptic regarding the whole monarchical circus I found the three letter post trite, infantile and merely attention seeking. It certainly didn't show a "deep understanding" of what the Monarchy, etc are really about, to paraphrase BYOS. BTW a good first step towards such understanding is to watch a documentary called "The Spider's Web." Coincidence? I think not!

Agree that the cancelling of the fitba' is over the top. HibeeJibee did a good post on the historical context of reactions to the death of a monarch. Mass mourning promoted by a hysterical mass media seems to be a comparatively modern phenomenon. Right, that's my tuppence worth, now it's time to get back to avoiding the BBC.

1 hour ago, Tangled web said:
2 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I am no monarchist and I am absolutely furious that the football has been inexplicably cancelled. I have read and mainly enjoyed everything that you have written on here for a long time. Surely however you regret supporting that 3 letter abomination. I grew up hating both of these 3 letter abominations - it's a big part of why I support Queens park. This is football - is it not?

Thanks for the kind words. I think you should revisit the chain of events. I didn’t offer any support, or criticism, of the original post, merely pointing out to I Zingari his narrow prism, and righteous tone, that comes from living in Glasgow and assuming that any negative language toward the royal family must be allied to the Old Firm. There are many Scots, myself included who abhor both the monarchy and the extreme bigotry displayed by an unhealthy share of both sides of the football divide.  I’m fairly certain the posters comment is aimed directly at the royals for what is going on, not because he’s a Glasgow Tim. Nothing to do with the Old Firm.

Yes it is football. My point precisely. Life goes on. Unless your in the bubble of an outdated group of elitists. Being treated like 18th century peasants is what started the rage. 

Sleep well.