The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

13 hours ago, Spider Rico said:

Hopefully the Mcpake deal gets confirmed in time for the game on Tuesday.

I do wonder if Coyle might be looking at adding a strong defensive midfielder to the squad. Liam Brown and Patrick Jarrett are good footballers but don’t offer a lot of protection to the back four. Jack Thomson is obviously highly thought of (given the recent contract extensions) but I’m not sure if he is quite ready yet to fill that role in the Championship every week. We could use an alternative option at least.

I was one of the many that thought Thomson wore clown shoes in training and was surprised when he was signed but as Beuker teaches us, they all come good at different times. He had a good end to the season, especially coming back from injury, and I thought on Tuesday his pass success rate was way higher than Brown’s, who continues to over-complicate passing and losing possession for his team. With Thomson’s aggression I suspect he’ll become the midfield anchor with other ball players in and out around him. 

Coyle clearly wants an attacking team so any more midfielders are likely to be channel runners. I confess I know nothing about any of the young guys we have registered but from his interviews there must be a few in there that Coyle expects will work into the playing squad before the winter sets in. And of course, we still have loanees to come in but I’d expect them to be in our mould, to see if they can join the club, rather than our historical position of loanees such as Keena and Brophy who dug us out of a hole.

Good run out for the younger players and for guys looking to get some time on the park. I like the guy Jarret and Williamson increasingly looks like he may well be the man to get goals if Murray is not doing it. There's a real hunger about him.

EK 2 Queen's 3. Full strength EK side including their signings from SPFL clubs.

When I visited last week there were about 20 guys working around the ground. The main things was lifting girders for the east stand but other stuff was happening too.
IMG_3625.thumb.jpeg.f41532346e96c27690ed3a016f37b8d6.jpeg
IMG_3624.thumb.jpeg.ff5da0784de1059fff9a188d8294d666.jpeg
IMG_3626.thumb.jpeg.59be6a0b8f3ca3a756348b5c34f408e3.jpeg

Looking forward to getting lesser Hampden eventually ticked off.
When is the upgrades etc. due for completion?

1 hour ago, WSDR 88 said:

Last week, if our Chief Exec was to be believed six or eight weeks ago. Honestly have no idea. Heard October or November stated, but who knows? 

3 hours ago, WSDR 88 said:

There's been so many completion dates I've lost track. The sooner the better but I've not got my hopes up after being disappointed a few times.

On 15/07/2022 at 18:50, Dave said:

https://linktr.ee/spiderstalk

A brand new podcast for all things Queen's Park FC for any that may be interested in such a thing. First episode is now up, any and all feedback very much welcome!

Thought this was brilliant guys. Really enjoyed listening to this. Well done and looking forward to future podcasts.

Looking forward to a proper test tonight, yes it’s the league cup but will be good to see where we are at against the team likely to win the league.

…If I can see any of it, for the blistering sun expected tonight. 

Dreadful first half, better second tonight. If Lewis Moore hasn’t fallen over instead of shooting at the end we’d have taken it to penalties.

I think the weaknesses in the team were exposed by the first decent side we’ve played. Davidson, Kilday (before he sat down then walked off the park again) and Thompson were miles off it 

Impressed with Jarrett and Savoury along with Charlie Fox

13 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

Dreadful first half, better second tonight. If Lewis Moore hasn’t fallen over instead of shooting at the end we’d have taken it to penalties.

If Jakubiak hadn't missed 2 sitters you would have been no where near penalties. Seriously though I thought it was a good game. From a Dundee perspective the manager's decision to give as many players minutes definitely went against us as I thought we were pretty much in control with McGinn and McGowan on. On tonight's evidence though you guys have absolutely nothing to worry about going into the league season. Was impressed with a number of your players tonight and though you played some tidy stuff throughout. Looking forward to locking horns with you in the league, I can see some tight and entertaining games coming up between us. Good Luck for the new campaign.

Happy enough with that. Really poor stuff 1st half, Particularly from set pieces which seems to be an Achilles heel for us at the moment. We allowed Dundee 3 attempts for their 1st goal and how we allowed a 2 v 1 from from the corner in the build up for the 2nd goal was disappointing. 

However, i took lots of encouragement from 2nd half. Yes Dundee had a couple of guilt edge chances but what’s different from last season is that we seem to have a belief that we’re going to score every time we go forward. We had chances in good areas but we were either very wasteful or took too long to shoot. 

Dundee are definitely a superior team and there is absolutely no shame in that. Although he has the worst haircut in football history, Paul McGowan looked a class act all first half, alongside their number 15 who looked handy out wide. 

For QP, Ferrie was brilliant and once he moved into the centre of the park, Jarrett was superb in midfield. For a small guy, he gets stuck in and isn’t afraid of doing the dirty side which is key whether you make it at this level or not. Unsure on what I think of Dom Thomas so far. He seems fine generally but equally he can be also be fairly frustrating on the ball. Savoury and Jarrett definitely seem the best of the new bunch currently 

I’m still really optimistic going into this season that we’ll be no mugs. 

Edited by qpfc

Learned more from that game than the previous two combined. First half looked like a Premiership side against a League One side. Second half looked like two Championship teams. It could have gone the way of a four or five nil pumping if we hadn’t regrouped at half-time. Really encouraged by how we reacted to a disappointing first half, although I thought Dundee were excellent at times.

Nice goal and a real chance for Moore near the end that he’d surely have scored if he’d made any meaningful connection with it. No complaints about the outcome given the overall balance of play, but also a lot to be encouraged by. We’ll probably be doing business up until the end of the window. The defence is the obvious area that needs both strength and depth and I’m confident that Coyle will see that.