The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

10 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Lee Bullen and Graeme Mathie both came out and said last night that we tried to get Dom Thomas but we couldn't get close to what QP were offering. Mathie didn't seem convinced that what the club are doing is sustainable long term. 

Time will tell but surely with the size of Glasgow, given their success, they will start to attract big, big crowds when they play in the City ? That will increase their revenue stream.

11 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Given the wages that QP are reputed to be offering players, there will be no clubs in the Championship or League 1 that will be able to compete if a player is moving solely for money.

Is it a sustainable model though ? Or is Haughey bankrolling it in the same way Mileson did at Gretna ? Albeit Haughey is considerably richer than Mileson.

What QP do have in their favour is, if they ever decide to play in Glasgow, the potential to tap into the potential support and revenue that playing in Scotlands biggest city brings.

Settle. Dundee are probably the only proper ‘big’ spenders in this division anyway. Everyone else will be a much of a muchness. Ourselves and Cove will even have a similar budget to clubs but will have the ‘advantage’ or ‘disadvantage’ of only offering part time football. 

Basic common sense would tell you they’re being backed at a station above their ‘level’ if you like but I doubt it’s anything astronomical or crazy. Although they could go and sign a load of Premiership level players from now and prove that to be nonsense but the guys they’ve signed so far have been playing lower Championship and L1

6 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Time will tell but surely with the size of Glasgow, given their success, they will start to attract big, big crowds when they play in the City ? That will increase their revenue stream.

Aye, & we'll have the Champion's League mi££ions too.🤑🤑

5 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Settle. Dundee are probably the only proper ‘big’ spenders in this division anyway. Everyone else will be a much of a muchness. Ourselves and Cove will even have a similar budget to clubs but will have the ‘advantage’ or ‘disadvantage’ of only offering part time football. 

Basic common sense would tell you they’re being backed at a station above their ‘level’ if you like but I doubt it’s anything astronomical or crazy. Although they could go and sign a load of Premiership level players from now and prove that to be nonsense but the guys they’ve signed so far have been playing lower Championship and L1

I’d be surprised if Morton or Ayr or Raith for example will be able to offer wages on a par with QP tbh. Dundee granted will spend a bit but I’d also expect, for now, they will be backed by a much bigger income through the gates than QP.

It’ll be interesting to see how far they go. Their model appears to be to get a manager to take them out of each decision they play in and it’s worked very well so far.

Are the initial plans for lesser hampden not only about 2k capacity?

2 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I’d be surprised if Morton or Ayr or Raith for example will be able to offer wages on a par with QP tbh. Dundee granted will spend a bit but I’d also expect, for now, they will be backed by a much bigger income through the gates than QP.

It’ll be interesting to see how far they go. Their model appears to be to get a manager to take them out of each decision they play in and it’s worked very well so far.

I could be wrong and I would be interested to hear QP fans views but I think the absolute best best best case scenario here would be in the long term to build up to maybe a Partick Thistle type level? I dunno if that would be achievable. It’s hard to attract new fans especially when you share a city with the OF. Partick Thistle fans could tell you all about that 

And my point is if Raith or Ayr or Morton had signed Savoury or Thomas nobody would’ve batted an eyelid. If they’ve got a much bigger budget than these teams it’s yet to show 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

7 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

They could do, but it’ll take a lot of time and effort, and while Glasgow is a big place, there’s an awful lot of clubs trying to do the same thing. They need to really establish themselves as the community club in the southside to have any chance. That’s obviously difficult just now given they’re not playing there. 

If they can build themselves up to having crowds around the size of ourselves, then I think they’ll have done really quite well. 

Just now, 1320Lichtie said:

I could be wrong and I would be interested to hear QP fans views but I think the absolute best best best case scenario here would be in the long term to build up to maybe a Partick Thistle type level? 

And my point is if Raith or Ayr or Morton had signed Savoury or Thomas nobody would’ve batted an eyelid. If they’ve got a much bigger budget than these teams it’s yet to show 

They wouldn’t but my point is that if it comes down to wages then these 3 teams can’t compete with QP. It’s not a dig. But with an infrastructure including Dempster, Coyle and Beuker I’d suggest they are offering more than most clubs in the 2nd and 3rd tier.

1 minute ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

They wouldn’t but my point is that if it comes down to wages then these 3 teams can’t compete with QP. It’s not a dig. But with an infrastructure including Dempster, Coyle and Beuker I’d suggest they are offering more than most clubs in the 2nd and 3rd tier.

Probably. But again there probably only really is Dundee that have a big budget? Usually you could say Falkirk but look at where they are they seem to be struggling financially and same goes for Dunfermline too. 

Just feel like all this stuff is massively  over exaggerated sometimes, it’s all interesting though. Think the Championship and L1 are the most interesting they’ve been in a long long time.

17 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Probably. But again there probably only really is Dundee that have a big budget? Usually you could say Falkirk but look at where they are they seem to be struggling financially and same goes for Dunfermline too. 

Just feel like all this stuff is massively  over exaggerated sometimes, it’s all interesting though. Think the Championship and L1 are the most interesting they’ve been in a long long time.

Can’t comment on the Pars but we are a mess financially and I can’t see us competing for the title this season. I’d love us to have a sugar daddy but it won’t happen.

Agree they are both interesting and I think a number of teams will fancy their chances of promotion from both.

29 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Not a dig but I noticed on another thread you were actually hoping we'd go the same way as Gretna. You can't seriously be comparing Haughey with Mileson. For a start, Haughey doesn't own Queen's Park, he's not even a director. He's committed to donating us money for at least the next 8 years. Full time football indeed might not be sustainable beyond that (if that funding stops) But we're currently in the process of putting structures in place to support it. I'm pretty sure we'd be able to survive as a part time club anyway. And I reckon we'll probably have a tidy wee ground by then (although probably shouldn't tempt fate on that one)

7 minutes ago, Mick1867 said:

Not a dig but I noticed on another thread you were actually hoping we'd go the same way as Gretna. You can't seriously be comparing Haughey with Mileson. For a start, Haughey doesn't own Queen's Park, he's not even a director. He's committed to donating us money for at least the next 8 years. Full time football indeed might not be sustainable beyond that (if that funding stops) But we're currently in the process of putting structures in place to support it. I'm pretty sure we'd be able to survive as a part time club anyway. And I reckon we'll probably have a tidy wee ground by then (although probably shouldn't tempt fate on that one)

That was tongue in cheek so apologies for any offence caused. Haughey is considerably richer than Mileson too and is also still a very successful business person who’s fortune will grow so very different to Mileson.

You’ve done well to get him on board. When will your ground be ready ?

Very pleased with that. A player that seems to have been linked with several teams over the last few weeks and going by reports on here, seems a really solid addition 

Thomas and Savoury being the first 2 additions seems very exciting on paper and hopefully that transpires when the games come. Would like to think there will be a few more over the next week before pre season begins 

Also announce Charlie Fox please. Can’t imagine he’ll be short of offers elsewhere 

Edited by qpfc