The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

Lets take stock of the support's current misgivings regarding the management of the club:

- Claiming that season ticket prices were benchmarked against fellow clubs in the division despite the out of touch price for a child's season ticket.

- The whole 'Lesser Hampden debacle' (including the 'directors stand')

- A lack of communication on a prospective move-in date with supporters, including selling season tickets to fans with no realistic indication of how long they'd be expecting to play at Ochilview. 

- Only giving transport for members & season ticket holders to Ochilview, despite the focus on 'community engagement'. 

- Communication with fans being done through the press and podcasts, rather than communication with members and other stakeholders. 

Add as you please. 

8 minutes ago, HoustonSpider99 said:

Lets take stock of the support's current misgivings regarding the management of the club:

- Claiming that season ticket prices were benchmarked against fellow clubs in the division despite the out of touch price for a child's season ticket.

- The whole 'Lesser Hampden debacle' (including the 'directors stand')

- A lack of communication on a prospective move-in date with supporters, including selling season tickets to fans with no realistic indication of how long they'd be expecting to play at Ochilview. 

- Only giving transport for members & season ticket holders to Ochilview, despite the focus on 'community engagement'. 

- Communication with fans being done through the press and podcasts, rather than communication with members and other stakeholders. 

Add as you please. 

How about voting to go full time to try and get away from the trap door, and then becoming a full power ermine benefactor’s play thing on the fly. We’re this fucking close to signing Haughey’s weans and playing them up front. 

2 hours ago, Ginaro said:

No explanation offered as to why Ochilview is our current squat of choice

2 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Not exactly many other options (assuming non-grass pitches) - basically Alloa or Livingston?

I thought I picked up somewhere that Ochilview was chosen partly due to availability, but particularly because of the quality and size of the new pitch there being most similair to the new pitch at Lesser. I assume this would be to suit the way we want to play.

I now can't remember where I got that from, so it's possible that it's complete nonsense.

If that is the case, then the inconveinience (to put it mildly) to fans of the travelling distance and Friday night games may not have been high on their list of considerations. They have perhaps naively thought that giving the team the best conditions to play attractive football and winning games would be enough for folk to stomach being homeless for a bit longer.

If that is indeed why Ochilview was chosen, then if those reasons were communicated properly from the start, along with a realistic timescale and transparency about the possibility of Friday night games before season tickets went in sale, it might have given us a bit of understanding of why we're playing so far from the south side and made it a bit more palatable.

It’s certainly a bumpy ride at the moment for us Queens fans. 

Leaving the ground after Dundee game, there was a feeling of optimism given that second half performance, that we can make a good fist of this season in the Championship. Then the downer of today’s news and what it is likely to mean for the fan base. 

As most of you have said, it’s the lack of communication and explanation that I think is really killing this back-to-back promotion mood. I’m sure that most of us would have not been put off supporting the club if we were told something along the lines of this back in June…

’Lesser won’t be ready till Feb due to ‘a, b & c’ and we’ll be up in Stennie till then with a few games taking place on Fridays. We appreciate this is not what you want to hear but we can’t do this without you all, our loyal fan base, and look forward to us all coming together again at our new home at Lesser’

9 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

It’s certainly a bumpy ride at the moment for us Queens fans. 

Leaving the ground after Dundee game, there was a feeling of optimism given that second half performance, that we can make a good fist of this season in the Championship. Then the downer of today’s news and what it is likely to mean for the fan base. 

As most of you have said, it’s the lack of communication and explanation that I think is really killing this back-to-back promotion mood. I’m sure that most of us would have not been put off supporting the club if we were told something along the lines of this back in June…

’Lesser won’t be ready till Feb due to ‘a, b & c’ and we’ll be up in Stennie till then with a few games taking place on Fridays. We appreciate this is not what you want to hear but we can’t do this without you all, our loyal fan base, and look forward to us all coming together again at our new home at Lesser’

Give this man a job as Director of Communications.

Edited by Arachnophile

10 hours ago, Zanetti said:

I know Rugby Park is too big and it'd be a fairly soulless experience, but Kilmarnock can't be much (if any) further than Stenhousemuir, it's fairly well connected to Glasgow, and mostly importantly as far as I'm aware they don't already have a tenant.

It's also accessible directly from the southside by bus.

9 hours ago, Arachnophile said:

Give this man a job as Director of Communications.

Dom Cummings would need to be paid off first. Think he’s freelancing as supporter liaison and comms director in relation to Lesser Hampden and general stadia issues.

1 minute ago, an86 said:

Dom Cummings would need to be paid off first. Think he’s freelancing as supporter liaison and comms director in relation to Lesser Hampden and general stadia issues.

I’ve just had it confirmed, Barnard Castle are happy for us to play our home games there - on Saturdays! 

We’re back in the big time…

Call me an old cynic (cause I am) but my observation about the choice of stadium was probably several features but a biggy would be revenue from travelling support. I’ve previously highlighted that a provision for away supporters has been designed into the East stand (at Lesser) which intimates the design team have recognised that as the new design integrates both East and South, designated for away support, that to complete those two stands will further delay the opening. QPFC will recognise the revenue potential for larger travelling supports than we have historically been used to.

Looking at transport networks, especially the road network, across Scotland and considering the location of the other nine teams in the league, Stenhousemuir is more accessible for most teams in the league than Glasgow and certainly Kilmarnock. The M876 is a few minutes from the ground linking west with the M80 and north, south and east with the M9. Larbert station has trains to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Perth, Stirling and Inverness with various connections. The adjacent town centre is connected by bus and has several hospitality venues. Car parking is available locally, certainly much better than at Rugby Park. The stadium itself has a clear physical boundary for home and away fans whereas the temporary away section in Lesser’s east stand will cause some concern amongst fans.

We’ll see with time, but given the sneaky tactics that are becoming the norm it wouldn’t surprise me at all if we are being normalised for a whole-season stay at Ochilview to allow Lesser to be completed on three sides, including the social club refurb. This might well be cost-negative but having big travelling supports will offset rental, buses etc to some degree. Either way, it’s a mess.

3 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

We’ll see with time, but given the sneaky tactics that are becoming the norm it wouldn’t surprise me at all if we are being normalised for a whole-season stay at Ochilview to allow Lesser to be completed on three sides, including the social club refurb. This might well be cost-negative but having big travelling supports will offset rental, buses etc to some degree. Either way, it’s a mess.

As someone with expertise in the area, is there any logistical or financial reason why we couldn’t go ahead building the south at the same time as the east? We’ll surely need some temp seating up the north side as well? As long as the viewing platform is built for the committee and visiting suits, that’s all I’m really worried about tbh.

9 hours ago, Ben Reilly said:

I thought I picked up somewhere that Ochilview was chosen partly due to availability, but particularly because of the quality and size of the new pitch there being most similair to the new pitch at Lesser. I assume this would be to suit the way we want to play.

I now can't remember where I got that from, so it's possible that it's complete nonsense.

If that is the case, then the inconveinience (to put it mildly) to fans of the travelling distance and Friday night games may not have been high on their list of considerations. They have perhaps naively thought that giving the team the best conditions to play attractive football and winning games would be enough for folk to stomach being homeless for a bit longer.

If that is indeed why Ochilview was chosen, then if those reasons were communicated properly from the start, along with a realistic timescale and transparency about the possibility of Friday night games before season tickets went in sale, it might have given us a bit of understanding of why we're playing so far from the south side and made it a bit more palatable.

This was raised previously by an86 about the pitch so the fact that more than one saw it that way was perhaps another slight of hand. Where you got it from (not nonsense) was the original statement that went out by e mail to members where they stated it was a brand new pitch at Ochilview but it’s 4G artificial whereas the new Lesser pitch is hybrid. Hybrid is 95% grass. From a players perspective, no similarity at all as a playing surface. It could be argued that as an artificial surface it is better than say Hamilton or Falkirk but it’s not comparable to a hybrid pitch.

On 15/07/2022 at 18:50, Dave said:

https://linktr.ee/spiderstalk

A brand new podcast for all things Queen's Park FC for any that may be interested in such a thing. First episode is now up, any and all feedback very much welcome!

Just listened to the first episode there and thought it was excellent. Good insight, really good dynamic between the three of you, and just generally very professional.

5 minutes ago, an86 said:

As someone with expertise in the area, is there any logistical or financial reason why we couldn’t go ahead building the south at the same time as the east? We’ll surely need some temp seating up the north side as well? As long as the viewing platform is built for the committee and visiting suits, that’s all I’m really worried about tbh.

On the contrary, it would be much more financially beneficial to be building the south stand in sync with the east, especially as the two are joined by the same roof and the new Home entrance area incorporating gates, toilets, food areas are all shared. Costs such as site establishment (huts) and return visits by various trades would be avoided. Structurally, there would be some additional costs if the East stand needs tied off where it should be joining the South stand.

The north is a different debate. Due to the larger area the club are looking at additional commercial (non-football) buildings, perhaps even flats. Given the fiasco so far there won’t be a rush for that. Temporary stands could be installed quickly but would need a hard standing area to sit on, which currently doesn’t exist. That would be ripped up again once the real stand gets built. So a cost exercise to be done there.

Re the West, the kitchen area is probably of more interest to Building Control than the stand. I’ve still not seen sign of the floodlights being moved which was part of the Design Statement approved by Council and also one of the key requirements for the SFA License. 

24 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

This was raised previously by an86 about the pitch so the fact that more than one saw it that way was perhaps another slight of hand. Where you got it from (not nonsense) was the original statement that went out by e mail to members where they stated it was a brand new pitch at Ochilview but it’s 4G artificial whereas the new Lesser pitch is hybrid. Hybrid is 95% grass. From a players perspective, no similarity at all as a playing surface. It could be argued that as an artificial surface it is better than say Hamilton or Falkirk but it’s not comparable to a hybrid pitch.

Thanks for that, I knew I'd seen it somewhere.

I realise that the Ochilview pitch isn't the same type of surface as the new Lesser pitch, but what I was getting at was that as there are likely no hybrid pitches available to share, Stenny's new pitch is the next best thing and as you say, better than older 4G at other grounds.

That said, I believe Airdrie have just replaced their pitch. I dont know if its the same standard as Stenny but I would guess it might be. Surely that would have been a better option particularly as we've relocated there a couple of times on the past. And re your previous post regarding away support revenue, there would be no issues with capacity for larger away supports at Airdrie.

Perhaps our play off victory may have made it less appealing for Airdrie to want to share 😉 

4 minutes ago, Ben Reilly said:

Thanks for that, I knew I'd seen it somewhere.

I realise that the Ochilview pitch isn't the same type of surface as the new Lesser pitch, but what I was getting at was that as there are likely no hybrid pitches available to share, Stenny's new pitch is the next best thing and as you say, better than older 4G at other grounds.

That said, I believe Airdrie have just replaced their pitch. I dont know if its the same standard as Stenny but I would guess it might be. Surely that would have been a better option particularly as we've relocated there a couple of times on the past. And re your previous post regarding away support revenue, there would be no issues with capacity for larger away supports at Airdrie.

Perhaps our play off victory may have made it less appealing for Airdrie to want to share 😉 

Unfortunately Airdrie already share with Celtic B, Celtic Women, and possibly even someone else so that would have been fairly problematic as well!

11 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Unfortunately Airdrie already share with Celtic B, Celtic Women, and possibly even someone else so that would have been fairly problematic as well!

Glasgow Uni were playing WoSFL games there last season.  Not sure if that's still the case for 2022/23 but could well be.

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

If we've paid £50k to Stenny as has been suggested,  that's not an amount you pay to play half a dozen games in the first couple months of the season, that's an amount you pay to play there for the entire season. 

How is it so hard for our club to come out and tell the fans what is going on with the move to Stenny . Will there be other games on a Friday.

Even the announcement that the  Ayr game was moving to the Friday night was under the banner of Ayr United arrangements . which i thought when i saw it would be about tickets etc .  got that one wrong  duh.

We know that people within the club read this thread well can they please report back that all is not well regarding communication with fans/season ticket holders/members.  

Can we have some honesty please with what is going on.

Fed up and angry  but don't worry i will still turn up.

11 hours ago, TheHitman said:

This is the thing.  They could nip most of the anger and frustration in the bud by being upfront about these things.  Folk would still be a bit pissed off, but at least they'd know what was happening and understand the reasons behind decisions.  For some unobvious reason they continually choose not to do that.  There's plenty of examples of this kind of thing over the last couple of years and you begin to think it's because they genuinely don't give two hoots about the current support.

Edited by Chester Desmond