The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

Whilst I don’t think Thomson is awful, I’m not at the stage where I’ve thought he’s been worth two new deals from what we’ve seen, so far. However, Coyle and Beuker know football inside out and I’m an idiot with an opinion. I trust them implicitly.

I get the whole pathway for youth players that’s being set up and I have no doubts it will be a roaring success over the coming years but I just hope the club aren’t naive to think a small group of first team players and a load of kids will suffice in the championship. Early days yet but I’m hoping a few more are to come through the door 

Going to presume we won’t hear much over the next week regarding signings since the players will be in Holland ? 

Edited by qpfc

I know we lost a lot of loanees and released more players than the majority of teams at the end of last season, but only Thistle and Morton (who signed two of our rejects) have brought in more new faces than us. It's been quiet in general so far.

The Championship is a weird one, because you've got full time guys hoping for offers from the Premiership or down south before they'll consider teams at this level. I'll start panicking if we haven't made a few more signings by mid-July, but it's still early.

Noticed that Stephen Eze commented on the club's Instagram announcement about Fox's new contract, so I would imagine it's just a matter of time before that one is finalised too. 

2 hours ago, dirvy said:

Surely we must get some information on season tickets if they go on sale on Monday.
New kit launch would be nice too.

The later they leave it I fear it will be information that will upset supporters.

Maybe another big price hike? Or maybe make members' tickets available for league games only? That will be a good way to get membership numbers reduced.

I have no idea but the silence is a bit concerning.

1 hour ago, Boris the Spider said:

That will be a good way to get membership numbers reduced.

I see what you’re up to! Reverse psychology to make sure we defy the madness and all rush to be members. 😊

But your right. With another delayed AGM not even being mentioned (the President is due for renewal)it’s surely a matter of time before the Committee is little more than a five-a-side team, adding nothing other than an air of pretence. Members have increasing irrelevance too. We are literally the turkeys that voted for Christmas. 

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Just to cheer us all up…Jason Naismith worldie…

Brilliant, sure cheered me up. Re the President, heard a couple of folk talking as I passed Lesser last week, on the way to my sisters, that he is standing again. Unopposed I presume!!!!

9 minutes ago, Dooflick said:

Brilliant, sure cheered me up. Re the President, heard a couple of folk talking as I passed Lesser last week, on the way to my sisters, that he is standing again. Unopposed I presume!!!!

I’m sure he’ll appear with an online toast to celebrate the opening of the stadium next year. 

1 hour ago, Zanetti said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/queens-park-revolution-behind-scenes-27324182

Coyle quoted here saying there are 4 new signings lined up, including a centre half with international caps, which has to be Eze.

When you say Eze, which Eze is that? There’s 3 brothers. I’m guessing not the one at Crystal Palace?

Couple of other points noted….

looked out over the club’s new training facility at Lochinch in Glasgow’s Pollok Park.” So is that the press telling us the deal is done?

”some of them are really good players, so they’d need to take a drop in salary to come here.” Is that a common thing for “really good” to accept less income?

1 hour ago, Zanetti said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/queens-park-revolution-behind-scenes-27324182

Coyle quoted here saying there are 4 new signings lined up, including a centre half with international caps, which has to be Eze.

Sorry, not lined up. He says”I’m looking to add four” and then says “already talking to a few”. My interpretation of that is he’s identified that he needs another four regulars to shape a starting team and he’s still looking.

2 hours ago, Zanetti said:

Reassuring to read that he’s aware that we’re still a few players away from a competitive lineup. Obviously one looks like to be Stephen Eze which should be an interesting one. 13 caps for Nigeria and was in the preliminary squad for the 2018 World Cup. At 28, should be a really solid addition  

Wonder aswell what players he’s spoke to who are well known internationals in this country but doesn’t expect to sign them. Whether that’s past or present internationals, I’ve no idea but someone like Chris Burke sprung to mind immediately

Edited by qpfc

10 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

When you say Eze, which Eze is that? There’s 3 brothers. I’m guessing not the one at Crystal Palace?

Couple of other points noted….

looked out over the club’s new training facility at Lochinch in Glasgow’s Pollok Park.” So is that the press telling us the deal is done?

”some of them are really good players, so they’d need to take a drop in salary to come here.” Is that a common thing for “really good” to accept less income?

Stephen Eze, played under Coyle in India, follows the club on Instagram already and even commented on the Fox announcement. 13 caps for Nigeria and part of their preliminary squad for the 2018 World Cup although he didn't make the final cut.

4 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Sorry, not lined up. He says”I’m looking to add four” and then says “already talking to a few”. My interpretation of that is he’s identified that he needs another four regulars to shape a starting team and he’s still looking.

You're right, my mistake, but that's still positive enough for me. The important thing is recruitment isn't anywhere near finished and Coyle recognises that the first team needs more quality. I'm sure him and Beuker will manage to bring in the calibre of player we all want to see.

Meanwhile they are all off to The Netherlands for a week for some reason along with all the “Young Queen’s Park” players 

That list is clearly not ready to be a competitive Championship squad. Hopefully someone is working on that while they are away

Edited by Spider Rico

20 hours ago, Dooflick said:

I seem to recall a clause in the Articles somewhere that the President could stay for a third year by agreement. Can’t see a big rush to replace him. Perhaps he wants to do the decent thing and see things through to the end. Another year might just about see The Legacy Arena getting opened.

There’s also a few Committee Members due for election, with no extensions allowed. It’ll be interesting to see if these will be voted on or if a planned reduction will start. Natural Wastage I think the HR wallahs call it.

4 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Stephen Eze, played under Coyle in India, follows the club on Instagram already and even commented on the Fox announcement. 13 caps for Nigeria and part of their preliminary squad for the 2018 World Cup although he didn't make the final cut.

You're right, my mistake, but that's still positive enough for me. The important thing is recruitment isn't anywhere near finished and Coyle recognises that the first team needs more quality. I'm sure him and Beuker will manage to bring in the calibre of player we all want to see.

Thanks. Stephen wasn’t one of the three I found. Eze must be the Nigerian equivalent of Smith.

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I seem to recall a clause in the Articles somewhere that the President could stay for a third year by agreement. Can’t see a big rush to replace him. Perhaps he wants to do the decent thing and see things through to the end. Another year might just about see The Legacy Arena getting opened.

There’s also a few Committee Members due for election, with no extensions allowed. It’ll be interesting to see if these will be voted on or if a planned reduction will start. Natural Wastage I think the HR wallahs call it.

Ultimately, the current setup isn’t sustainable. A corporate side running the club, while the membership is still very bowling club. Seconded by existing members, names pinned up on a wall for a spell for objections etc. Not sure which wall now, right enough! You can’t run a professional football club like that in 2022, though.

I think there has to be a way forward that brings the QPSA and the membership together as one voice. It would have to be a meaningful voice, represent the full cross section of the support, and not just be a token situation where the club pats the reps on the head. The day of the blazer and tie really has to end. It’s football, not investment banking.

There has to be a frank and honest discussion around this. I’ve never quite been comfortable with the almost tiered system. Committee/Member/Season Ticket Holder/Other. There should be one tier and one voice that simply falls under the definition of “fans.”