The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

4 hours ago, Lichtie78 said:

Are the initial plans for lesser hampden not only about 2k capacity?

When the south and west stands are finished, should hold about 3,000. There is room on the north side, behind the other goal, which could house another stand with a capacity of about 1,000 if required.

20 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Given the wages that QP are reputed to be offering players,

Is it a sustainable model though ? 

Reality is that last season we had a heavy percentage of loanees and young players in the squad. The myth seems largely built around speculation on two players, Connel and Murray. There’s probably not more than a handful at the club who know for sure. Despite all the media guff about Haughey & Dempster our Directors are responsible for the accounts and they are not risk takers.

20 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I could be wrong and I would be interested to hear QP fans views but I think the absolute best best best case scenario here would be in the long term to build up to maybe a Partick Thistle type level? 

Again, it’s an easy one for the media to make headlines from but no-one I speak with at the club feels we’re in a race with Thistle. Haughey is now retired from his core business and is enjoying life investing in various projects in the south side of Glasgow. We’re one of them. He’s personally more interested in the youth development side of the club and the women’s team just made a big announcement in their evolution. There’s various sites across Glasgow, mostly in the South, that will have the QP badge above the door. There’s plenty of room for growth south of the river.

But of course all of this will have greater momentum with a better team, established in the upper half of the leagues. We’ve seen improvement in home crowds but still inconsistent and this will undoubtedly take another stumble having to play at Stenny. It’s also worth reminding ourselves that at least two years of Haughey’s eight year commitment has been burned through already. The club really has to get it’s consolidation both with the stadium and the various youth initiatives in place this season, hopefully this year. Tremendous credit has to go to all the players and coaches over the last two seasons. Them and the fans are the only ones to have kept their commitments so far. The suits need to catch up. It’s easy to sound good about the future. They’re finding it a bigger challenge sorting the here and now.

On 10/06/2022 at 14:56, 1320Lichtie said:

I could be wrong and I would be interested to hear QP fans views but I think the absolute best best best case scenario here would be in the long term to build up to maybe a Partick Thistle type level? I dunno if that would be achievable. It’s hard to attract new fans especially when you share a city with the OF. Partick Thistle fans could tell you all about that 

And my point is if Raith or Ayr or Morton had signed Savoury or Thomas nobody would’ve batted an eyelid. If they’ve got a much bigger budget than these teams it’s yet to show 

Our level has dropped considerably in recent years. The last time that we filled Firhill was against Morton when we were fighting them for promotion to the Premiership. It's too big for a club of our size and needs major repairs as well as the new pitch. With no more Weir money to bail us out, we can't afford to overspend on wages.

Consolidation in the Championship should be Spiders' objective this and next season. The new Lesser Hampden should be cheaper to maintain than Firhill so they should be able to offer competitive wages. IIRC there were rumours that we were looking at Thomas too. 

16 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Our level has dropped considerably in recent years. The last time that we filled Firhill was against Morton when we were fighting them for promotion to the Premiership. It's too big for a club of our size and needs major repairs as well as the new pitch. With no more Weir money to bail us out, we can't afford to overspend on wages.

Consolidation in the Championship should be Spiders' objective this and next season. The new Lesser Hampden should be cheaper to maintain than Firhill so they should be able to offer competitive wages. IIRC there were rumours that we were looking at Thomas too. 

Even where you are now I’m not sure QP could reach close to that level. Partick Thistle still a big club 

And again, I’m sure plenty of clubs would’ve been in for Thomas, just like plenty of clubs would’ve been in for Easton. It all just depends on how big a priority he was for clubs and what suited DT personally. DT could end up being QP’s marquee player while maybe Thistle or Ayr or whatever didn’t see him like that  

When Easton signed for Raith there weren’t fans all over the Raith thread saying the things they’ve said on here.

Think it’s pretty unfair on QP they obviously have some kind of business plan and what they’ve done so far is hardly outrageous and par for course. Signed a player who’s been in and around the bottom half championship and a L1 player and there’s guys saying that no other clubs can compete with them and on about Gretna etc 😂 it’s wild 

Just now, spiders4ever said:

Team off to the Netherlands for training and 3 friendly matches.

The article says a group of 30 players is travelling; I believe we currently have 12 players signed for next season, including some of the younger guys and Yeats who's off to Stenny on loan again.

Fingers crossed that means we're in for a busy week in terms of signing news and contract extensions.

1 hour ago, Zanetti said:

The article says a group of 30 players is travelling;

This must be including some of the U18 squad from last season; and like you say hopefully a busy week full of announcements with players now back from holiday. 

Perhaps, we should set up camp at Cathkin Park and look out for who's having their photo taken. 

2 hours ago, CathcartSkins said:

This must be including some of the U18 squad from last season; and like you say hopefully a busy week full of announcements with players now back from holiday. 

Perhaps, we should set up camp at Cathkin Park and look out for who's having their photo taken. 

Makes sense. Safe to assume Beuker has had a say on the destination. The lads will be getting a first-hand demo of how the dented universe works in Holland. Alkmaar Arnhem most likely. Probably get the stadium tour thrown in. 

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks
Should have read the OS first!

On 08/06/2022 at 14:02, williebraveheart said:

I am quite happy to have Callum as first choice. I think he has all the makings to develop into a first class keeper.

I agree with the second sentence. He has all the makings to develop, but is not there yet imo for Championship. I think we could strive for better in the sticks. It's not a disaster by a long shot if he is our starting keeps though... I respect that. 

I liked the Airdrie keeper, Max Currie. QOTS took him but I wish it was us. He's a wee blue nose but a good keeper. :) 

Edited by QPSpider1867

6 hours ago, CathcartSkins said:

Calum Biggar and Jacques Heraghty today. Don't think there was any doubt that they would be signing new contracts.

Edited by Spidersmad

I’m sharing this for fans of other teams who are interested in the QP development but are only getting the Haughey sugar-daddy version from the lazy media wallahs. Feel free to share.

Marijn Beuker joined us in January from AZ Alkmaar, but due to a gap in time between our first team coaches changing he helped take the first team and only now is getting on with his proper job. In the short term of course we’ll have to buy and sell like the rest of the league but the medium-longer term is being built already (even if our new stadium isn’t!) and Owen Coyle and his team have bought into it.  This is just a snippet, there’s many layers to this. I wonder how many boardrooms across the leagues would have the courage to invest in their club’s future with a similar programme? It’s certainly not the Gretna model.

https://queensparkfc.co.uk/queens-park-start-with-young-team/

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

1 hour ago, CathcartSkins said:

I like to think this builds upon the youth work the club has had in place for several decades now; and removes the temptation for our promising players to move on too early in their development, which happened all too often. 

And ensure that the club would then be eligible for compensation,something that we lost out on in the past,when players moved

15 hours ago, QPSpider1867 said:

I agree with the second sentence. He has all the makings to develop, but is not there yet imo for Championship. I think we could strive for better in the sticks. It's not a disaster by a long shot if he is our starting keeps though... I respect that. 

I liked the Airdrie keeper, Max Currie. QOTS took him but I wish it was us. He's a wee blue nose but a good keeper. :) 

The Airdrie fans didn't like him.

Just now, williebraveheart said:

The Airdrie fans didn't like him.

I wouldn’t say we didn’t like him, at worst some fans thought he was a lower end League One keeper with some obvious flaws while others thought he was one of the better keepers in the league. I was closer to the latter and I think he’s currently a better keeper than Ferrie but equally Queen’s Park would need to do better to challenge in the Championship. They’re both still fairly young for their position but Ferrie perhaps has a bit more potential.