UEFA Nations League: Group B1

Donathan

10 hours ago, Donathan said:

It’s interesting that the single biggest benefit of winning the group is the least talked about one.

Forget the guaranteed playoff and forget being in the top two. Getting promoted to league A and a chance to mingle with Europe’s elite is the single best thing for the development of this young group of players 

I am not 100% convinced by this line of thought. It's what resulted in absolute hoofings from Europe's elite under Bertie, which set the tone for a terrible time 

Possible outcomes after this round of fixtures. Interesting that only one scenario will see Scotland drop from top spot and that if Armenia and Ireland get victories then the group could be considered to be quite open again. I think it's fantastic that the Armenia - Ukraine game will be done before our game kicks off.

image.png.d26be0845ccbf12fb3c959b3cf78f795.png

Edited by 2426255

43 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Possible outcomes after this round of fixtures. Interesting that only one scenario will see Scotland drop from top spot and that if Armenia and Ireland get victories then the group could be considered to be quite open again. I think it's fantastic that the Armenia - Ukraine game will be done before our game kicks off.

image.png.d26be0845ccbf12fb3c959b3cf78f795.png

Worth saying that in the bottom-middle and bottom-right scenarios we'd still have to beat Ukraine away as Ireland beating Armenia at home wins them the group otherwise.

8 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

An Armenia result and a win for us would really make Tuesday enjoyable. Could allow for some rotation - something which UNL doesn’t offer.

I don’t miss friendlies even slightly, but it has made our goalkeeper issue even more problematic.

You’d still want a result on Tuesday to try and improve the chances of a home SF (Although with being in pot 2, you’d hope the playoffs are really just there as a repechage should the proper qualifying go pear shaped), but yeah I think you want to at least give Liam Kelly a game between the sticks and probably give starts to some of the players where the drop off isn’t as significant. 

You’d still want a result on Tuesday to try and improve the chances of a home SF (Although with being in pot 2, you’d hope the playoffs are really just there as a repechage should the proper qualifying go pear shaped), but yeah I think you want to at least give Liam Kelly a game between the sticks and probably give starts to some of the players where the drop off isn’t as significant. 
Kudos for use of "repechage"

As for Kelly getting a cap, it sounds like that might even happen tonight - Craig Gordon is apparently on standby to drop out of his Mrs goes into labour today

A fair amount of rotation from Ukraine v Armenia

0A1AEED1-B761-4157-B691-87D49D49D1BF.jpeg

Edit:

One caution from a suspension.

Starting: Yaremchuk, Sydrochuk, Mykolenko

Bench: Yarmolenko, Stepanenko, Matvienko, Malinovksi, Bondar

Here’s hoping for another Armenia fighting show.  Hopefully discipline alludes them both in a terrible 0-0

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

22 hours ago, Donathan said:

It’s interesting that the single biggest benefit of winning the group is the least talked about one.

Forget the guaranteed playoff and forget being in the top two. Getting promoted to league A and a chance to mingle with Europe’s elite is the single best thing for the development of this young group of players 

Baws. Billy Gilmour will never be truly world class without regularly battering f**k out of Gretna and Dalbeattie Star.

24 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Ukraine have been quite poor if you ask me. Armenia have played like they played against us in the 1st half before they pushed self destruct.

They’ve been pretty poor. Probably the result of changing all XI.

2-0 now. Not exactly against the run of play, but they haven’t created a whole lot.

Armenia are very strange. Plenty of flair and attack-minded, yet lose the plot like a bunch of weans in the huff.

Fully expecting a petulant sending-off now that it's pretty likely that Ukraine are winning this.