UEFA Nations League: Group B1

Donathan

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

It might be advantageous to have the extra game in September as we'll have a clearer picture of how the group is looking at the end of June and a game in hand over 2 of our rivals. 

Even if we make a royal arse out of it this month, and say get 4 or 5 points, two wins v Ukraine in September probably still wins the group.

That's a long shot, but whilst we're still in it, there's everything to play for.

It's a hard group to predict because 1) Armenia are both awful and effective 2) Ireland are dire, but quite capable of being stuffy and used to stealing points and scoreless draws, 3) Ukraine are a good outfit, but may struggle with fitness in June, and again in September, and 4) we are both capable of winning every game, and dropping points everywhere.

If I was a neutral I'd watch our group, but wouldn't be putting money on anything.

For us, a boring draw between ROI and Ukraine tonight (and again next week) would be helpful.

3 hours ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Even if we make a royal arse out of it this month, and say get 4 or 5 points, two wins v Ukraine in September probably still wins the group.

That's a long shot, but whilst we're still in it, there's everything to play for.

Unfortunately, I can almost visualise that being the message of Steve Clarke's media conference after these upcoming 3 games...

...on the upside, even if that does happen, he has dug us right out of that sort of hole before (in the WC qualifying group just gone, where there was a lot of despondency after the first 4 games - W1 D2 L1).

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

Unfortunately, I can almost visualise that being the message of Steve Clarke's media conference after these upcoming 3 games...

...on the upside, even if that does happen, he has dug us right out of that sort of hole before (in the WC qualifying group just gone, where there was a lot of despondency after the first 4 games - W1 D2 L1).

Yup, I can absolutely imagine it.

Alternatively, us winning all three of these games would be very very very unlike us.

That would only just be behind the streak we went in 2021.  We rarely ever achieve that.

Neither team looking particularly great so far.
Armenia have a decent amount of space to use on the break but, same as against us, they just aren't good enough to use it.
The good news is they seem to be defending a little bit better.

Yeah no surprise to see Ukraine mopping up this group. They’re comfortably the best team in it and will surely win it at a canter if they can get their team on the pitch for the remaining three games.

Well Ireland are ahead away to Ukraine at HT. easy to understand with the amour of games Ukraine have had to play. Is this the best result or would a draw suit us better ?

Ignore. I see it is being discussed in the Armenia v Scotland thread. Which is not technically correct imho [emoji14]

Assuming Ukraine and Ireland both beat Armenia, my maths is saying we either need to:

- Beat Ukraine home and away (Ireland result wouldn’t matter)

- Take 4 points off Ukraine and get at least a point v Ireland.

Obviously if Armenia stun Ukraine then it all changes 

Assuming Ukraine and Ireland both beat Armenia, my maths is saying we either need to:

- Beat Ukraine home and away (Ireland result wouldn’t matter)

- Take 4 points off Ukraine and get at least a point v Ireland.

Obviously if Armenia stun Ukraine then it all changes 
Arithmetic

• 2 months later...

Some clear and consistent messaging given for the final Nations League games.

June

• 'Obviously was a disappointing June for us, we didn’t hide from that at the time, we don’t hide from it now.'
  • 'If I’m being honest about it I think June was the first time where I felt as though we stopped.'
  • 'I felt like we stalled a little bit in the summer.'

Pick up the Progress

•  ‘Now’s the time to put that behind us and start progressing forward again.’
  • ‘We have to pick up the mantle if you like and start progressing again through these three difficult matches.’
  • ‘It would be nice to pick up the progress again.’

Right a few wrongs

• ‘We have to go out there, we have to do better than we did in the summer.’
  • ‘We have the opportunity in these matches to right a few wrongs from the summer and that’s what we aim to do.’

Win the Group

• ‘We want to come out these matches in 1st place in the group.’
  • ‘We have to pick up the points that we need to top the group.’