The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

On 25/06/2022 at 14:11, Ben Reilly said:

The deal has been done for quite a while as far as I believe, and we officially took over on the 1st of June.

I was talking to one of the womens players this morning who was talking about the plans for new and/or upgraded pitches going in at somepoint now that we "own it" (my understanding is that we don't actually "own it" but have signed a 50 year lease, which to be fair she also mentioned at one point)

Doubt if it is a 50 year lease, think that must have been miss heard somewhere. WH is commited to us for 10 years was told, so I think 15 years is more likely, plus I heard that he is taking over Nether Pollok on 1st July on a 15 year lease.

49 minutes ago, Dooflick said:

Doubt if it is a 50 year lease, think that must have been miss heard somewhere. WH is commited to us for 10 years was told, so I think 15 years is more likely, plus I heard that he is taking over Nether Pollok on 1st July on a 15 year lease.

50 years has been quoted a number of times by both Dempster and others. It will be the training base for both men's and womens first team squads plus the new 'Young QP' squad and I think also the u18s.

According to thd Community coaches I speak with regularly, Nether Pollok is going to be the site of a new indoor training centre for the rest of the academy and the community teams. This is supposedly to be ready by 2024, but based on the Lesser redevelopment that may be ambitious.

I believe that this isn't being built on the existing Nether Pollok pitches, but on the land on the opposite side of the carpark but I may have picked that part up wrong.

3 hours ago, Ben Reilly said:

50 years has been quoted a number of times by both Dempster and others. It will be the training base for both men's and womens first team squads plus the new 'Young QP' squad and I think also the u18s.

According to thd Community coaches I speak with regularly, Nether Pollok is going to be the site of a new indoor training centre for the rest of the academy and the community teams. This is supposedly to be ready by 2024, but based on the Lesser redevelopment that may be ambitious.

I believe that this isn't being built on the existing Nether Pollok pitches, but on the land on the opposite side of the carpark but I may have picked that part up wrong.

The area plan put up in the slide shows (twice) had the pitches earmarked but it might have moved along since then. Defo fifty years quoted for Lochinch. All wrapped up in whatever “The Trust” is.

13 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Read an article on Twitter that we’re apparently signing Sunderland keeper Jacob Carney on loan 

Hopefully not, he has been playing in the division below the level Luis Longstaff and Connor McBride came from. I'm sure we can do a lot better than that.

24 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Hopefully not, he has been playing in the division below the level Luis Longstaff and Connor McBride came from. I'm sure we can do a lot better than that.

Understandably a degree of caution signing players from England currently when we’ve experienced duds like Longstaff and Mcbride but I’d like to think Coyle and Beuker have done their due diligence on whether he’s capable of making an impact at championship level. No doubt there’s talented players from English under 23 teams, it’s just making sure you recruit the correct ones 

13 hours ago, williebraveheart said:

Leigh Griffiths fighting (boxing) back to fitness. Lost a lot of weight. Could he be one of the "internationalists" Owen was talking to?

I said it last time you had been linked with him, if you want to become a professional club you should be signing professional players

Griffiths is a guy who has been criticised by every manger he played under at Celtic for his lack of fitness, and hasn’t had a decent season since Ronny was in change back in 15/16

His recent stint at Falkirk should be enough to tell you to avoid like the plague. 

Natural ability can only get you so far. 

9 hours ago, Clown Job said:

I said it last time you had been linked with him, if you want to become a professional club you should be signing professional players

Griffiths is a guy who has been criticised by every manger he played under at Celtic for his lack of fitness, and hasn’t had a decent season since Ronny was in change back in 15/16

His recent stint at Falkirk should be enough to tell you to avoid like the plague. 

Natural ability can only get you so far. 

Aye, there’s that…but those two goals against England 💙🤍💙

17 hours ago, Zanetti said:

Are you seriously saying that Scottish Championship is a higher level than Sunderland? They play in front of crowds of 30-40,000. Yes Longstaff and McBride struggled but get real. Some players will not perform in certain teams no matter the level, but a loanee from Sunderland, I will take him. Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Mission said:

Are you seriously saying that Scottish Championship is a higher level than Sunderland? They play in front of crowds of 30-40,000. Yes Longstaff and McBride struggled but get real. Some players will not perform in certain teams no matter the level, but a loanee from Sunderland, I will take him. Thanks.

If he was playing for Sunderland’s first team you may have had a point 

13 minutes ago, Mission said:

I definitely didn't say that, but if we're bringing in another goalkeeper I'd prefer someone with a good bit of experience who is a clear upgrade on Ferrie.

Maybe he'll prove me wrong if we do sign him, but someone from the second tier of England's u23 system which furnished us with a couple of absolutely honkin' loanees last season  doesn't fill me with confidence.

4 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

I definitely didn't say that, but if we're bringing in another goalkeeper I'd prefer someone with a good bit of experience who is a clear upgrade on Ferrie.

Maybe he'll prove me wrong if we do sign him, but someone from the second tier of England's u23 system which furnished us with a couple of absolutely honkin' loanees last season  doesn't fill me with confidence.

One thing is for sure, we need more experienced players into the squad, and quickly. Half of the team from last season and youth players will make survival a tough job. Your point on loanees though is well made, many of them seem to under perform, having struggled to make the grade with their own team.

Just now, Mission said:

One thing is for sure, we need more experienced players into the squad, and quickly. Half of the team from last season and youth players will make survival a tough job. Your point on loanees though is well made, many of them seem to under perform, having struggled to make the grade with their own team.

As qpfc mentioned earlier there's bound to be some talent at that level, but I feel like we fell into the trap last season of assuming that simply coming through at Liverpool for example meant a player must be decent - that clearly isn't the case!

Hopefully with Beuker now involved we're unlikely to make that sort of mistake again. Totally agree that we need a bit more experience though, and I think Coyle recognises this too. We still have over a month until the league starts so I'm not too worried yet.

First friendly on Wednesday where presumably the new kit will be worn, wonder if we are going to get a reveal of it in advance?

Also first home League Cup game a fortnight tomorrow with still no word as to how ticketing etc is going to work at Ochilview 

4 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

First friendly on Wednesday where presumably the new kit will be worn, wonder if we are going to get a reveal of it in advance?

Also first home League Cup game a fortnight tomorrow with still no word as to how ticketing etc is going to work at Ochilview 

A lot of folk will be scraping money together for this as well. It’s not a small outlay. The longer it sits in the account, the harder it is to justify not spending it on actual necessities. Are we the last club in Scotland not to be on sale yet?

6 minutes ago, an86 said:

A lot of folk will be scraping money together for this as well. It’s not a small outlay. The longer it sits in the account, the harder it is to justify not spending it on actual necessities. Are we the last club in Scotland not to be on sale yet?

Haven't we always been?

4 minutes ago, spiders4ever said:

Haven't we always been?

We’re professional now. In fairness, I don’t envy the commercial gig this season. Remit to grow income through attendance and sponsorship and you get dealt the hand of being landed forty miles from where anyone, hardcore fans aside, is interested in your existence.