The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

1 hour ago, Mr.Blue said:

Queens Park were very ruthless in the summer when they released the likes of Doyle, Grant, Quitongo and Gillespie. At the moment it seems like the right decision. Having watched quitongo and Gillespie play for us I am curious as to why they were released? They've both started reasonably well at Cappielow. 

Quitongo was a decent impact sub when fit but that wasn't often enough. His pace and strength really did add something when he came off the bench, but I did wonder how much of an impact that would have in the Championship when coming up against players who are quicker and stronger themselves. At the time I'd have maybe considered keeping him, but we've replaced him with better options now.

Gillespie would've been one of the first out the door for me. He was very good in League Two, and alright in the first half of last season, but whenever he played from about December onwards the only contribution he regularly made was to give the ball away (I blame the new hair, personally). Again, we now have better players who fill the same role thankfully!

Still, they were both part of two promotions for us which isn't something many have achieved over the years and I think every Queen's fan wishes them both well (except against us, of course!).

Edited by Zanetti

13 hours ago, Anonymous Spider said:

My whelm is still pretty undered by this but hey-ho, it’s not nothing. 

https://queensparkfc.co.uk/queens-park-giving-kids-a-chance/

Biggest takeaway for me in that it’s a strong indicator that Lesser is coming alive. Surely they won’t run buses of kids through to an already busy Stenny?

My own personal journey with QP started with getting in free, when me and my pal were stoating a ball of the wall one Saturday and two men (wasn’t all bad in the seventies) asked us if we wanted a “lift”. 53 years later and still going strong. 

2 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Biggest takeaway for me in that it’s a strong indicator that Lesser is coming alive. Surely they won’t run buses of kids through to an already busy Stenny?

I thought exactly the same thing. Trying not to get my hopes up, but the fact this 'offer' runs till early November, combined with the eaelier post highlighting the women's game in late November being at Lesser (which could of course just be an error on the website) has me wondering if they are now working towards a return home around that time.

23 hours ago, CathcartSkins said:

Looking at our fixtures for our Womens team, Lesser Hampden is listed for a game on 27Nov22; is this test the event?

Apologies if this has been raised previously.  

33 minutes ago, Ben Reilly said:

I thought exactly the same thing. Trying not to get my hopes up, but the fact this 'offer' runs till early November, combined with the eaelier post highlighting the women's game in late November being at Lesser (which could of course just be an error on the website) has me wondering if they are now working towards a return home around that time.

Looks like it was an error  - lesser Hampden has now been removed. 😒

I was at Station Park last night watching Forfar play Kelty in the Trust Trophy 2nd round. Very impressed with ex-Spider Craig Slater who was composed and tidy on the ball, distributed it well and looked agile in his movement. Clearly played at a high level throughout his career and shouldn't be down at L2 level. 

How was he for you? Did you offer him a new contract or decide to offload him?

1 minute ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I was at Station Park last night watching Forfar play Kelty in the Trust Trophy 2nd round. Very impressed with ex-Spider Craig Slater who was composed and tidy on the ball, distributed it well and looked agile in his movement. Clearly played at a high level throughout his career and shouldn't be down at L2 level. 

How was he for you? Did you offer him a new contract or decide to offload him?

Constantly injured, but clearly a decent player. Part-time looks to be suiting him better. 

18 hours ago, qpfc said:

Still hope he does very well at Clyde in fairness

Nah, he's dead to me now....

All joking aside, I still love the the big handsome b*****d. Thought he was class in League 2 and an absolute rock in last season's play offs. Unfortunately in between that he was crocked and probably fortunate to get offered a one year contract but it was the decent thing to do. Quite surprised at his comments given those circumstances. He's been around long enough in the professional game to know the script. He's probably also benefited in the past from team mates being released.

4 hours ago, harlowspider said:

Talking of errors, it would appear we will be resting the entire Young QP squad for the reserve cup game at Dundee on Nov 22 and will instead field the women’s team.

To be fair, the women might do better than the Young QP did against Dundee Utd reserves last night 😉

Disappointed if he's been critical of Queen's when we did a fair bit to help him (which also helped us, of course). Always came over as a nice guy and I'd have kept him as he is a presence and seems able to organise a defence. Sadly, as was explained at the meetings that David Hunter hosted, OC had to clear a space if he wanted new players in. 

1 hour ago, TheHitman said:

Anyone thinking either of the 'big two' may snap up Cammy Bruce? If so, how much we thinking we could make in fee?

I hope not - he'd be better off hanging on for a season or two with Queen's (for us as well as himself) and notching up a number of first team starts and he certainly seems to be a talent. However, it is good that both of the ugly sisters are looking at him along with a few teams down south.

13 minutes ago, GM1867 said:

I hope not - he'd be better off hanging on for a season or two with Queen's (for us as well as himself) and notching up a number of first team starts and he certainly seems to be a talent. However, it is good that both of the ugly sisters are looking at him along with a few teams down south.

Yeah I 100% think it'll suit him and us if he stayed for a year or two and developed. But as you say, means we are doing something right in developing young talent if clubs are sniffing. 

The club’s made a lot of mileage out of Andy Robertson’s success after being dissed by Celtic. There’s an even more relevant story right now featuring Reagan Thompson, tossed out of Newcastle to end up at Hamilton. The club were slavering to get a transfer fee 2 years ago but it’s not done the player much good. As amateurs we never needed to consider this aspect of the game but the club was very clear at the time of the vote that selling our young stars was a critical part of the business plan. 

It’s a bit of a culture clash - in one conversation we here about our young people and all the development happening with a view to a bright future for the first team and in another, and surely more to come, discussions about selling when the iron’s hot. More change to come to terms with.

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

The club’s made a lot of mileage out of Andy Robertson’s success after being dissed by Celtic. There’s an even more relevant story right now featuring Reagan Thompson, tossed out of Newcastle to end up at Hamilton. The club were slavering to get a transfer fee 2 years ago but it’s not done the player much good. As amateurs we never needed to consider this aspect of the game but the club was very clear at the time of the vote that selling our young stars was a critical part of the business plan. 

It’s a bit of a culture clash - in one conversation we here about our young people and all the development happening with a view to a bright future for the first team and in another, and surely more to come, discussions about selling when the iron’s hot. More change to come to terms with.

I think its clear that if we are to be in any way financially viable in the longer term we need to  be producing players that we can then sell. The difference now is that we are able to offer our young talent professional contracts & the prospect of football at decent level. Cameron Bruce is on a two year contract so if he does go, we would presumably expect a decent price for him (with the now obligatory add-ons.) A few of years back, he would almost certainly be leaving us for free.

Hopefully, he'll elect to stay for at least another season when, if he continues to improve, he will be worth even more. Its a win win situation in my eyes both for the player and the club (but not for the arse-cheeks I am delighted to say)

2 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

The club were slavering to get a transfer fee 2 years ago but it’s not done the player much good. As amateurs we never needed to consider this aspect of the game but the club was very clear at the time of the vote that selling our young stars was a critical part of the business plan. 

It is a steep learning the club are on. I would hope that the present status of the club is such that no "slavering" is now required as we have an alternative development strategy, and in time a proven track record to offer.