The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Would you take Luca back? Interesting to see if he stays in Scotland or heads South

Screenshot_20220603-154254.jpg

It’s a weird one with Connell. Quite clearly an extremely talented player but there were many games where i was unconvinced, particularly attitude wise. I do think he was misused when it came to how we used him. Too many occasions he was put in the holding midfield or “quarterback” role and maybe with his lack of physicality, it was set up for him not to work out there but like what’s been mentioned already, he tried wee stupid flicks in horrible areas of the pitch and tended to over complicate things which were responsible for a couple goals against us across the season 

Would I sign him? Yes, but only for the right price. Although his rumoured wages at Celtic are high, i don’t see many if not any team that will pay anywhere near those wages at this moment in time. 

Edited by qpfc

I really like Connell. I agree that at times his attitude was questionable over the course of last season, but that could be said about a few other players too, and might've just been a symptom of us lacking any real leadership until Coyle (unofficially) took over. He was one of our best players in the four playoff games, and undoubtedly stepped up when it mattered.

He always comes across as quite a sensible guy in interviews and I'm sure he recognises that he's very unlikely to be offered anything like the £5k a week he was allegedly on at Celtic. I would definitely take him at the upper limits of what we want to pay this upcoming season, and I don't think it would be unreasonable to expect him to be one of our top earners, but we shouldn't be offering anything outrageous to get him back.

18 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

It was the irony of being homeless that caught my eye!

Yes,how long will be be homeless? I am having lunch with my sister who lives in Sumerville Drive, and looking into Lesser, and low and behold what was left of the West stand has been virtually demolished. Are we changing things round and leaving the South stand until later, now that we are in the Championship, and rebuilding the West for the home support and putting away supporters into the East stand? 

24 minutes ago, Dooflick said:

Yes,how long will be be homeless? I am having lunch with my sister who lives in Sumerville Drive, and looking into Lesser, and low and behold what was left of the West stand has been virtually demolished. Are we changing things round and leaving the South stand until later, now that we are in the Championship, and rebuilding the West for the home support and putting away supporters into the East stand? 

That would require a new/amended planning application which hasn’t happened 

18 hours ago, Dooflick said:

As Spider Rico says, there’s two separate planning applications serviced by two separate design firms. Whilst changing home or away means nothing to a planner, though it might for the SFA,  my measured guest would be the West stand is critical to the club for sponsorship and high-value entertainment. It also ties in with the revamp of the pavilion (the design team on both of these is an Internal Designer, not a construction architect). The south stand is part of the original architects package. In theory East and South stands can be built separately but when the design was revamped the roof on both was continuous to cover the Home entrance, toilet blocks and food stand in the SE corner. It was all brought together with a metal cladding system that disguises the varying heights of the perimeter wall. So not doing the south stand in sync with the east stand will mean return visits for the cladders and roofers and it’s highly unlikely it would have been priced that way. More cost.

There’s provision in the new design for a temporary turnstile for use by Away fans at the NE corner but given the main entrance is fubar I wouldn’t be surprised if they try use that for home and away. SFA would have a view on that. Probability is the East is for QP only using the temporary gate. South stand won’t be for a while yet. No room for visitors. 

But what do I know….

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

4 hours ago, williebraveheart said:

Luca linked with Fleetwood this morning. Whilst I would be happy to see him back I will not cry tears if we don't get him.

I see Scott Brown’s head coach there so that would be the connection. Tough for a team the size of Fleetwood with the salary cap rule to make progress higher than L1.  

On 30/05/2022 at 06:07, eez-eh said:

You’ll only have 2 home games on the telly. BBC can’t visit the same ground more than twice.

It’ll be interesting to see the BBC view on attractive matches this season. When Hearts were here, they got on about 11 of the 20 televised matches, one away match at each other side plus the two home matches that would draw best viewer numbers. Last year Killie seemed the relative darling, so the early favorite for darling this season is probably Dundee. Your best bet would be on TV at “home” vs Dundee and probably Plastic.

3 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I see Scott Brown’s head coach there so that would be the connection. Tough for a team the size of Fleetwood with the salary cap rule to make progress higher than L1.  

There are no salary cap rules in English football? 

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Somewhat correct, the cap was scrapped, but there are limits based on player-expenses and turnover…it’s what killed Bury.

16 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Maybe I’m calling it the wrong thing. UEFA has just launched a replacement but it’s unclear if that applies to all levels. Fleetwood would still be governed by the EFL for this coming season by the looks of the below.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/uefa-ffp-financial-rules-changes-26659817

http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/scmp.php

6 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Maybe I’m calling it the wrong thing. UEFA has just launched a replacement but it’s unclear if that applies to all levels. Fleetwood would still be governed by the EFL for this coming season by the looks of the below.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/uefa-ffp-financial-rules-changes-26659817

http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/scmp.php

“ The latter is what the FSCLR calls the “squad cost rule”. It means a club's outlay on transfers, wages and agent fees cannot exceed 70 per cent of its revenue.”

I am no expert on finances but I am sure most financially prudent clubs would not be doing that anyway

6 minutes ago, Spidersmad said:

Tommy Robson signs two year contract - and gets photographed at First and Second Hampdens.

https://queensparkfc.co.uk/tommy-robson-signs-new-contract/

Out of interest, how has he been for you guys, and are you happy to see him stay?

I ask because I’ve watched him at this level before, and it was a harrowing experience. 

22 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Out of interest, how has he been for you guys, and are you happy to see him stay?

I ask because I’ve watched him at this level before, and it was a harrowing experience. 

I like him, particularly over the last 6 months where he’s improved considerably I’d say. He’s always been decent going forward but defensively there’s been question marks. However he’s came on leaps and bounds in that aspect and ultimately became one of the most reliable players in the squad. Definitely think he’s more than capable now of championship football after a good couple of years with us 

Edited by qpfc

40 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

The first half of this season, he was very poor defensively. A lot of opposition crosses came from his side as he was usually halfway up the park when we conceded possession. However as @qpfcsays, the 2nd half of the season you could argue he was our most consistent player. He’s got some engine on him and is a threat going forward.

He’s earned his new deal. 

11 minutes ago, Gall09 said:

, the 2nd half of the season you could argue he was our most consistent player. He’s got some engine on him and is a threat going forward.

He’s earned his new deal. 

I agree; played a blinder in the play-offs. Seemed to get fitter as the season went on.

Also, his performances improved with the appearance of OC on the sidelines, as it did for a few others.

Who would have thought an experienced coach, with tactical nous and clear instructions would improve players.